Author Topic: Trotters vs Pacers  (Read 11150 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bogeyman

  • 4 claimer
  • **
  • Posts: 60
Trotters vs Pacers
« on: March 23, 2024, 10:51:30 AM »
Rookie question - are different driving/handling skills required for drivers racing trotters and pacers?  It would seem to me there may be different skills required when driving the two different gaits. 

The Exporter

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5810
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 11:03:44 AM »
Rookie question - are different driving/handling skills required for drivers racing trotters and pacers?  It would seem to me there may be different skills required when driving the two different gaits.
Sometimes, yes. But, todays trotter is much safer than those of yesteryear. Back then, you had people who fancied themselves as "trottingmen".

Lance

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1123
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 03:44:41 PM »
There used to be trotting guys and pacing guys…..I find now there are a lot of guys that can go either way…..that’s my kind of trainer.

NOTHING BUT TRUTHS

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1391
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 04:33:49 PM »
lost aof drivers now a days go both ways

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1063
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 05:49:48 PM »
IMHO
It depends more on the horse then the gait.
I have driven trotters that you couldn't knock off their feet.
I have driven pacers that you couldn't breathe heavy or they might take off on a dead run.

In an inhouse interview at Sportsman's Park Eleanor Flavin asked Bea Farber that same question.
Bea "To drive a trotter you got to tighten up your bra straps a little more".
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

SeattleSlew

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 700
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 08:01:23 PM »
I agree that today there is probably much less separation between the two; however, back in the 70's and early 80's if I had a trotter racing at either Yonkers or Roosevelt I would always try and get John Patterson Jr as first choice and Benny Webster as #2.  I owned ONLY trotters for 30 years (with one exception for a pacer I leased) and it was MY OPINION (and shared by several others involved with mostly trotters, including Ron Gurfein) that there were 4 or 5 drivers whose hands seemed to work better with trotters than many of the other drivers.  Over the years the drivers whom my trotters had the most success with were Benny Webster, John Campbell, Walter Case, John Patterson Jr., Mike Gagliardi and Ron Waples.  These days Yannick seems to have a great feel for the trotters he drives.

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 08:31:09 PM »
 LaChance and Pierce have to be in the conversation.

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 08:36:14 PM »
 Bernt Linstedt,  Jan Johnson too. Any time there is talk of trotters, Carl Allen should be mentioned.
 Note the great # of trotters on hopples nowadays, which he invented. tmbz1

Parked

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2806
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 08:43:34 PM »
John Browning in 1865 invented the trotting hopples. Can learn a lot by googling

oldjohn123

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 185
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 08:44:18 PM »
In Maine it was Dougie Gray.

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 08:46:57 PM »
 I'll take your word for it Parked. Let's just say Allen brought it into play in the modern era.

old guy

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1217
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 08:55:03 PM »
I'll take your word for it Parked. Let's just say Allen brought it into play in the modern era.
Ken Shand from Australia had a hand in it.

kantseeback

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4447
  • TDS HAS INFESTED THIS PLACE LIKE A ROACH NEST
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 09:40:30 PM »
The best 2 trot drivers I saw back in the day,
John Patterson jr
William Odonnell
I think those 2 had a knack for driving trotters.

Lance

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1123
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2024, 10:09:21 PM »
I think near the end of his career Trevor Ritchie only drove trotters. 

SeattleSlew

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 700
Re: Trotters vs Pacers
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 04:56:03 AM »
LaChance and Pierce have to be in the conversation.

I agree, but they were in the "sandwich years" when my ownership was tapering down, so if one looks at the 90's, certainly Mike was a trotting "king" with 5 Hambo and Hambo Oaks wins from 1990 to 2003 and 10 Breeders Crown Trot wins from 1990-2009, while Ron Pierce was winning 6 Hambos and Hambo Oaks during that same time period.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Kirby's Ace: Leave my Penis out of this. If you're so infatuated with it, I'll send you a autograph picture of it!
    Today at 12:02:20 PM
  • Trigger: Pacer 2 is more man than you  ;D
    Today at 11:52:14 AM
  • Trigger: Kirby, how's your penis fingers?  ngc3  You slip them in Calhoun  ngc3  Without you Calhoun has a few mongrels, you're a good butt plug!  ngc3
    Today at 11:51:23 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Did he ever leave?
    Today at 11:49:00 AM
  • andrew: hush jessica
    Today at 11:48:17 AM
  • wiggles44: Great to have Mike back.   :)
    Today at 11:44:52 AM
  • dougie: The more the merrier I guess.
    Today at 11:40:29 AM
  • Lockedin with Pace: There's always room for 15 more in G's head
    Today at 11:39:17 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal