Author Topic: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions  (Read 294 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Trigger

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 12825
Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« on: Today at 10:15:23 AM »
JT corrected me as I thought Horizontals are ex, tri, sup as they go straight across...and I thought Verticals are multi leg prick 3,4,5,6 because races go up and down.

Said I had their usage definition "mixed up".

Seriously, make an argument for this logic that I'm wrong, otherwise I'm changing the glossary here!  ;D

Kenny

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1073
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:18:33 AM »
JT corrected me as I thought Horizontals are ex, tri, sup as they go straight across...and I thought Verticals are multi leg prick 3,4,5,6 because races go up and down.

Said I had their usage definition "mixed up".

Seriously, make an argument for this logic that I'm wrong, otherwise I'm changing the glossary here!  ;D

I degenerate gambler who does not know the basic.  ngc3

Trigger

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 12825
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:24:07 AM »
I degenerate gambler who does not know the basic.  ngc3

Shhh if you can't behave like an adult.  ngc3

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3707
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:43:35 AM »
I degenerate gambler who does not know the basic.  ngc3
Kenny why do you always put down us gamblers?
Honest question
No gambling = no racing
Remember the scene in the movie Let it Ride with Richard Dreyfuss
Terri Garr, who I always thought was attractive says..
"I don't know why you people can't just watch the horses run around the track and not bet on them"
She then gets completely laughed at and mocked in the clubhouse  ngc3
Then Richard Dreyfuss says..
"There is no racing without betting."
But yet you and others on here slam the gamblers
One of many reasons racing is dying
The gamblers get shit on

Trigger

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 12825
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:49:26 AM »
Kenny why do you always put down us gamblers?
Honest question
No gambling = no racing
Remember the scene in the movie Let it Ride with Richard Dreyfuss
Terri Garr, who I always thought was attractive says..
"I don't know why you people can't just watch the horses run around the track and not bet on them"
She then gets completely laughed at and mocked in the clubhouse  ngc3
Then Richard Dreyfuss says..
"There is no racing without betting."
But yet you and others on here slam the gamblers
One of many reasons racing is dying
The gamblers get shit on

 tmbz1 ngc3 tmbz1

"Let It Ride"

Great flick, the best!  ;D

wiggles44

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2110
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:03:09 AM »
Shhh if you can't behave like an adult.  ngc3




Ignorance Is Bliss

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 7660

wiggles44

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2110
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:42:20 AM »

shh CUNT.  tmbz1

Someone sounds “triggered”
:)

Trigger

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 12825
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:43:32 AM »
Someone sounds “triggered”
:)

All over your ugly stupid plop face  ngc3

Ignorance Is Bliss

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 7660
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:44:18 AM »
All over your ugly stupid plop face  ngc3

I never posted this one, Gaagoots the last time he felt the heat and was begging for a truce!  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3


wiggles44

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2110
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:18:33 PM »
I never posted this one, Gaagoots the last time he felt the heat and was begging for a truce!  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3



Good for you Mike
:)

Kirby's Ace

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4766
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:41:43 PM »
All over your ugly stupid plop face  ngc3
Now he's  11.wj of picture's of wiggles44 face!

NASTY

9/09/26 A day of celebration!

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2618
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:44:36 PM »
Kenny why do you always put down us gamblers?
Honest question
No gambling = no racing
Remember the scene in the movie Let it Ride with Richard Dreyfuss
Terri Garr, who I always thought was attractive says..
"I don't know why you people can't just watch the horses run around the track and not bet on them"
She then gets completely laughed at and mocked in the clubhouse  ngc3
Then Richard Dreyfuss says..
"There is no racing without betting."
But yet you and others on here slam the gamblers
One of many reasons racing is dying
The gamblers get shit on
One of the best racing movies ever! What a bunch of wild characters! Love them!

Kenny

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1073
Re: Horizontal & Vertical Definitions
« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:08:57 PM »
Shhh if you can't behave like an adult.  ngc3

A degenerate gambler how does not know the difference between vertical and horizontal wagers.

For "Trigger" who is obviously "slow":

Quote
In horse racing and sports betting, the primary difference is that vertical wagers require you to predict the correct finishing order of horses within a single race, while horizontal wagers require you to predict the outright winners of multiple consecutive races. Both are classified as "exotic bets," meaning they carry higher difficulty but much larger potential payouts than standard single-horse bets. [1, 2, 3, 4]
## Direct Comparison

| Feature | Vertical Wagers (Intra-Race) | Horizontal Wagers (Multi-Race) |
|---|---|---|
| Number of Races | One single race | Multiple consecutive races (usually 2 to 6) |
| Goal | Predict the exact sequence of the top finishers (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.). | Predict only the 1st place winner of each race in the sequence. |
| Common Examples | Exacta, Trifecta, Superfecta, Super High Five. | Daily Double, Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 5, Pick 6. |
| Core Strategy | Analyzing how different horses match up against each other in pace and class to fill out lower slots (2nd–4th). | Handicapping across a broader card to find reliable winners or "singles" to lean on. |
| Customization Tactics | Boxing (allowing selections to finish in any order) or Wheeling (pinning a specific horse to a position). | Spreading (selecting multiple potential winners in a single leg to stay alive in the sequence). |

## Understanding Vertical Wagers
The term "vertical" comes from structuring your bet from the top down on a single race ticket. You are trying to figure out who wins, who places second, who places third, and so on. Because you have to be exactly right about the order, vertical bets can be highly unpredictable; a "sneaky longshot" finishing a surprise 3rd or 4th can skyrocket your payout. [1, 3, 4, 5]
## Understanding Horizontal Wagers
The term "horizontal" comes from looking straight across the racing program at a sequence of separate events. Instead of worrying about who finishes 2nd or 3rd, your sole focus is finding the winner of every single race in your chosen sequence (e.g., hitting all winners in races 3 through 6 for a Pick 4). If even one of your selected horses fails to win their race, the entire ticket is lost. [1, 4, 6]
Are you trying to structure a specific ticket for an upcoming race day? If so, let me know your budget and experience level so I can suggest how to use boxes or multi-race fields to build your bet.

[1] [https://en.wikipedia.org](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betting_on_horse_racing)
[2] [https://www.bettorsworld.com](https://www.bettorsworld.com/how-to-bet-the-belmont-stakes-vertical-wagers-exacta-trifecta-superfecta/)
[3] [https://www.suffolkgazette.com](https://www.suffolkgazette.com/horse-betting-101-the-basics-in-wagering-horse-racing-events/)
[4] [https://www.sportsbettingdime.com](https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/how-to/horse-racing-terminology/)
[5] [https://www.canterburypark.com](https://www.canterburypark.com/vertical-or-horizontal/)
[6] [https://www.sportsbettingdime.com](https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/how-to/horse-racing-bet-types/)

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Dingus: Sea Bistro no slouch here
    Today at 04:27:18 PM
  • JT: Beau Jangles up next at Lexington on 5 or 6 days rest. Lets see if the Monopoly Man has him ready  ngc3
    Today at 04:22:59 PM
  • Trigger: You never quite experienced your enemy until you're wiping them off your ass...Kirby & Calhoun fit that description  ngc3
    Today at 04:22:21 PM
  • JT: Lasted about 30 minutes  ngc3
    Today at 04:12:37 PM
  • JT: I tried a peace accord. With all parties involved. It failed miserably ngc3
    Today at 04:12:16 PM
  • wiggles44: Take a break Mike :)
    Today at 02:32:36 PM
  • Trigger: I'm willing to negotiate a peace accord with Kirby & Calhoun even invite them for dinner  tmbz1 they'll have to donate their rib cages to the BBQ though  ngc3
    Today at 02:22:44 PM
  • wiggles44: You’re still here Mike?
    Today at 01:59:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal