Author Topic: The 'wild west start'----  (Read 3560 times)

rainman2

• Elite
The 'wild west start'----
« on: July 26, 2023, 08:04:22 PM »
Watch races from each track and notice where the starter opens the starting gate in relationship to the official start of the race.  The further away this happens, chances are the faster the race goes?  When this occurs, these races are like a thoroughbred races of 1 mile and 70 yards??  Opinions welcome!!

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
Re: The 'wild west start'----
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 08:22:38 PM »
I brought this up a few months ago. The gate should not open until it reaches the start. Forget the run up or whatever you want to call it.
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 08:24:24 PM »
Interesting observation. I think your both onto something for sure!
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 08:27:34 PM »
Is he the announcer??
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 10:56:23 PM »
Watch races from each track and notice where the starter opens the starting gate in relationship to the official start of the race.  The further away this happens, chances are the faster the race goes?  When this occurs, these races are like a thoroughbred races of 1 mile and 70 yards??  Opinions welcome!!

I know that "back in the day" the starter was told to bring the car up to 30 MPH (44ft/sec) as it released the wings at the "starting line"...That was premised on the fact that the "average" good mile was a 2:00 mile (120 seconds), and a 2:00 mile (44 ft/sec) was the "par" speed they wanted to have to start the race.  Of course, today, races can often go in 1:50 (using round numbers to make this clearer)... and that means that horses are averaging 110 seconds to cover 5280 feet (assuming correct track measurements)..and thus the average speed for that mile is 32.73 mph...so by starting them (even at the actual start) at 30 MPH they are really slowing the horses down compared to what they could get away at if they were released a bit earlier (perhaps 70 as was noted) and allowed to get up to their new "normal" speed.  Either that, or the starter car SHOULD be now instructed get to 33 mph as it releases them at the start.

Now, I need a margarita as my head is spinning; however I remember Lou Miller using his stopwatch as I jogged my horse around the track and then having me come into the shed and convert it (or perhaps it was JoAnn) into MPH.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 11:00:09 PM »
hmmm I always thought it was 35 mph and 40 as it speeds out of the way   ty for your math research

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »
The USTA had specific speeds for starting gate a specific points before the start. I think they did away with those ?   Interesting how there is a rule about laying off the gate and then charging it.  Never saw it enforced. Now we hear the announcer say so and so “timed the gate perfectly”. Rule book calls it “charging the gatel. 

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 08:23:10 AM »
A good starter takes into account the track condition, the class of the race, and weather conditions.

There is a big difference between starting maiden trotters in a snow storm and The Little Brown Jug.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 09:35:25 AM »
hhhmmmmm

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 10:02:15 AM »
A good starter takes into account the track condition, the class of the race, and weather conditions.

There is a big difference between starting maiden trotters in a snow storm and The Little Brown Jug.
There is a real trick to being a good starter.
I have found every starter to be different.
Last Saturday Tetrick started behind three different starters, and I bet he can tell you what to expect from each one.
Once the  horses are called to the gate the gate driver only has control of the steering.
The starter looking backwards has control of the speed.
 Imagine steadily accelerating a car that you can only see where you have been not where you are going.
Imagine closing the  gate at the exact right place again only seeing where you have been..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:18:27 AM by Meadow Ford »
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 11:18:21 AM »
"Imagine all the people......."

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 01:45:40 PM »
I know that "back in the day" the starter was told to bring the car up to 30 MPH (44ft/sec) as it released the wings at the "starting line"...That was premised on the fact that the "average" good mile was a 2:00 mile (120 seconds), and a 2:00 mile (44 ft/sec) was the "par" speed they wanted to have to start the race.  Of course, today, races can often go in 1:50 (using round numbers to make this clearer)... and that means that horses are averaging 110 seconds to cover 5280 feet (assuming correct track measurements)..and thus the average speed for that mile is 32.73 mph...so by starting them (even at the actual start) at 30 MPH they are really slowing the horses down compared to what they could get away at if they were released a bit earlier (perhaps 70 as was noted) and allowed to get up to their new "normal" speed.  Either that, or the starter car SHOULD be now instructed get to 33 mph as it releases them at the start.

Now, I need a margarita as my head is spinning; however I remember Lou Miller using his stopwatch as I jogged my horse around the track and then having me come into the shed and convert it (or perhaps it was JoAnn) into MPH.
The Starter DOES NOT AND NEVER DID have a mandated starting speed! Starting races is a job that requires the ability to be sure most of the field is within 6 I niches of the gate as it crosses the release point. The driver of the gate works in harmony with the the starter in most situations also.It take experience to be able to deliver consistent starts.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 02:20:37 PM »
On top of having the "gas Pedal" and swinging the wings of the gate, the starter is also a judge who has to look for broken equip, horses out of position, interference, drivers in the wrong position, lame horse, etc across the whole field.

wiseowl

• Open / FFA
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
Use to be 0 minutes to post they were going behind the gate now they are coming on the track things are going the wrong way now.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 03:10:05 PM »
 ngc3 ngc3

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
  • In It Deep: Hi Liberals
    June 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    May 24, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal