Author Topic: Question of the day - Who is the most underrated ...  (Read 4169 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Elite
Question of the day - Who is the most underrated ...
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »
...catch driver in history? Try to support your answer with facts as well as your opinions.

For me, I'd say Tony Morgan has quite the career statistics.
17,000+ wins with over $140m in earnings. Champion driver in multiple states (IL, DE, at minimum). There's always been the understanding he's 1 of the best all-around horsemen too, but his dash victories and earnings should have him enshrined in Goshen already IMO.
Your pick?

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Re: Question of the day - Who is the most underrated ...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 09:32:55 AM »
Harold Kelly. Such a gentleman who gave everything he had without any fanfare. He wasn’t much of a traveler and didn’t race on Sundays. He didn’t say too much but had excellent hands that spoke for him. Hard to argue against Tony Morgan so I won’t but let’s not forget that Harold Kelly had a very solid career.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
Wally Hennessey - 11,500 wins in 45, 500 . No one else in the 10000+ plus club even approaches that. Next to Herve and Tetrick, he is probably the most "complete" driver I have ever seen. Can drive anything vs anyone, anywhere at anytime. Lifetime UDRS and win percentage is staggering!

Jackie Mo

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 12:44:50 PM »
Wally Hennessey - 11,500 wins in 45, 500 . No one else in the 10000+ plus club even approaches that. Next to Herve and Tetrick, he is probably the most "complete" driver I have ever seen. Can drive anything vs anyone, anywhere at anytime. Lifetime UDRS and win percentage is staggering!

Herve could drive at a top level one a two turn track?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
Obviously you can add Miller, Campbell and LaChance to the "complete" list, but underrated - Hennessey!

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 04:25:13 PM »
Carmine he was a top-rated catch driver before any other driver thought about it.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 04:41:47 PM »
I love you Remington but how can Carmine be underrated if you call him "top rated" as he was. He was the prototype. the originator of catch driving. I don't think Carmine was under appreciated. he was flash and glitz personified. I would say he and haughton had their "colors" emulated more than any 2 drivers ever.....I always figured underrated meant, guys who were better than we realized, their skill set somewhat under appreciated and so forth. I don't think anyone in the modern era fits that description like Wally. His numbers are sick, but his name doesn't exact;y roll off the tongue like a Carmine or Herve.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 04:44:55 PM »
Long term , I kinda like the Tony Morgan call..needs to be in HOF... Currently, How bout Kakaley?...Can hold his own with anyone. I must admit owners and trainers don't seem to share my view. Thus the underrated tag. Needs more opportunities.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 04:51:48 PM »
Long term , I kinda like the Tony Morgan call..needs to be in HOF... Currently, How bout Kakaley?...Can hold his own with anyone. I must admit owners and trainers don't seem to share my view. Thus the underrated tag. Needs more opportunities.
One of the things I do when not on here is harass Goshen and a few writers frequently asking basically, "WHEN THE FUCK WILL BRETT PELLING,  TONY MORGAN AND STEVE ELLIOTT BE PUT IN THE HOF! Anything less is an embarrasment. So on board with Tony. I guess by a certain definition you could call him underrated. Among today's top drivers in their prime, I agree Kakaley is a very good choice. He wins without aggression and that's a good quality.

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »

How is he underrated , he’s in the HOF

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 06:19:22 PM »
I don't know about most underrated, but Walter Paisley could drive a horse. Came to Monti one year in late December to try and claim the USTA driving title for that year -- I think he fell short by a handful of wins.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 06:48:41 PM »
How is he underrated , he’s in the HOF
Ya know what!   go fucking argue with Remington  he said Carmine. I am sick of your shit and your mouth.

toothman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »
Billy Parker
George Phalen

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 07:27:54 PM »
Harold Kelly. Such a gentleman who gave everything he had without any fanfare. He wasn’t much of a traveler and didn’t race on Sundays. He didn’t say too much but had excellent hands that spoke for him. Hard to argue against Tony Morgan so I won’t but let’s not forget that Harold Kelly had a very solid career.

tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
Hughie Bell

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    Today at 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    Today at 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    Today at 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    Today at 07:15:49 PM
  • Unclejerry: Hey Thorn put your money where your mouth is,and post an actual bet
    Today at 06:38:49 PM
  • The Thorn: The guy who doesn't make mind bets thinks he's a legend here. But it's all in his mind  ngc3 ngc3
    Today at 12:19:03 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: A dolla makes Jerry Holla
    Today at 10:25:26 AM
  • Unclejerry: HP's #1 Handcapper will be back with Mohawk Trifecta's Saturday 27
    April 26, 2024, 10:44:14 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal