Author Topic: Happy 100th Bill Haughton  (Read 38713 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Harness Stats

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1262
Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« on: August 30, 2023, 02:49:21 PM »
In a couple months it will be the 100th birthday of Billy Haughton.  To me he was a hero like Mickey Mantle, both ruled NY at the same time too.  (Billy probably made more money considering how little baseball players were paid in those days)

I never met the man but perhaps some of you have some interesting stories or at least can name some of your favorite's of his.  Mine was Handle With Care.  Here is a summary of some of his incredible achievements

He was one of only three drivers to win the Hambletonian four times, the only one to win the Little Brown Jug five times, and the only one to win the Messenger Stakes seven times. With a career record of 4,910 wins and about $40 million in earnings, he was first in annual winnings 12 times – 1952–59, 1963, 1965, 1967, and 1968 – and in heats won from 1953 to 1958.

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1064
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:10:02 PM »
I spent five winters on the training side of Pompano.
I dodged many sets of the Green Wave.
Back when they trained 5, 6, or 7 in a set and three trips.
That said there was a Green Wave coming at you at all times.

One year Billy sunburned his face real bad. Fishing (maybe drinking) out on the ocean. His face was peeling real bad.
He fixed up a screen and white towel to cover his fase so he could train, and keep the dirt of his face.  He looked like a bandit going into a bank.
I grew up in the mid-west idealizing Haughton, Miller, Dancer ETC.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Generation XYZ

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3573
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 10:01:09 PM »
I enjoy hearing these old stories really does bring back the nostalgia of harness racing.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Harness Stats

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1262
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 09:48:29 AM »
They made a documentary about "The Green Wave"  So sad that just a few years later they both were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_3CsquBY

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1064
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
They made a documentary about "The Green Wave"  So sad that just a few years later they both were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_3CsquBY
Thank You for posting.
I had not seen that documentary.
First a smile then goosebumps then a tear.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Mailbox Money

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43:24 PM »
I liked the saddle pads on some of the 2yr olds that instead of a number on them, they said FOR SALE on them! ngc3

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: You must receive a prize after saying "dick pic" in this forum 20 times today  ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 11:18:23 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: And put your pecker away you pervert
    September 30, 2026, 11:16:36 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 11:16:12 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Repeat 10 times and say 5 hail Mary's. Kirbys Ace, Kirbys Ace Kirbys Ace,Kirbys Ace and the last one Kirby's Ace!
    September 30, 2026, 11:15:36 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Sorry but I'm way in your head if that's what you're thinking of!  I guess that Dick Pic really messed you up!
    September 30, 2026, 11:13:03 PM
  • Trigger: Kirby simply say thank you, Kirby's Ace is not your screen name here it's Kirbys Ace with out the apostrophe " ' ", embarresing that you changed your screen name if I taught you how to spell it. Too bade your family has less than a man in you and a dummy to boot  ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 10:25:40 PM
  • JT: tmbz1
    September 30, 2026, 08:51:35 PM
  • dougie: Good luck gambling tomorrow. Great card at Belmont!
    September 30, 2026, 08:51:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal