Author Topic: How did you become interested in horse racing?  (Read 3123 times)

Yonkers1A

• Stakes Horse
Re: How did you become interested in horse racing?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
Yonkers1A just to clarify.. Did the horses have 10 gas positives or was it directed at Oakes’s flatulence you are referring to? Just asking…..

Oakes is a POS so maybe I was smelling him

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »
BIG TIME

bello

• Elite
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2023, 01:26:51 PM »

Well youll be happy to know that Hunter Oakes was off the board at 2-5 in races 1 and 2 today at Harrahs PH
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 01:43:03 PM by bello »

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2023, 01:34:27 PM »
Grew up around horses. I really got interested when the show started on Saturday nights racing from Yonkers and Roosevelt with Stan Berkstein and Spencer Ross.

Of course after the show is over we would watch championship wrestling!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »
Was that you sitting next to me on Sat. nights?

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2023, 01:45:58 PM »
Never did I say Harold Story was as good as Herve. I said, Story was second to Herve in measuring a drive. Be for the win or where ever he wanted to place.
 If you are not familiar  with Story, you owe it to yourself to get his book. I can't remember the name of it. When I do, I will post it. Those who were around can attest to the skills and creativity of this man.

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2023, 01:49:28 PM »
THE NEVER ENDING STORY: WHAT'S FIT TO PRINT the life of harness racing legend Harold Story

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2023, 02:09:34 PM »
I was about 6 years old when my father took me on Saturday mornings to the barn are at Roosevelt Raceway. He would sit me in the owners and trainers box on the training track as he went about his business. The old man was a bookmaker and had money on the street. Roosevelt was a weekly stop to collect. There were a couple trainers there who fronted for him. One owned a bar on Old Country Road the other was a bartender at the Wheatley Hills Tavern.
 I did not know at the time but, a kind man would say hello and talk with me as I sat in that dusty booth. His name was Bill Houghton. He asked if I liked the horses. He told me when I turned 16 I could get a job as a groom.
 I met many of the top trainers. As I got older, I would realize it was like being backstage at Maddison Square Garden. These guys were on TV, radio and in the newspaper everyday.
 At 18, my old man bought me a couple old racehorses that needed rehab to come back to the races. It was now in my blood. I soon developed an allergy to all animals, including horses. That ended any idea of a career horsemen. My father had great connections to just about anything. He owned a bar on Long Island and his clientele consisted of Cops, Firemen, wannabe wiseguys and wiseguys. These were my role models. Also in the bar were a few politicians. I had nothing to do with it but, at 26 years old , I found myself in Albany at a Senetor"s office picking up a letter, appointing me to a position of Inspector, (pee catcher) at Finger Lakes racetrack.
 I was then appointed to Patrol Judge for the winter meet at Buffalo Raceway. I first needed to meet with the Director of Racing Personnel at Saratoga. I did not know at the time byt, he was trying to block my appointment for whatever reason. After the meeting he sent a letter off to the Racing and Wagering board saying I turned down the offer. I didn't. He said to me, "you know for you to get this position, I need to fire the guy there now. Is that what you want me to do? " I sad no . That was all he needed.
 I left the business for 20 years and re- entered as an owner after selling my business in 1999. lasted until 2008 when everything I had was lost in the great recession.
Now I dabble in selling breeding stock to some fine people in Brazil.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
Was that you sitting next to me on Sat. nights?
Ha!

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2023, 02:11:40 PM »
Very good point. No one after us will ever know what it was like to hear 35000 people scream at a harness track, to taste roasted peanuts on charcoal after a night at Roosevelt or see Herve intending the whole time to finish 4th...finish 4th and this is sad.

Sure, it's what we have now and we call it harness racing, but it isn't harness racing.

FYI, I was at Yonkers live a few weeks ago and 250 total people was a stretch. I also walked by the entrance to the Empire Terrace. Very sad today to what once was!!
I was at Y

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2023, 02:48:04 PM »
Never did I say Harold Story was as good as Herve. I said, Story was second to Herve in measuring a drive. Be for the win or where ever he wanted to place.
 If you are not familiar  with Story, you owe it to yourself to get his book. I can't remember the name of it. When I do, I will post it. Those who were around can attest to the skills and creativity of this man.
I know you didn't. It was Remington who said to me directly early this morning that Harold Story was better than Herve. It's in the thread.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »
I was about 6 years old when my father took me on Saturday mornings to the barn are at Roosevelt Raceway. He would sit me in the owners and trainers box on the training track as he went about his business. The old man was a bookmaker and had money on the street. Roosevelt was a weekly stop to collect. There were a couple trainers there who fronted for him. One owned a bar on Old Country Road the other was a bartender at the Wheatley Hills Tavern.
 I did not know at the time but, a kind man would say hello and talk with me as I sat in that dusty booth. His name was Bill Houghton. He asked if I liked the horses. He told me when I turned 16 I could get a job as a groom.
 I met many of the top trainers. As I got older, I would realize it was like being backstage at Maddison Square Garden. These guys were on TV, radio and in the newspaper everyday.
 At 18, my old man bought me a couple old racehorses that needed rehab to come back to the races. It was now in my blood. I soon developed an allergy to all animals, including horses. That ended any idea of a career horsemen. My father had great connections to just about anything. He owned a bar on Long Island and his clientele consisted of Cops, Firemen, wannabe wiseguys and wiseguys. These were my role models. Also in the bar were a few politicians. I had nothing to do with it but, at 26 years old , I found myself in Albany at a Senetor"s office picking up a letter, appointing me to a position of Inspector, (pee catcher) at Finger Lakes racetrack.
 I was then appointed to Patrol Judge for the winter meet at Buffalo Raceway. I first needed to meet with the Director of Racing Personnel at Saratoga. I did not know at the time byt, he was trying to block my appointment for whatever reason. After the meeting he sent a letter off to the Racing and Wagering board saying I turned down the offer. I didn't. He said to me, "you know for you to get this position, I need to fire the guy there now. Is that what you want me to do? " I sad no . That was all he needed.
 I left the business for 20 years and re- entered as an owner after selling my business in 1999. lasted until 2008 when everything I had was lost in the great recession.
Now I dabble in selling breeding stock to some fine people in Brazil.

Fascinating story.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2023, 03:33:16 PM »
Talk about an all over the place career from The Exporter. I am sure many of us have had careers that went up, down and sideways. But if there is one job I would never consider was anything Buffalo in the winter. I hope by the time Exporter was a patrol judge he was doing this indoors instead of when the judges climbed some tower and froze watching the races.

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2023, 04:31:03 PM »
Seeing my aunt and uncle in a winners circle photo from Hinsdale from the 1960's that they had hanging in their den.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »
Had a blast in 1983 for the summer 6 week meet. TY Locky Raymond, in more ways than one. wink/wink

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal