Author Topic: what is the on track attendance at your track  (Read 27208 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Liberty Bell

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2025, 09:24:47 AM »
The place is a dump. Even upstairs in the casino, the place is more than half empty, plus they still allow smoking which makes it unbearable. I don't ever remember the place as being packed. Isn't the snack bar still open during the live racing season, it was when I used to go?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 09:30:08 AM by Arrive7100 »

Superfecta

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4690
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2025, 09:37:16 AM »
The place is a dump. Even upstairs in the casino, the place is more than half empty, plus they still allow smoking which makes it unbearable. I don't ever remember the place as being packed. Isn't the snack bar still open during the live racing season, it was when I used to go?

Real nice neighborhood/surroundings as well.

Liberty Bell

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2025, 09:41:02 AM »
There's a smaller prison a few blocks away too.

Open bridle

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 435
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2025, 10:13:27 AM »
 Harness racing lives in it's own little bubble with very little interest from the outside world anymore. Unless you have a generational horse to appear with a lot of hype there is nothing to draw new people back. People will always come to see something unique and highly exceptional.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 10:28:42 AM by Open bridle »

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2025, 10:26:06 AM »
Scioto Downs gets a decent amount of people on Friday and Saturday night since they tore down the old grandstand and built a much smaller one.I bet year round at multiple tracks, and I know I'm in the minority but I like going on a nice summer evening and watching in person rather then at home. Now I have attended LBJ week basically my whole life so about 50 years. I have seen attendance plumit over the last 15 to 20 years. It's still crowded on Jug day, usually 30,000 which is far less then it used to be, but the 4 race days before jug day used to be packed. Now you could sit almost wherever you would want in the grandstand. Even on Juggette day. They race during the day and people have to work. I've suggested to the powers that be.. I know many of them personally.. that maybe one or 2 of those days bring in temporary lighting and start around 5pm. They are looking into it but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 10:28:50 AM by JT »

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2025, 10:38:33 AM »
Just tell them it would be a reason to tell people they are raising prices. tmbz1
That's the ONLY thing that will get their attention. ;D

Open bridle

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 435
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2025, 10:40:25 AM »
Scioto Downs gets a decent amount of people on Friday and Saturday night since they tore down the old grandstand and built a much smaller one.I bet year round at multiple tracks, and I know I'm in the minority but I like going on a nice summer evening and watching in person rather then at home. Now I have attended LBJ week basically my whole life so about 50 years. I have seen attendance plumit over the last 15 to 20 years. It's still crowded on Jug day, usually 30,000 which is far less then it used to be, but the 4 race days before jug day used to be packed. Now you could sit almost wherever you would want in the grandstand. Even on Juggette day. They race during the day and people have to work. I've suggested to the powers that be.. I know many of them personally.. that maybe one or 2 of those days bring in temporary lighting and start around 5pm. They are looking into it but I'm not holding my breath.
The Jug seems to me has become more like a party event than a sporting event like it use to be. Except for what's left of the old timers I bet very few in attendance follow the sport throughout the year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 10:45:52 AM by Open bridle »

carl baldwin

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1280
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2025, 10:45:19 AM »
Maywood Park zero
Balmoral Park zero
Sportsmans Park zero

Liberty Bell

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2025, 10:49:03 AM »
There used to be 6 turf clubs in Southeastern PA that did a good business at one time. All of them are now closed because their business dried up due to online wagering and sportsbooks opening in the area.

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2025, 11:16:41 AM »
The Jug seems to me has become more like a party event than a sporting event like it use to be. Except for what's left of the old timers I bet very few in attendance follow the sport throughout the year.
It's always been a party event but you are correct. I have an 8 person box in the grandstand that has been in my family for 3 generations. The people in my box follow the sport year round.. mostly family members, but I have many friends that go just on Jug day for the party and it's the one day a year they watch or wager on the ponies.

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2025, 11:21:46 AM »
Just tell them it would be a reason to tell people they are raising prices. tmbz1
That's the ONLY thing that will get their attention. ;D
They actually raised prices for our 8 person box for the first time in a while 5 bucks per ticket. It's now around just shy of a grand which is for 8 seats for 5 days and a parking pass. They aren't running short on cash since the bed tax in Delaware county passed a few years ago. The first time in my life I ever voted for a tax increase. I'm never sleeping in a hotel in the county I live in LOL

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2025, 11:39:31 AM »
Those greedy bastards don't have to be 'SHORT ON MONEY' to cry poverty. tmbz1

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2025, 12:11:43 PM »
Those greedy bastards don't have to be 'SHORT ON MONEY' to cry poverty. tmbz1
Agreed..but that is a common thing with alot of wealthy people or entities as well. Not saying it's right , but it's common

The Doctor

  • 4 claimer
  • **
  • Posts: 95
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2025, 04:58:32 PM »
500 of them are Amish

I think Mennonites. (or very liberal Amish)

Racetime

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
Re: what is the on track attendance at your track
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2025, 01:31:18 PM »
At Cumberland in Maine, if there's 100 fans, it's a "Monster Day". LOL! Harness racing is in pretty rough shape in the Pine Tree State.
  opening day last year I counted 30 people and half were horsemen
« Last Edit: March 30, 2025, 01:37:41 PM by Racetime »

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Sweet: Hey Chihua Cock, we're not picking up the tab for your Plop PTSD, go spend time with that family you said was dishonored here  ngc3
    Today at 04:29:26 PM
  • darnoldrocks: JUST LOOKING FOR ADMIN!!  ADMIN needs to take some responsibility for the good of the site.  No one should wish death or sexual assault on anyone's family.    No need for that. Two guys shouldn't go back and forth, saying nothing new, ruining topics. No one should have more than one ID and account.  That shouldn't be too much to expect or administer. Pretty bare basics.
    Today at 04:24:25 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Been
    Today at 04:10:47 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: So it has neen written so it shall be done!  ;D
    Today at 04:10:38 PM
  • Sweet: To the RETARD population of PLOP, you know who the fuck you are, having fun, absolutely not, but you're giving those that do a chance to rest in between your boring, foolish, wasteful, repetitive attempts  ngc3  Calhoun has been designated your leader, call him Calhoun, like he calls himself!  ;D
    Today at 03:53:17 PM
  • rainman2: Good luck on finding admin!!
    Today at 03:40:18 PM
  • darnoldrocks: JUST LOOKING FOR ADMIN!!  ADMIN needs to take some responsibility for the good of the site.  No one should wish death or sexual assault on anyone's family.    No need for that. Two guys shouldn't go back and forth, saying nothing new, ruining topics. No one should have more than one ID and account.  That shouldn't be too much to expect or administer. Pretty bare basics.
    Today at 03:30:15 PM
  • rainman2: Sh more vile and nastiness!  It seems you can’t control your emotions too!  Sad very sad indeed!  Anything else constructive to say here bobsy twin #2??
    Today at 03:24:56 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal