Author Topic: 14 YEAR OLDS  (Read 6523 times)

old school

• NW-1
14 YEAR OLDS
« on: October 12, 2020, 05:36:32 AM »
As a previous owner of a 14 year old who continues to race each week, I am hopeful there will be a few tracks who tried to round up these special equine athletes that have almost made it to retirement.  I know Monti has had a special year end race for them, but I would encourage the Meadowlands, Freehold, Plainridge, Yonkers, Chester and Pocono to do the same.  The should spread them out with moderate purses money.  Many of these fine horses have raced over a decade thrilling fans and doing their jobs well.  My hat is off to all the senior citizens who can make it to the finish line.  My greatest hope for each of them is toe have a good home beyond racing.  They deserve it.  All the best to all owners, trainers and drivers of these veteran standardbred racehorses.

Racing Troll

• Open / FFA
Re: 14 YEAR OLDS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 06:06:05 AM »
SPORT SHOULD FOCUS ENTIRELY ON 2, 3, 4 AND 5 YEAR OLDS.   14 YEAR OLDS HAVE NO BUSINESS ON A RACE TRACK

14 YEAR OLDS SHOULD BE BANDED FROM RACING.

PERIOD .

old school

• NW-1
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 06:11:32 AM »
I tend to disagree, but respect your opinion. I'm curious to know what your rationale is how you substantiate this claim.  I believe claiming races add to the life of the sport including ownership interest since many people can't afford 20-500K yearlings.

Racing Troll

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 06:18:09 AM »
SPORT NEEDS TO RID ITSELF OF THE MA AND PA IMAGE AND GET MORE PROFESSIONAL. 

IF YOU CANT AFFORD THE YEARLING GAME, YOU DONT BELONG IN THE BUSINESS PERIOD

THE CURRENT MODEL OF RACING THE SAME OLD SHIT.  DAY AFTER DAY, IS A RECIPE FOR FAILURE.  NO ONE WANTS TO BET REAL MONEY ON THOSE OLD RATS

old school

• NW-1
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »
Ok.  Thanks for the response.  The reality is most people who love horses, but can't afford that amount of money won't be able to participate.  Now, if you had mentioned health effects, I would likely understand that.I do disagree that calling these equine athletes who have given nothing than their best for 12 years racing should not be called "rats.' Horses are anything but rats. I can tell you from owning and driving, there are times when I was very frustrated with them, but they are an animal and deserving of care and respect. Best.........

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:39:16 AM »
Ok.  Thanks for the response.  The reality is most people who love horses, but can't afford that amount of money won't be able to participate.  Now, if you had mentioned health effects, I would likely understand that.I do disagree that calling these equine athletes who have given nothing than their best for 12 years racing should not be called "rats.' Horses are anything but rats. I can tell you from owning and driving, there are times when I was very frustrated with them, but they are an animal and deserving of care and respect. Best.........

Friend, You have been replying to a imbecile and who hates harness racing..Thus his name says it all. Don't waste your breath!

tmbz1
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 07:45:59 AM »
As a previous owner of a 14 year old who continues to race each week, I am hopeful there will be a few tracks who tried to round up these special equine athletes that have almost made it to retirement.  I know Monti has had a special year end race for them, but I would encourage the Meadowlands, Freehold, Plainridge, Yonkers, Chester and Pocono to do the same.  The should spread them out with moderate purses money.  Many of these fine horses have raced over a decade thrilling fans and doing their jobs well.  My hat is off to all the senior citizens who can make it to the finish line.  My greatest hope for each of them is toe have a good home beyond racing.  They deserve it.  All the best to all owners, trainers and drivers of these veteran standardbred racehorses.
With all possible due respect, your thoughts here are good and admirable but are likely not shared by many who do not work at the race track.  I do not believe bettors are eager at all to wager on "spread out" races with "moderate purses."  for 14 yo's.  I also don't think there are as many people who get "thrilled" by claiming horses of any age.  Back when the A tracks had $50-$75k claiming races, those were of interest, but not because they were older horses that thrilled us. 

For me, the only thing that drives my interest as a fan is fast horses on big tracks.

Other than that it is a game of hunting carryovers.

That all said, I remember a lot of old claiming horses.  I'm sure others here do as well.   

FirstUpFrom8Hole

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »
I used to drive an aged gelding that the owners tried for years to turn out. He'd sulk and go off his feed until we put him back on the track. The old boy loved to race.

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 12:30:21 PM »
  I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BIDEN THREAD
I'LL JUST SHOW MYSELF OUT.....

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
  I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BIDEN THREAD
I'LL JUST SHOW MYSELF OUT.....
Maybe shuffle over to the Iceman in New Brunswick thread? 

That one is a real barn burner.  tmbz1

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
Maybe shuffle over to the Iceman in New Brunswick thread? 

That one is a real barn burner.  tmbz1

VERY INFORMATIVE

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 03:28:15 PM »
Then again Ed you can always count on Calhoun to eat a foot sandwich. At least most of the time he puts his foot in his mouth.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT GUY?  BITTER COFFEE?  ZERO SEX LIFE LIKELY

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
Maybe worried Trump can win again then 0 food stamps for him. Then again winter is fast approaching and it must get dammed cold in that Maytag box.

Has already burnt his furniture to stay warm.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Michael Petrelli: WNBA should just copy the Haness Racing business model. State welfare.
    April 19, 2024, 07:42:20 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about Katlen Clarks salary, why dont he buy a ticket for an WNBA game?
    April 18, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
  • Calhoun: Meadowlands just sent me email .. there's a P-8 Carryover ... $1,800 ... That changes everything ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 04:53:05 PM
  • Calhoun: Kirby crossed the Delaware before George Washington to make sure it was safe.  True story 100%
    April 18, 2024, 02:39:12 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    April 18, 2024, 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    April 18, 2024, 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal