Author Topic: Looking for advice on harness racing  (Read 13693 times)

Swale84

• NW-1
Looking for advice on harness racing
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:07 PM »
I’m looking for advice on getting into harness racing. Who are some trainers that are good to work for?  I know horses, my background is in Thoroughbred racing, but I want to break into Standardbreds. I want to learn about the equipment, training methods, and eventually learn to jog. Would anyone be willing to take a chance on someone who knows horses, but is green to the sport of harness racing? 

I’ve been reading through this forum and you all don’t paint a pretty picture of the sport.

Rabbi Of Racing

Re: Looking for advice on harness racing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
This is the best advice you will ever get about any subject in your whole life..........DO NOT GET INTO HARNESS RACING!!!! God Bless

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:27 PM »
Buy a few horses give to most expensive trainer u will get the best possible results tmbz1
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

burdman

• 4 claimer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
Listen to the Rabbi of Racing. I used to be involved and unless you are a chemist and have no love or regard for the animals this is not the sport for you.

EPM

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 09:18:26 PM »
Of course people would give you a chance...If you handled horses before that's a big plus..not hard to learn how to put equipment on etc...Have fun and Good Luck.

Powerful Patricks Ghost

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »
buy a paper shredder and put your money into that instead.

Jazzman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
i suggest u find a small stable where they can show u the ropes u will have to take reduced pay but that will get better as u gain experience good luck

PIGLAND

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:04 AM »
I’m looking for advice on getting into harness racing. Who are some trainers that are good to work for?  I know horses, my background is in Thoroughbred racing, but I want to break into Standardbreds. I want to learn about the equipment, training methods, and eventually learn to jog. Would anyone be willing to take a chance on someone who knows horses, but is green to the sport of harness racing? 

I’ve been reading through this forum and you all don’t paint a pretty picture of the sport.
you came to the right place

Fair is fair

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:27:08 AM »

Ignore all the jealous haters. Even with all the integrity issues and lack of consistency. Harness horses are 1 one the most amazing animals to be around on a daily basis. Find someone on a farm looking for help to teach you about horsemanship. There are plenty of trainers willing to teach you the ropes and their system. Good luck

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
 Buy some shares in TheStable.ca  Very successful, only use top trainers and top drivers. Easy way to make money.

Carnival People

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »

This is advice from a guy 70+ years old who made a lot of money in harness racing.  I started when I was 12 years old and still keep a few mares and retired old horses.  I am not angry or bitter about the industry.  It made me money and helped me raise three great kids who are all 6 digit money-makers in the business and medicine world.  But this is what I would tell you now if you were my kid.

A)  If you are young, go to school.  Get a college degree.  Get a job and don't go anywhere near the harness business.  Do not bet.  Do not think there is anything glamorous about harness racing or racetracks.
B)  If you do try take a shot you will never find anyone who will teach you or help you without taking advantage of you or robbing and cheating you. 
3)  You will NOT make any money unless you are already wealthy and you can buy good babies and even then you have to get really lucky.  Odds are really bad against you.
4) Be prepared to have NO LIFE!  Your friends with regular jobs ( white collar or small business owners) will have fun and family and security and you will work 24 hours a day with zero chance for reward.
5) If you are older than 17 forget it.  You will never be good at it, especially if you want to be a driver.
6) All of the above apply now more than ever because harness racing is a dead industry.  There is zero future.
7) For every Brian Sears and Ron Burke, there are 200 drivers and trainers who qualify for food stamps.  Most have no health insurance.

PLEASE LISTEN:   I am an old guy.  I made a great living in harness racing, but it was tough and gritty.  And that was back in the days when there was tons of money to be made.  Now there is none.  Please run for your life and find some other job.  I never allowed any of my three children near the horse business.  They thank me every day.  If you were my son or daughter I would discourage you until you hated me. 

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »
you came to the right place
I'm doing good too.

SwampDog

• Top Claimer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
Where are you located?

Swale84

• NW-1
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
I started out as a groom, then 2nd trainer, then finally got my drivers license. I did pretty well. But I had no life outside of harness racing. Constant travel. Hotels when i was lucky, crappy tack rooms most times but i still loved it. I was very fortunate to get my start with Tommy Paver who was honest and very helpful. This was in the days before the chemical warfare took over. I was crunched up in a pileup at northfield when they still had that godawful pvc rail. I haven't driven since. I miss the racing and the horses but it's a lot different today than it was then.  I wish you luck if you head down that path. There are still a couple mom and pop stables out there but they probably won't be for much longer. And don't be a beard. Under any circumstance. Walk away.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Diddy say All's Good.  I'm happy this brother set free
    March 27, 2024, 11:57:59 AM
  • Unclejerry: Dr, Poopenstein was really P.Diddy
    March 27, 2024, 10:08:00 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: P. Diddle aint coming back here EVER!
    March 27, 2024, 07:54:44 AM
  • Calhoun: Damn.. P Diddy on the run .. That young puzzy be costing him.
    March 26, 2024, 08:08:38 AM
  • Calhoun: Closing Day .. Red Mile Quarter Horse
    March 26, 2024, 08:07:25 AM
  • Mazola: ngc3
    March 25, 2024, 10:00:52 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: thet're sisters
    March 25, 2024, 09:04:44 PM
  • Mazola: I heard that he is somehow related to Blutarsky but I can't believe that.
    March 25, 2024, 07:31:04 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal