Author Topic: You know you are old when?  (Read 2282 times)

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
You know you are old when?
« on: August 17, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
Reading yesterday's results I saw that a certain eight year old gelding won a FFA trot.
I know that if you go back FIVE generations in this trotters pedigree you will find two of his great great great dams that I drove at Atlantic City in the early 70's.
That makes me old dam old.

Fuguzzi, I bet you can relate to this.

In the 80's I would go to the sales and in the catalog see horses in the first generation that I either owned, trained, drove, or raced against.
In the 90's it was the second generation.
In the 2000's it was the third generation.
In the 2010's it was the fourth generation.
Now I see horses in the fifth generation that I relate to.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Parked

• Elite
Re: You know you are old when?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 01:03:46 PM »
2 things for sure if you are seeing 5 th generations. One, you are old and 2. the mares are not producing much..

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 01:11:35 PM »
2 things for sure if you are seeing 5 th generations. One, you are old and 2. the mares are not producing much..
Why saying not producing much.
Not producing now, but one of them produced a Hambo winner.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
Reading yesterday's results I saw that a certain eight year old gelding won a FFA trot.
I know that if you go back FIVE generations in this trotters pedigree you will find two of his great great great dams that I drove at Atlantic City in the early 70's.
That makes me old dam old.

Fuguzzi, I bet you can relate to this.

In the 80's I would go to the sales and in the catalog see horses in the first generation that I either owned, trained, drove, or raced against.
In the 90's it was the second generation.
In the 2000's it was the third generation.
In the 2010's it was the fourth generation.
Now I see horses in the fifth generation that I relate to.
I hear you and sympathize!
Me, personally, I never had much luck at the sales. Devoted my time to claiming and private purchases.

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 01:45:37 PM »
I was at Monti june of 69, Nevele Pride and back for his retirement in Oct. Non betting race he crushed. they had security guards around him, mean mother fucker. I can go back 5 generations, different horses for sure, but they all got us here.

RANDOLPH POKER

• 4 claimer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 01:56:30 PM »
SPARKLING MISS?

SPARKLE PLENTY?

KASHAPLENTY?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 01:59:09 PM by RANDOLPH POKER »

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 02:38:11 PM »
I was at Monti june of 69, Nevele Pride and back for his retirement in Oct. Non betting race he crushed. they had security guards around him, mean mother fucker. I can go back 5 generations, different horses for sure, but they all got us here.
Nevele pride - Sports Illustrated COVER! - He's maybe just a little mean. He would trot the Red Mile today in 47 flat - no doubt!

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 05:51:33 PM »
Why saying not producing much.
Not producing now, but one of them produced a Hambo winner.
If they produced much the page would be full in a few generations. 
A quick look at Lexington catalog from the first day . 127 horses cataloged.  5 showed the 5 th generation and 17 showed just 2 generations. 
Not always good.  Moni Maker was a great, great race mare.  Had 10 foals. Produced just one racehorse.  International Moni. He made $775,000. 
So why is the catalog page filled over 1/3 with the races she won. Who cares ? Who reads allthat ?  Just breeders marketing the same as 50 years ago. 

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 07:04:57 PM »
If they produced much the page would be full in a few generations. 
A quick look at Lexington catalog from the first day . 127 horses cataloged.  5 showed the 5 th generation and 17 showed just 2 generations. 
Not always good.  Moni Maker was a great, great race mare.  Had 10 foals. Produced just one racehorse.  International Moni. He made $775,000. 
So why is the catalog page filled over 1/3 with the races she won. Who cares ? Who reads allthat ?  Just breeders marketing the same as 50 years ago.
Ok you got me. I was posting that I knew the ones in the fifth generation ,if the page went back that far.
I think most readers knew what I was saying, but yes I see your point.
As an example.
Fox Valley Redhot is maybe the best IL. broodmare ever. I am very familiar with her and her line of daughters.
If I go to an IL. sale and see a grand daughter of Fox Valley Redhot as the second dam, then I don't need to see Fox Valley Redhot on the pedigree page to know if you go back far enough it will be there.
I raced against Fox Valley Redhot long ago.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 08:19:49 PM by Meadow Ford »

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 08:22:40 PM »
You know your old when you look at pedigrees and you see the horse's you drove & trained are the 3rd and 4th Dams babies! ngc3

Mbdreamer

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2023, 09:20:22 PM »
You know you’re old when you can say that you’ve been to more harness tracks that no longer exist than to tracks that are currently operating.  Oxford, Lewiston, Foxboro, Scarborough, Green Mountain, Rockingham, Pompano, sadly more names will be added in my lifetime.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2023, 09:26:25 PM »
You know you’re old when you can say that you’ve been to more harness tracks that no longer exist than to tracks that are currently operating.  Oxford, Lewiston, Foxboro, Scarborough, Green Mountain, Rockingham, Pompano, sadly more names will be added in my lifetime.

When you live in South Florida it really hurts that Pompano is closed!  1 less option of live harness racing if you're a fan or an owner.  I haven't been there since closing night.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »
Agreed  Mine includes Roosevelt, Original Meadowlands, Scarborough, Foxboro, Rockingham, Liberty Bell, Freestate, Garden State Park, Brandywine, Rosecroft, Sprtsmans park, and on and on   too depressing

Laag

• Top Claimer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 09:58:12 PM »
Iris De Vandel...French trotter who won a bunch of Big M monday night 35K invitational  trots and had a track record of 1:55.1

Jazzman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 11:00:35 PM »
been to the jug 40 times

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal