Author Topic: Is it even fun owning horses anymore?  (Read 5863 times)

slivercharm

• Elite
Re: Is it even fun owning horses anymore?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:40 PM »
Was mule stain at Yonkers for the open win? Nice article in usta about him wow they wrote about his horses a lot he bribing them with bcbg frames or what
gonna start a syndicate betting balmoral, who wants to invest?

slivercharm

• Elite
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 08:30:01 PM »
Exactly. 

If you have time, please do accept SCoopies invitation to congratulate him on his win tonight.

He is asking for hugs on Facebook too.  I think.

I'm curious what this guy looks like I'll bite. No hug but I'll poke him.... on Facebook that is 
gonna start a syndicate betting balmoral, who wants to invest?

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
Do you raise Kosher chickens?

DUCKS, COWS, CHICKENS, RABITTS, DOGS AND HORSES
THEY ALL GET SUNDAYS AND.......CHRISTM AS OFF
OYE VA!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:47:09 PM by Fatboy »

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
ngc3
YES BECAUSE THE HELP DONT CELEBRATE ALL THAT OTHER STUFF SO THEY GOTTA WORK ALL THOSE OTHER DAYS. AGRICULTURAL LABOR RULES ARE IN MY FAVOR, BE THEY WHITE, BLACK, OR BROWN.  I'M A FAIR GUY.

caddy

• Stakes Horse
  • vienerschnitzel
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 12:28:44 AM »
FUN ?  FUN ? Do a little dance  <>  FUN  ?   62za.clp 62za.clp 62za.clp 62za.clp 62za.clp 62za.clp

goblue

• Top Claimer
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 12:54:12 AM »
We train down NY/PA/ON/OH breds in Illinois, qualify at Hawthorne or Hoosier, then ship out east.

Since I live in Chicagoland, I enjoy going to the track for the baby's first Q and their first race or two if it is at Hawthorne or Hoosier.  Very low nerves - not big purse $ or very much at stake.

Once they ship out, I am perfectly content watching from my computer at home when the horses are running in sire stakes or for solid purses out east.  I get too nervous when I'm at the track.  Being at home let's me relax.  If the race is for 6 figures though, I'm there.

I don't mind the computers.. TVG, twinspires, xpressbet are AWESOME

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
Luc, Although most of what you write is ball busting nonsense, the one thing i sincerely believe is that you really do love the game and win or lose you enjoy owning horses..I salute you for that and hope you win many races in  the future..The business needs guys like you.

tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 01:52:28 PM »
YES BECAUSE THE HELP DONT CELEBRATE ALL THAT OTHER STUFF SO THEY GOTTA WORK ALL THOSE OTHER DAYS. AGRICULTURAL LABOR RULES ARE IN MY FAVOR, BE THEY WHITE, BLACK, OR BROWN.  I'M A FAIR GUY.
Festivus for the rest of us.

Buckjohnson

• NW-1
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »
Long Distance owner myself. Have 10 to 15 horses most of the time and have not seen a live race in 4 years. I think that most owners involved in harness racing grew up watching the sport and love it. I for one can't imagine owning a thoroughbred. Harness Racing has a lot of issues but it does afford the non multi millionaires to at least have the opportunity to own and possible get one of the Great Ones. I have owned some nice horses through the years but still not the one that takes down the NA Cup, Jug or Pace so we keep trying. It is sure not the ROI that keeps the owners in this business but the will succeed and thrill of winning the big race.

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Is racing gone in the state where you live or where you got hooked?

Peppys Luck

• NW-1
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I have owned standardbreds since 1984 when I was a senior in high school.  Scraped together $500 to buy 1/8 of a $4,000 claimer.  Loved going to the Quad City Downs and Sportsman's Park and Hawthorne back in the day.  Have owned as many as 22 at one time and now down to only a few weanlings, yearlings and a few overnights.  It is still as fun as it used to be but don't get to the track as much.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Is racing gone in the state where you live or where you got hooked?
It's basically gone in Michigan  Had cheap claimers in the early-mid 80's.  Hazel and DRC had 5000 - 8000 there a night and high 6-figure/low 7-figure  handles.  Northville was packed solid.  Went to track 1-5 nights a week for about 3 years.  It was fun. 

zoot

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
you gotta love it to go to green mountain to win the first race then drive to Monticello to win the last in a steady snow storm.

remember it like yesterday. good thing the horses won. we bet the Vikings against the cowboys in the playoff game where drew pearson made the last minute catch to beat us in the playoff game. man where have the years gone ? loved fran tarkington

Buckjohnson

• NW-1
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
Started in MD for me. Went to Rosecroft, Freestate and sometime all the way to Brandywine. Rosecroft was a half mile and GE's Romanero had the track record at 155 which was extremely fast then. Used to pass the clubhouse on my way to the grandstands with my father and always dreamed of owning horses. Big draw at the track was a horse named Come On Fred. Stands were full in those days.

dannyboy

• Top Claimer
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
I race quite a few in the u.s. i’m from Canada. Sometimes I drive down to watch a couple go and if I’m in a decent race I’ll fly. Biggest problem with that is flying and hotels are so expensive you have to win to pay the bills. We won the Sagamore this year and I and my wife flew down for all three starts. To anyone that has stayed in New York lately the hotels, restaurants and transportation are really expensive. A lot of times I watch them go on RTN or Dayatthetrack. Still a lot of fun and I can watch them on my tv from my own living room.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    May 24, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: At least we agree it's a shithole
    May 24, 2024, 07:04:43 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: I think this shithole owns you!
    May 24, 2024, 09:30:25 AM
  • Michael Petrelli: Face it, I OWN THIS SHITHOLE of a forum.
    May 23, 2024, 09:35:08 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Itchy Kitties...
    May 22, 2024, 05:09:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Spew a little Spludge and the Pu$$y Cats are drawn to it lie a girl with baby rabies
    May 22, 2024, 01:37:15 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal