Author Topic: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts  (Read 133282 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2587
Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« on: May 18, 2025, 09:12:17 PM »
From what the connections are saying, it looks like Sovereignty, Journalism, Baeza, Rodriguez, and Gosger will be heading to the Belmont Stakes. In my humble opinion, I don't expect more than 8 or 9 starters.

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3588
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2025, 10:25:17 PM »
From what the connections are saying, it looks like Sovereignty, Journalism, Baeza, Rodriguez, and Gosger will be heading to the Belmont Stakes. In my humble opinion, I don't expect more than 8 or 9 starters.
8 or 9 sounds about right, but with it being at Saratoga and only a mile and a quarter, who knows. I would love to see the Sovereignty Journalism rematch.

Harness racer

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4872
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2025, 10:30:09 PM »
Ditto!   tmbz1

kantseeback

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4447
  • TDS HAS INFESTED THIS PLACE LIKE A ROACH NEST
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2025, 05:55:43 AM »
Based on the stretch run of the Preakness I would pick Journalism because he seemed to get stronger at the end.
Gosger will run out of gas again.

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2025, 09:30:21 AM »
8 or 9 sounds about right, but with it being at Saratoga and only a mile and a quarter, who knows. I would love to see the Sovereignty Journalism rematch.

McCarthy said he is going as long as the horse is ok

Grandstand Handicapper

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2777
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2025, 11:28:28 AM »
McCarthy seems to be saying they are "planning" to go, WHEN HE SEES WHERE the horse is at AND AS LONG AS the horse is OK. That makes perfect sense. The guy seems like a good horseman. I read somewhere he came up under Todd Pletcher and spent over a decade as Todd's head assistant trainer.

It's been said the fittest horse wins the Derby, the fastest horses wins the Preakness, and the toughest horse wins the Belmont. I guess with the Belmont not being run on Big Sandy, and it being a shorter race, maybe that's not the case this year, LOL. The Belmont was always this enigmatic, X factor kind of race because of the track, the distance, and the horses (which ones ran in the two previous TC races, who didn't, and so on). All everyone wants to know is, are those two races in two weeks going to take something out of Journalism? Especially after what he just did! What a stretch drive and effort this horse put forth! Before Saturday, I would have said Sovereignty is the horse to beat. Rested and ready to go! Now I saw what Journalism did and say, what kind of horse is this!?!?!? But those two races? IDK. I hope it will be another exciting race!

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2025, 11:44:20 AM »
Seeing Journalism Sat shows just how impressive it was for Sovereignty to blow by his like he did in the Derby.
It wouldn't be a popular decision but if it were my horse, I wouldn't race Journalism again this soon if they
want a horse left for the still numerous opportunities left this season.

Grandstand Handicapper

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2777
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2025, 11:57:59 AM »
Excellent point.

Liberty Bell

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2025, 12:00:01 PM »
One race really has nothing to do with the other. Journalism won from an almost impossible spot in the Preakness, but he was aided by the front runner running out of gas.

Grandstand Handicapper

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2777
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2025, 12:58:35 PM »
I absolutely admired and respected Mott for making this recommendation and decision.

Liberty Bell

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2025, 01:19:27 PM »
I think the decision was easier since it had been done several times in recent years, plus he's known as a very nice guy and conservative trainer.

Grandstand Handicapper

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2777
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2025, 01:28:17 PM »
It's been said that Mott is always about the horse first. And only.

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2025, 01:44:27 PM »
It's been said that Mott is always about the horse first. And only.

I don't think it was Mott's choice to send Cigar to DelMar for The Pacific Classic(which snapped his winning streak)-it was most likely the owners

Jerry Bailey admitted it was his fault being too close to a very hot pace

Mott is a HOF trainer and none of us are in any position to question it

I say Journalism goes to The Belmont and goes off favored vs Sovreignty--and beats him

Brooklyn Brawler

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2025, 03:54:28 PM »
I would be surprised if Journalism went to the Belmont. That said, I'll be betting Baeza.

Grandstand Handicapper

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2777
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: Early Belmont Stakes thoughts
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2025, 10:25:59 PM »
One race really has nothing to do with the other. Journalism won from an almost impossible spot in the Preakness, but he was aided by the front runner running out of gas.

I don't know. That head to head battle in the Derby, and then with what Journalism did in the Preakness, might say a little something about what kind of horse Sovereignty is.

I never criticize the connections of a horse for managing the horse the way they see fit. They put their money up, it's up to them how to manage the horse.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • wiggles44: But thanks for these screenshots:)
    Today at 10:09:54 AM
  • wiggles44: I wasn’t talking to you :)
    Today at 10:09:13 AM
  • Sweet: Having a great day, you couldn't wait for yesterday sorry to let you down, you keep screenshotting you old useless bag of bones  ngc3
    Today at 10:07:09 AM
  • wiggles44: Mike is having a tough day today :)
    Today at 10:05:14 AM
  • Sweet: When you get bored you can log out and do your favorite activity  11.wj to  16za.ck 51za.brod banging your families women  ngc3
    Today at 10:03:27 AM
  • darnoldrocks: I think it's a pretty simple thing for Admin to respond on.   Is it ok to wish the death and rape of another member's family?   What do you say Admin.
    Today at 09:59:52 AM
  • G: I can't believe this is allowed! Sweet: Ant would wish your daughters raped by a bunch of niggers then set on fire...I miss him so much!   ngc3  Sweet: Where's MikeAnt when you need him  ngc3  shout out  Sound off ! Sweet: Ant would wish your daughters raped by a bunch of niggers then set on fire...I miss him so much!  ngc3 Today at 10:01:24 AM Sweet: Where's MikeAnt when you need him  ngc3 Today at 09:59:54 AM  Mike/Sweet you criticize racism? You really should be ashamed of yourself
    Today at 09:56:56 AM
  • Sweet: Chihuahua Cock has a family, yeh right  ngc3 his AMac stable went in the fucking toilet, trump is coming to end of an era, goes someplace he's a fucking guest and bitches and moans and spams  ngc3
    Today at 09:56:33 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal