Author Topic: Question of the day - Who is the most underrated ...  (Read 4171 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Question of the day - Who is the most underrated ...
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »
Well - there is still a lot of anti Tony Morgan at the USTA - leftover Bergstein and Pines BS but I will still rattle their cage. Mack Lobell vs Muscle Hill was a coin toss. i know Mack went to Europe and won. Did Muscle Hill? I am not familiar with all of his career. Greyhound hailing from antiquity, I left out. I confined my choices to modern era. Like what do you do with Dan Patch? 1;55 over 100 years ago.
Great thoughts Bond ( especially Carmine ) wink, wink.

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2023, 11:41:27 AM »
Richard Wojcio  could drive the heck out of a horse. I would take him any time anywhere.

bond

• Elite
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2023, 11:47:54 AM »
Well---Muscle Hill came AFTER Mack Lobell--so-Modern Era--and if they raced together at 3 Muscle Hill would have smoked Mack. Muscle Hill-won 20 times in 21 starts--being undefeated in his last 20-and I watched him jog every start--no one came close/ In 2009 he won the Hambletonian in 1.50.1 under wraps by 6 L.. Sears was a passenger. Only reason Muscle Hill didnt go overseas is that he retired early to stud--too valuable as a Stallion--where he raked the money in--still is. Mack -great horse--but beaten in over 15 starts and broke in several--had a bad disposition---I didnt think they would get him to the post in Sweden-bad manners.
Horse for Horse--no question in my mind--Mack clearly inferior to the Muscle whos' gait was so flawless it was perfection.

bond

• Elite
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2023, 11:49:15 AM »
Richard Wojcio  could drive the heck out of a horse. I would take him any time anywhere.
Yes==very underrated  but HOF???  ngc3

bond

• Elite
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »
Well---Muscle Hill came AFTER Mack Lobell--so-Modern Era--and if they raced together at 3 Muscle Hill would have smoked Mack. Muscle Hill-won 20 times in 21 starts--being undefeated in his last 20-and I watched him jog every start--no one came close/ In 2009 he won the Hambletonian in 1.50.1 under wraps by 6 L.. Sears was a passenger. Only reason Muscle Hill didnt go overseas is that he retired early to stud--too valuable as a Stallion--where he raked the money in--still is. Mack -great horse--but beaten in over 15 starts and broke in several--had a bad disposition---I didnt think they would get him to the post in Sweden-bad manners.
Horse for Horse--no question in my mind--Mack clearly inferior to the Muscle whos' gait was so flawless it was perfection. That was the reason he was so great regardless of what his  73cv.2 trainer said. Kudos for not screwing him up but he certainly didnt "make" Muscle--God did--and Im only greatful for being alive to witness such a work of divine art.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2023, 01:04:55 PM »
Richard Wojcio - Talent, no doubt. Came to YR and got in a lot of trouble. Addicted gambler who got in debt to the crew across the street. Convicted race fixer. Drove a horse for me and choked him down ion  the hole behind a falling down rat driven by the legendary Anthony Bifolco Jr.. There are other things too, I won't mention on here out of fairness to others and out of discretion. Talent, no doubt but he threw it all away. Pretty sure he is NOT going to the HOF.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2023, 01:08:54 PM »
Horse for Horse--no question in my mind--Mack clearly inferior to the Muscle whos' gait was so flawless it was perfection.
Given you rescitation of Muscle Hill's career, there can be no arguement he was 4 legged perfection. Around the time of his campaigns I was away from the sport in more ways than one. So I was still locked into MM, PC and ML being the best 3 I ever saw. Domestically. I would have to agree Muscle Hill, could easily supplant Mack Lobell from that list. Btw, to me modern era starts in 1980, speed era ushered in by Niatross, Nihilator, Dragons lair, etc.  Godd talking with you Bond

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2023, 01:20:02 PM »
All I see is underrated catch driver. I must have missed the part that says HOF. I also know that he was a gambler but it doesn't say how much did he gamble. When the money was down he could do the job.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:23:35 PM by Sam R »

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2023, 01:28:10 PM »
Bond mentioned HOF initially, I just piggy backed it. yeah he had talent, no doubt, but he was slime. Could he have had a big career? Quite likely. He threw it away, not us. Trainers were only to happy to use him. till we saw the true colors. He came down almost simultaneously with Jay randall, and pof the 2 I always thought Wojcio was far better. too bad things didn't work out for him.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »
Being 35 and in your prime and indicted by a federal grand jury can sort of derail your career. To be fair, he was convicted of some charges and acquitted of others. But then even more trouble was in store for him. Got in deep and was "owned" like Rene Poulin. Nuff time spent on this crap.

Frank the Zipper

• Stakes Horse
  • Shoot 'em up
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
If Marc East St. Louis Jr. could only get his shit together he could be the next
Walter Case.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »
Hope not for his sake. tmbz1

No passing lane 4U

• NW-1
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »
Ranger,Rzeron.

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2023, 05:46:31 PM »
Ranger is a good one. Burke's and Lindy Farms' choice when their horses are entered at Plainridge.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2023, 06:24:09 PM »
Bruce was my idol growing up in NE. Fantastic driver who had the strength to ultimately turn his life around. Could roll with anyone. Drives like a man 20 years younger. tmbz1 tmbz1

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal