Author Topic: No more racing on lasix  (Read 6859 times)

Harness Horseman

• NW-1
No more racing on lasix
« on: October 19, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
Starting 2023   how are horses sposed to make a profit?

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
Re: No more racing on lasix
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 02:28:12 PM »
Starting 2023   how are horses sposed to make a profit?
The game will change without lasix. The horses I've own needed the lasix to stay competitive. We will see which horses and dirty owners can survive without it.

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »
Is this nation wide or certain states will pick and choose ?
Or another Gural rule until his horses need it ?

Harness Horseman

• NW-1
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
It will be the effect that HISA has on harness racing  completely banning race day medications watch the video on the usta site to learn more. Of course Dr petrelli thinks otherwise 75-80% of over its horses need the drug to keep bleeding under control

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 02:59:19 PM »
I'm assuming nationwide since it's a federal law. Video says harness racing not included at this point ,but expected to be opted in.

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 04:23:59 PM »
Strange how most every horse in some stables are on lasix and why so many “need” lasix” upon becoming 4 years of age.  Must be some allergy that causes them to bleed.

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 05:43:56 PM »
Strange how most every horse in some stables are on lasix and why so many “need” lasix” upon becoming 4 years of age.  Must be some allergy that causes them to bleed.
Virgil Morgan starts everyone of his 2 yr olds on Lasix if they need it or not. Most all don't.

augustaandy

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 06:33:14 PM »
I always thought lasix possibly masked the presence of other drugs in the system of horses

it's getting interesting now

MikeAnt

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »
Sadly though I sure hope that we don’t start to see horses dying in their own blood. Wish the was some kind of way that the state could have their vet only determine the horses that need it versus the ones that don’t. Just don’t want to see horses die in the own blood. Horrible way to die.

Manny

• Top Claimer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:36 PM »
Is Lasix allowed in other countries?  Im sure Canada has it.  Sweden?  New Zealand? Australia?

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 11:01:23 PM »
Sadly though I sure hope that we don’t start to see horses dying in their own blood. Wish the was some kind of way that the state could have their vet only determine the horses that need it versus the ones that don’t. Just don’t want to see horses die in the on blood. Horrible way to die.
Usually the horse has a hard time breathing and stops. My last horse loss its will to race even after lasix. The humane thing to do is stop racing the horse altogether and retire the horse which I did. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:03:34 PM by Open bridle »

MikeAnt

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 11:46:19 PM »
Usually the horse has a hard time breathing and stops. My last horse loss its will to race even after lasix. The humane thing to do is stop racing the horse altogether and retire the horse which I did.
I agree but then there wouldn’t be enough horses left I don’t think. It’s a slippery slope damned if you do and dated if you don’t. Just wish it could regulated closely so horses that need it will benefit from it.

bond

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 09:22:33 AM »
Best thing that could ever happen for racing.
I know Lasix helps horses bleed less--HOWEVER--the Sport is on life support-and North American racing is known to the rest of the world--as a place where drug use is rampant. It damages integrity-and bettors-serious bettors-dont like to bet big on a Sport where drugs influence the results.
You only have to look at racing in Hong Kong and Down Under--where they treat drug use as the prime target-to strictly enforce their use.
Its incredible the lengths they go to and the money they spend to keep racing "clean".
North America--all horses basically race on drugs. Most race on Lasix--which cannot be good for the Sports reputation--and even breeding-- as sires who were bad bleeders--continue to sire that line.
Hong Kong bets more on one race than a weeks worth of racing at Monticello,Pocono,Chester and Yonkers combined.
Ive been there, toured the facility---NOTHING-except hay and feed is given to those horses. Those that need treatment are treated by the club vets and they are scrutinized  like the Gestapo. Their testing is so unbelievable you have to see it to believe it.
I dont see any problems in every racing O/S Jurisdiction that do NOT race on Lasix. They manage just fine.

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »
No Lasix Down Under and not many horses bleed probably because they do way more miles of slow work and don't run the guts out of a horse two or three times a week. Of course it is longer distances and they focus more on stamina down there. Copy That who is one of the best bled but it was minimal, so they did not stand the horse down. Hopefully it does not happen again, or he will be banned from racing for a period.

Having said that, it is going to be really fucked if they cannot use Lasix.

I would imagine they are going to have to change the way horses are trained up here but what do I know.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    Today at 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    Today at 04:53:05 PM
  • Calhoun: Kirby crossed the Delaware before George Washington to make sure it was safe.  True story 100%
    Today at 02:39:12 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    Today at 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    Today at 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Was that a trick question?
    April 16, 2024, 08:37:43 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal