Author Topic: WHO SHOULD BE ON THE MT. RUSHMORE OF DRIVERS?  (Read 5497 times)

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
Re: WHO SHOULD BE ON THE MT. RUSHMORE OF DRIVERS?
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2023, 07:09:43 PM »
Very true but he was comparing him to Dick Stillings. He was a decent driver and a real good trainer but Dave Palone has won 20,000 races.

Actually, John Salvi trained most of Dick's stuff.  I sent him horses that were just better. I like most everything you post.  Palone was almost always an overlay, Stilling was always an underlay.  I like that.  That is the reason I never used Palone at the Meadows for instance. It wasn't a comparison of the two.  The best are the best because they always get the best.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2023, 07:30:20 PM »
FYI John Campbell after winning leading driver for the second straight year at the Meadowlands went to Roosevelt and broke the record for the most wins for the fall meet. Fact. Look it up.

Com'on Mike, get serious.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2023, 07:50:11 PM »
Com'on Mike, get serious.
Mike is right. Campbell always came over for the fall meet. it was like 78 or 79, I think and Campbell kicked ass. Plus he would always come over for major stuff on Saturday nights. Not only him early days but Webster , Gagliardi, Lew Williams, Billy O, Remmen, webster Meadowlands 7 pm post, YR/RR 8pm as you know, they would drive 4 or 5 races, then chopper over and be there for the majors in NY by 9 pm. It used to land behind the backstretch. Spooked hell out of horses in the dungeon paddock at YR as it descended. I recall one got loose it was so scared, ran around the paddock a bit until someone grabbed a hold.

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2023, 08:12:19 PM »
8pm post meadowlands....as Jack Webb Sargeant Joe Friday would say....

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2023, 09:03:36 PM »
Mike is right. Campbell always came over for the fall meet. it was like 78 or 79, I think and Campbell kicked ass. Plus he would always come over for major stuff on Saturday nights. Not only him early days but Webster , Gagliardi, Lew Williams, Billy O, Remmen, webster Meadowlands 7 pm post, YR/RR 8pm as you know, they would drive 4 or 5 races, then chopper over and be there for the majors in NY by 9 pm. It used to land behind the backstretch. Spooked hell out of horses in the dungeon paddock at YR as it descended. I recall one got loose it was so scared, ran around the paddock a bit until someone grabbed a hold.

You know, John Campbell may very well be the best, or Herve, or Joe Blow, or Billy Haughton. I didn't go to the races to watch or bet 3/5's. I certainly don't disagree with the popular choices and some here who choices I find well founded.  To me it was a business. In the earlier days, I loved 5k claimers with anybody you can name because I always had a $7,500 in with Frankie Tags for instance at 7 or 8 to 1 and really didn't give a shit who I was in against. In the early days, I trained my horses to a jog cart within 2 seconds of where the race would go.  So Campbell or Yahotti didn't bother me. Also, if I lost, there was always tomorrow as Eddie Cobb would say. I"m not trying to be arrogant, and I truly think that some here really know their shit, no doubt about it. Hi Sam R!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2023, 10:32:22 PM »
8pm post meadowlands....as Jack Webb Sargeant Joe Friday would say....
Back in the day, didn't it start earlier. at 7? Late 70s. Maybe I am wrong

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2023, 02:57:07 AM »
Back in the day, didn't it start earlier. at 7? Late 70s. Maybe I am wrong

Frankie was a Long Island person from the get-go (went to high school in Farmingdale!)  He drove some nice horses and I remember vividly a win with Fulla Napoleon (a really "bullish", almost FFA horse that "dead-eye" Dick Thomas had!)  I remember it vividly because it led to a $300+ exacta I had on the race.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2023, 07:00:40 AM »
Was Fulla Napoleon ever considered a good sire? I had a couple of young ones that were difficult to get going. Bad attitudes, kinda lug headed. We didn't get along well. Sold both for small money up in new England eventually.

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2023, 07:34:23 AM »
Was Fulla Napoleon ever considered a good sire? I had a couple of young ones that were difficult to get going. Bad attitudes, kinda lug headed. We didn't get along well. Sold both for small money up in new England eventually.

During the 70's and early 80's my head (with respect to pedigree and breeding) was into trotters, rather than pacers, so I can tell you all about Speedy Crown, Dream of Glory, Royal Prestige, Florida Pro etc., but, quite frankly I don't remember if Fulla Napoleon ever had any top horses??

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2023, 08:27:36 AM »
ty

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2023, 08:37:01 AM »
You know, John Campbell may very well be the best, or Herve, or Joe Blow, or Billy Haughton. I didn't go to the races to watch or bet 3/5's. I certainly don't disagree with the popular choices and some here who choices I find well founded.  To me it was a business. In the earlier days, I loved 5k claimers with anybody you can name because I always had a $7,500 in with Frankie Tags for instance at 7 or 8 to 1 and really didn't give a shit who I was in against. In the early days, I trained my horses to a jog cart within 2 seconds of where the race would go.  So Campbell or Yahotti didn't bother me. Also, if I lost, there was always tomorrow as Eddie Cobb would say. I"m not trying to be arrogant, and I truly think that some here really know their shit, no doubt about it. Hi Sam R!
Sam R knows all the good and bad about NY harness racing in the 1970's and 1980's. Freehold , too.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
Sam R knows all the good and bad about NY harness racing in the 1970's and 1980's. Freehold , too.
Am I the only person who remembers the Meadowlands starting earlier than YR?RR back in the day? Like 7 or 7:30? Can you confirm or refute this. Hope my memory isn't this bad or it's time for hospice. You are very knowledgeable about a lot on here.

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »
Am I the only person who remembers the Meadowlands starting earlier than YR?RR back in the day? Like 7 or 7:30? Can you confirm or refute this. Hope my memory isn't this bad or it's time for hospice. You are very knowledgeable about a lot on here.

actually they used to start at 6:55PM
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2023, 11:16:17 AM »
Golden Fulla was about the best one that I can think of.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2023, 01:52:24 PM »
actually they used to start at 6:55PM
So it was basically 7. Glad i haven't lost it completely. Do you recall which era?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    Today at 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    Today at 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    Today at 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    Today at 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    Today at 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    Today at 07:15:49 PM
  • Unclejerry: Hey Thorn put your money where your mouth is,and post an actual bet
    Today at 06:38:49 PM
  • The Thorn: The guy who doesn't make mind bets thinks he's a legend here. But it's all in his mind  ngc3 ngc3
    Today at 12:19:03 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal