Author Topic: Happy 100th Bill Haughton  (Read 38740 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Harness Stats

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1262
Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« on: August 30, 2023, 02:49:21 PM »
In a couple months it will be the 100th birthday of Billy Haughton.  To me he was a hero like Mickey Mantle, both ruled NY at the same time too.  (Billy probably made more money considering how little baseball players were paid in those days)

I never met the man but perhaps some of you have some interesting stories or at least can name some of your favorite's of his.  Mine was Handle With Care.  Here is a summary of some of his incredible achievements

He was one of only three drivers to win the Hambletonian four times, the only one to win the Little Brown Jug five times, and the only one to win the Messenger Stakes seven times. With a career record of 4,910 wins and about $40 million in earnings, he was first in annual winnings 12 times – 1952–59, 1963, 1965, 1967, and 1968 – and in heats won from 1953 to 1958.

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1067
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:10:02 PM »
I spent five winters on the training side of Pompano.
I dodged many sets of the Green Wave.
Back when they trained 5, 6, or 7 in a set and three trips.
That said there was a Green Wave coming at you at all times.

One year Billy sunburned his face real bad. Fishing (maybe drinking) out on the ocean. His face was peeling real bad.
He fixed up a screen and white towel to cover his fase so he could train, and keep the dirt of his face.  He looked like a bandit going into a bank.
I grew up in the mid-west idealizing Haughton, Miller, Dancer ETC.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Generation XYZ

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3573
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 10:01:09 PM »
I enjoy hearing these old stories really does bring back the nostalgia of harness racing.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Harness Stats

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1262
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 09:48:29 AM »
They made a documentary about "The Green Wave"  So sad that just a few years later they both were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_3CsquBY

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1067
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
They made a documentary about "The Green Wave"  So sad that just a few years later they both were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_3CsquBY
Thank You for posting.
I had not seen that documentary.
First a smile then goosebumps then a tear.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Mailbox Money

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
Re: Happy 100th Bill Haughton
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43:24 PM »
I liked the saddle pads on some of the 2yr olds that instead of a number on them, they said FOR SALE on them! ngc3

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: I hope Wiggles Vulger, Sexual past here doesn't interfere with his holier than though exercise, make him less credible  :) [link]
    Today at 10:32:40 AM
  • Ignorance Is Bliss: We read it, wiggles sent them! Now, I'll find out if it's troll or true. Win, Win.  ngc3 But still not on EAA??? Why???
    Today at 10:19:54 AM
  • Trigger: Wiggles is putting a lien on plop if he doesn't get paid plus OT for his vast efforts  ngc3  That amounted to a failed  11.wj  Wiggles run with the puppies, see Mike in a couple years maybe he shows you a trick  ;D
    Today at 10:17:23 AM
  • wiggles44: That’s none of your concern Mike.  :)
    Today at 10:16:16 AM
  • Mrpick5: Mrpick5
    Today at 10:14:58 AM
  • Ignorance Is Bliss: I'm sure you gave her your real name and contact info....right???  ngc3
    Today at 10:05:20 AM
  • wiggles44: Message sent.  Have a good shift Mike.  :)
    Today at 09:53:33 AM
  • Ignorance Is Bliss: Seriously, I'm praying "wiggles" tries contacting her as a troll. JACKPOT.
    Today at 09:38:52 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal