Author Topic: The 11,000 win club and the almost unparalleled greatness of Wally Hennessey  (Read 2293 times)

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Carmine, the red man, was known to be the cheapest sob that ever sat in a sulky. Believe it or not it wasn’t sour grapes.

ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
I never saw "Wally World" race outside Florida, but he is a great driver. We lived down there over 30 years before retiring to Maine, and went to Pompano a couple of times a week. Wally, Kevin Wallis, Bruce Ranger, Kelly Shepperd, etc. were fixtures there. In those mid-80's through about 2000, we had a pretty decent deriving colony. My two favorite trainers there were Jake Huff and Peter Blood. I also enjoyed when Tom Harmer trained/drove there.
I knew Peter Blood in HE  Damned good horseman!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
That sounds like sour grapes from jealous drivers.
Herve, John Chapman, George Sholty, Buddy Gilmour, Lucien Fontaine had NOTHING to be jealous about where Carmine was concerned. He was a jerk and not a horseman. On his own, Carmine couldn't train a ball to roll downhill   I had a horse with Carmine - Columbia Lee   33.000 claimer and a winner but Carmine was still a jerk

remington

• Open / FFA
I knew Carmine very well. He was smarter than most of the other drivers with his money. That is the reason they called him cheap. He was the king and most of the other drivers went to him he didn't go to them. He was a great trainer but maybe he didn't share information with everyone and his owners. Do you know why he quit training just drove horses?

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA

Could very well be like comparing apples to oranges, however, Bob Farrington was the original Red Man. He was a very good driver and horseman and smart enough to hold on to 1/2 of Rambling Willie who was a very tough FFA year in and out. It basically comes down to who has the biggest air plane.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
I knew Carmine very well. He was smarter than most of the other drivers with his money. That is the reason they called him cheap. He was the king and most of the other drivers went to him he didn't go to them. He was a great trainer but maybe he didn't share information with everyone and his owners. Do you know why he quit training just drove horses?
I am sorry Remington but if you are gonna say Carmine was a great trainer you have lost all credibility with me   I was in apartnership with 2 guys and we had two horses with carmine   Columbia Lee and Evenings Choice   His trainer at the time was Jack Tashjian listed in the program   Carmine was a TERRIBLE trainer     After Tashjian Bobby Siegelman took over and was essentially useless    Carmine's brother Anthony was a far better trainer and horseman    As far as smarter with his money   he did not have the cash Lucien , Buddy, Insko, Chapman, Rejean etc had   Definitely had more than Herve but thats because Filion was a degenerate gambler     If you truly knew Carmine well its hard to say he was smart  He spoke like an idiot

The Exporter

• Elite
I recall the stories of Carmine being super obnoxious and aloof . Hey, so what. With all the scandals and race fixing that went down in that era, Carmine was never in trouble. So, if you wanted a hard nosed no nonsense guy to drive your horse, ata avenue that had greatest in the country competing night after night, put the Red Nan down, if you could get him.
 For all his douchebag like qualities, at 80 years +, enjoying the good life with his bride of many years. Many guys from that day are dead and died broke. So being cheap paid off.

Superfecta

• Elite
I recall the stories of Carmine being super obnoxious and aloof . Hey, so what. With all the scandals and race fixing that went down in that era, Carmine was never in trouble. So, if you wanted a hard nosed no nonsense guy to drive your horse, ata avenue that had greatest in the country competing night after night, put the Red Nan down, if you could get him.
 For all his douchebag like qualities, at 80 years +, enjoying the good life with his bride of many years. Many guys from that day are dead and died broke. So being cheap paid off.

11.chrz Have a Schaefer in the winner's circle  tmbz1

Fuguzzi

• Elite
All true   But when Remington called Carmine a great trainer I almost gagged. 

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Carmine was born in 1936 - wow

dougie

• Top Claimer
What's amazing is i met Carmine about 10 years ago in a Wegmans on Route 9 in Manalapan New Jersey. I said "Hello" and we chatted for a few minutes. I told him i was a big fan and he was very gracious. I believe he said he lived in Colts Neck NJ.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Nice experience for you. You shoulda been there when he went around refusing to drive horses sent out with a "shit towel" Would he have preferred no shit towel? Made money with him, still a jerk

remington

• Open / FFA
Hey Fuguzzi I am sorry He didn't share his betting with you. As far as cash he had more cash than the other drivers that you mention put together. He didn't flaunt it or show it that's why he had it. He told it the way it was.

dougie

• Top Claimer
I think you could be right. The town he lives in, Colt's Neck NJ has some of the most expensive homes in the northeast. He obviously was smart with his cash!

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal