Author Topic: Harness Racing Tragedies You Witnessed Trackside  (Read 4779 times)

Ramnap

• 4 claimer
Re: Harness Racing Tragedies You Witnessed Trackside
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 05:50:12 AM »
Glen you absolutely did not offend Anyone you just made the story too long and the 80yr olds on here are used to one or two lines of reading before they flush. 

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 08:10:00 AM »
i saw Cat Manzi get taken off the track via ambulance twice at freehold--seemingly at the same spot-at the top of the stretch

thankfully he survived both incidents

bello

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 08:37:32 AM »
I was at Hollywood Park when Godreau went down. I'll never forget he was actually getting up right after the incident before he collapsed again right on the track. Terrible tragedy. 

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 08:53:05 AM »
July 15, 1988 Roosevelt Raceway, Westbury, NY. The closed.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 09:07:16 AM »
I was at the Meadowlands for two close calls. The first was an accident where I thought Jack Parker Jr was dead. He has made the most incredible recovery in what may be the greatest in harness racing history. The second close call was on a Sunday afternoon at the Meadowlands where John Campbell went down hard. It was very scary from the old grandstand. Thank goodness he only broke his elbow and other secondary injuries.

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 09:41:41 AM »
Leigh Fitch getting launched from his bike when his horse fell at Scarborough.

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 03:49:53 PM »
I was at the Meadowlands for two close calls. The first was an accident where I thought Jack Parker Jr was dead. He has made the most incredible recovery in what may be the greatest in harness racing history. The second close call was on a Sunday afternoon at the Meadowlands where John Campbell went down hard. It was very scary from the old grandstand. Thank goodness he only broke his elbow and other secondary injuries.

might have been when a top trotter named Florida Jewel went down--cant recall vivdly but it was a sunday afternoon

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 04:09:08 PM »
Since someone said Roosevelt Raceway, let’s add Pompano Park  Sunday April 17, 2022!!

I actually dressed in black for a funeral!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 04:13:41 PM by rainman2 »

Legal Larry K

• 4 claimer
  • Ohioian
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 04:44:24 PM »
watchin maywood one day when i lived in chicago when homer and steve pletcher i think caused some kind of wreck and vince tambnorello to catapult in the air and smash his head on the inside rail drainage ditch that was made of concrete. it split his helmet in half and he died instantly. vinny was well liked by eveyone and a good fella. the mob had a seious talk with home and pletcher even tho vinny died that day at mcneil memorial hospital
Scioto blows hoosier away

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2024, 12:22:16 AM »
How many died at roosevelt..I know dunkley did...Haughton yonkers...

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2024, 05:07:25 AM »
Haughton, Goudreau and Smullen were all wearing a Caliente helmet (which, after the fact was discovered to be no more durable than a child's bicycle helmet.)  After Haughton's death in 1986, the following study was conducted to help prevent this in the future: (copied from the abstract at the NIH):

"A case of a harness racing accident in which the driver died of head injuries is presented. To evaluate the victim's head injury and corresponding helmet damage, a videotape of the race was reviewed and analyzed. Based on calculations of a simplified trajectory analysis and testing of the helmet, it was determined that the helmet design did not provide adequate protection for the victim.
The standards for harness helmet design are being re-eval-uated by the harness racing industry to ensure the safety of the drivers. A review of 178 harness racing injuries and deaths, current harness helmet research, and recommendations for safer helmets are discussed. A protocol for the forensic investigation of sports-related injuries and/or deaths is also presented to assist medical examiners in fulfilling their roles as practitioners of preventive medicine.
The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology 8(3):p 185-207, September 1987."

Wild bull

• Open / FFA
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2024, 05:23:37 AM »
watchin maywood one day when i lived in chicago when homer and steve pletcher i think caused some kind of wreck and vince tambnorello to catapult in the air and smash his head on the inside rail drainage ditch that was made of concrete. it split his helmet in half and he died instantly. vinny was well liked by eveyone and a good fella. the mob had a seious talk with home and pletcher even tho vinny died that day at mcneil memorial hospital
I was there also almost right in front of it don't believe he died right away if my memory is correct at my old age they brought him back a few times before he actually passed they announced it on the radio station that would play the races later that night

Warlock2020

• NW-1
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2024, 09:03:51 AM »
Windsor fair several years ago when the Gaye failed to close and hit spectators just after start going into turn 1

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    May 24, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: At least we agree it's a shithole
    May 24, 2024, 07:04:43 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: I think this shithole owns you!
    May 24, 2024, 09:30:25 AM
  • Michael Petrelli: Face it, I OWN THIS SHITHOLE of a forum.
    May 23, 2024, 09:35:08 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Itchy Kitties...
    May 22, 2024, 05:09:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Spew a little Spludge and the Pu$$y Cats are drawn to it lie a girl with baby rabies
    May 22, 2024, 01:37:15 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal