Author Topic: Travers Day  (Read 2372 times)

HornbyDuke

• Elite
Travers Day
« on: August 26, 2023, 10:51:15 AM »
First article in todays Tines Union

New federal authority probing Saratoga Race Course horse deaths https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/new-federal-authority-probing-saratoga-race-18330442.php

Im boxing mage, national treasure and scotland, pluz triples mage over forte over national treasure scotland.

Good luck and safe going to the participants.

onabrake

• Open / FFA
Re: Travers Day
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »
Another day, another world class horse breaking down for the world to see. A ten length winner turns into road kill in the blink of an eye and the nightmare for Saratoga cannot get any worse.

mottoman

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 08:01:26 AM »
Both those horses were undefeated and going to win grade one's by a country mile and their legs just snapped before the finish wire.  Just strange.

luker2453

• 4 claimer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 09:03:51 AM »
They have bred these horses only for speed, and not endurance and health.  The industry has done this to themselves, unfortunately, horse racing as we know it is on its last legs, literally and figuratively.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 01:55:42 PM »
First article in todays Tines Union

New federal authority probing Saratoga Race Course horse deaths https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/new-federal-authority-probing-saratoga-race-18330442.php

Im boxing mage, national treasure and scotland, pluz triples mage over forte over national treasure scotland.

Good luck and safe going to the participants.
Regarding the Travers race. I thought that horse that won the Belmont was a one hit wonder but he ran a really strong race to win the Travers.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 06:48:43 PM »
My opinion is racing 2yr olds is taking its toll when they get older. Should be started at 3 yr olds and the big races at 4 yr old.
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 06:59:20 PM »
I saw the horse break his leg in the $500,000 race yesterday. It was just awful. But I need to point something out that is bothering me. In the stretch the horse was winning by 5-6 lengths when Tyler Gallifione hit him hard twice with his whip. It was right after the second time the horse broke down.  I replayed this race 3 times to make sure of what I saw. Nothing changed. Did anyone else see this and can this be explained?

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 11:07:39 PM »
If you noticed on the race cards, there are many European Breds. Expecially Chad Brown Stable. The cause for this is that if you compare Euro breeding to American TB's. The Skeletal structure alone is entirely different. European horses are generally sturdier carry a bit more growth, and seem to be much hardier for racing at age 3 and on.  For the most part they dont even pound the 3 yr olds into the ground they race well into the later years.

Darley and Godolphin and a few others have been going a good job of introducing European bloodlines into American breeding. But American trainers are hell bent on making 2 year old race horses. That ultimately is defeating the purpose.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

BoKnows

• Top Claimer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
Even the European horses are not immune, Brandon Walsh had one go down after her race on Travers Day. That one looked especially bad as she kept trying to get up and kept falling. I had to turn away as it was heartbreaking. Not sure if a lot of people saw it because it was after the race

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 12:29:05 PM »
But why was Tyler G hitting this horse when the horse was in the lead with no chance of losing? If you can watch the replay. Did the unnecessary whipping do something to cause the horse into a movement that twisting him up and then the fall? Maybe the jock had something, and not the track’s surface, to cause this tragedy.

mottoman

• Top Claimer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 01:30:08 PM »
They take down the replays everywhere when this happens.

HornbyDuke

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 01:38:17 PM »
I dont watch much thoroughbred racing anymore except for breeders cup, triple crown and travers, so  value that with this opinion.Im thinking different variables involved. Used to think it was track surface primarily - but seems to be issue at many tracks- churchill, santa anita, delmar, aqueduct, saratoga etc. Even fake dirt had problems.  Im guessing surface a variable but not primary. Though this latest tragedy involved a track that had just been sealed which i think played a role here.

Breeding and peds are two most impt variables that play major role imho. Also media coverage is much more extensive. $$$$ also impt; especially in claiming ranks - lot of pressure to race for big $. Thirty yrs ago racing saw it as isolated tragedy and then turned the page next day.

Rollover from negative thoroughbred optic will impact harness more and more. Thoroughbred racing more $$$ involved in all areas breeding purses handle etc. So imo there will be a push back against peta but slowly the veil that clouds the public perception being lifted. Harness no one cares about, and the public isnt interested, that makes it more vulnerable to being impacted adverserly.

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 02:59:21 PM »
Even the European horses are not immune, Brandon Walsh had one go down after her race on Travers Day. That one looked especially bad as she kept trying to get up and kept falling. I had to turn away as it was heartbreaking. Not sure if a lot of people saw it because it was after the race

Your missing my point. They bring European horses over here and start racing at 2. They simply don't do that in Europe. As for breeding in new European bloodlines this takes time. Its not instant and the break downs are going to continue in the US as long as US trainers keep pressing young horses to do more than their capable.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

HornbyDuke

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 12:13:05 PM »
Todays front page opinion piece.

Churchill: Hiding Saratoga horse deaths conceals truth about sport https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/churchill-hiding-saratoga-horse-deaths-conceals-18333794.php

Does illustrate that not for profits are often a scam.

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 12:27:05 PM »
They should of canceled rest or the meet and moved back to belmont. Travers has been run already

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal