Author Topic: 700 million for this often hurt player DODGERS HAVE RUINED PROFESSIONAL SPORTS  (Read 2569 times)

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Nothing is ever assured no matter how much an owner spends on players. 2023 was a perfect example of that in BB. Scherzer, Verlander, Judge, Renton, Trout, Cole, Seager, Arenado, Strasberg and Linder were the highest paid MLB players in 2023. Only Seager saw the World Series with Texas. Good luck to the Dodgers paying Ohtani’s $700 million and they need to pray he doesn’t get hurt as a everyday player.
Actually Scherzer won the series with Texas but I understand your point.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Mike u r correct but I included Scherzer as a Met since they gave him the contract.

Calhoun

• Elite
   IF U FOLLOW BASEBALL I DO

DODGERS ALWAYS SEEM TO CHOKLE LATELY  MM
THE ANGELS HAD  THIS GUY ALONG WITH MIKE TROUT DID NOTHIN

BECAUSE HES AN INTERNATIONAL AND THE BULLSHIT THAT GOES ALONG WITH THAT
 THE IDIOT AMERICAN COMPANIES TRYIN TO KISS ASS 24!7 ..

WAY OVERATED HE AINT BETTER THAN AARON JUDGE ,,\\

FCK HIM AND FCK THE DODGERS AND FUCK THAT CHEAP ASS TOMMY LASORDA ,,

HATE THAT FCKIN ORGINIZATION
Fuck Tommy Lasorda.   ngc3 ngc3

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Geez guys the old mgr is dead!

Calhoun

• Elite
Zimmer would have KO'd Lasorda in 5 seconds

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Zimmer would have KO'd Lasorda in 5 seconds
I’m not so sure of that. Pedro Martinez knocked out Zim pretty easily.

wizardofoz

• Open / FFA
ESPN reported 300 mil three yrs
WSJ says higher.

PineHurstPacer

• Top Claimer
I can remember George Steinbrenner saying he would never pay a player 1 Million dollars for 1 season

yes that was 35-37 years ago

but 70 mill, fucking joke.

Their box seats will look like the Yankees, empty because of the costs.

Gaagoots

• Elite
I’m not so sure of that. Pedro Martinez knocked out Zim pretty easily.
I always liked the white rat.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Love him or hate him, Lasorda was funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M

Gaagoots

• Elite
Love him or hate him, Lasorda was funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M
Always liked Tommy. I had no idea he helped launch Mike Piazza’s career. I think he was friends with Mike’s dad.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Always liked Tommy. I had no idea he helped launch Mike Piazza’s career. I think he was friends with Mike’s dad.
Tommy is Mike's brother's Godfather

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
I for one certainly don't understand what the business of sports has turned into in order to pay a player $700 million. I don't care if it's over ten years or twenty. Will our grandchildren be talking about this guy like we talk about Ruth? Mantle? Mays? Rose? Even if he goes down as one of the ten greatest players of all time -- and I for one don't think he's near there yet -- this is what the world, the business of sports, has become?

He's done what he's done for what, five years? Six? Seven? OK, I get it, he hits and pitches. Sure, he's the pink unicorn, but $700 million? Is he going to impact a game, the season, a team, the game itself to justify that? I've heard him called the most talented baseball player in the history of the game. However, how much of an impact that title -- and this player -- make?

This is the largest player contract in the history of professionals team sports. It's the largest in all of professional sports. Based upon today's dollars, how much would Ali have been paid? In today's dollars, and he's not far off his prime, what about Cristiano Ronaldo? Lionel Messi? He allegedly got $674 million, but even that is a bit distorted as it was still tied to endorsements and endorsement dollars. I know crap but I said no way was Patrick Mahomes worth $450 million. 

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a sports agent, and he said this number was far bigger than even professionals expected. It was almost twice as big as the next best free agent deal. While he told me LA is the team best positioned to maximize and leverage his value, image, marketing, and so on, however, at the end of the day there is still the series of questions -- how much are they going to make on him? How much is he actually going to win you, for you, etc.? Is this guy a commodity that can generate revenue, ticket sales, merchandise, and so on like Magic, Bird, Shaq, even more an MJ, or LeBron, and others, and be the cultural icon of a Messi or Ronaldo

Two major elbow surgeries? Taking him out to age 39 (yes, the contract had to be structured that way)? I get that a lot of the money is "deferred" and that can mean a lot. My friend said the "real" value could be as low as $40mm a year, but at the end of the day, somehow $700 million becomes a real number. Even if you get a discount, that $700 million could have been on your side of the ledger.

I guess in the end, when does the number reach $1 billion? Does the player become more "valuable" or more "expensive" than the team?

Larry Bird Boy

• Elite
ESPN reported 300 mil three yrs
Why are you worried about other people’s money? Someone once said that on horseplop. Just askin for a friend  ;)
Johnny Johnson fucked up Chicago harness racing. I hope you die !!!!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
I for one certainly don't understand what the business of sports has turned into in order to pay a player $700 million. I don't care if it's over ten years or twenty. Will our grandchildren be talking about this guy like we talk about Ruth? Mantle? Mays? Rose? Even if he goes down as one of the ten greatest players of all time -- and I for one don't think he's near there yet -- this is what the world, the business of sports, has become?

He's done what he's done for what, five years? Six? Seven? OK, I get it, he hits and pitches. Sure, he's the pink unicorn, but $700 million? Is he going to impact a game, the season, a team, the game itself to justify that? I've heard him called the most talented baseball player in the history of the game. However, how much of an impact that title -- and this player -- make?

This is the largest player contract in the history of professionals team sports. It's the largest in all of professional sports. Based upon today's dollars, how much would Ali have been paid? In today's dollars, and he's not far off his prime, what about Cristiano Ronaldo? Lionel Messi? He allegedly got $674 million, but even that is a bit distorted as it was still tied to endorsements and endorsement dollars. I know crap but I said no way was Patrick Mahomes worth $450 million. 

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a sports agent, and he said this number was far bigger than even professionals expected. It was almost twice as big as the next best free agent deal. While he told me LA is the team best positioned to maximize and leverage his value, image, marketing, and so on, however, at the end of the day there is still the series of questions -- how much are they going to make on him? How much is he actually going to win you, for you, etc.? Is this guy a commodity that can generate revenue, ticket sales, merchandise, and so on like Magic, Bird, Shaq, even more an MJ, or LeBron, and others, and be the cultural icon of a Messi or Ronaldo

Two major elbow surgeries? Taking him out to age 39 (yes, the contract had to be structured that way)? I get that a lot of the money is "deferred" and that can mean a lot. My friend said the "real" value could be as low as $40mm a year, but at the end of the day, somehow $700 million becomes a real number. Even if you get a discount, that $700 million could have been on your side of the ledger.

I guess in the end, when does the number reach $1 billion? Does the player become more "valuable" or more "expensive" than the team?
I agree with everything you wrote. The explanation on why the Dodgers are paying him 7 bills comes down to one word which is hard to believe but true and that is MERCHANDISE. He is International and will be worth billions in MERCHANDISE.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal