Author Topic: Meadowlands: Friday, April 20  (Read 4176 times)

harnessmaven

• NW-1
Meadowlands: Friday, April 20
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »
Race One: 

7 LET’S FALL IN LOVE.  “Birds Do It, Bees Do It, Even Educated Fleas Do It.  Let’s Do It…”  Cole Porter.  This gal appears, at least to me, to be the logical choice to win “The Big M” opener.   Yes, she’s been on the shelf, as Billy Joel would say, “For the longest time”.  Yet, make no mistake, this is a talented young lady.  Last year, this 3-year old hit the tote in 7 out of 10 tries.  She banked a tidy $125k.  Her “qualie” is deceiving; they “walked” the first half in a pedestrian 1:00.2.  Yet, when I look at most of last year’s lines and, I might add, the stakes competition she faced  …all I can say is: “impressive”.  Very impressive.  If this Ron Burke-trainee (to think Burke was once afraid of horses) is reasonably ready, she can prevail.  I wouldn’t be completely surprised if Monsieur Yannick Gingras, Le Frelon Vert [The Green Hornet], has this brown filly out and going when the wings retract.  Others: 4 ParkAvenueJuliean n; 5 Harper Choice;  2 Danikova.

Race Two:

1 DEJAROVER uncorked his best mile of the year in his last (he needed the race after missing a week).  He was a fast-closing 2nd in that one.  His time was excellent.  I believe there’s enough early speed for this guy to close into.  If this gelding is as sharp as I think he is, he may be ready to have his picture taken.  Jim Marohn, Jr. is in the sulky for “Svenska Flicka,” trainer Jenny Melander.  Others: 4 Seven Roses; 3 Lovely Lynnly; 5 Lucky Rainbow.

Race Three: GSY “Spring Fling” Final

3 GOLD MEDAL SWAN looked so great warming up before last week’s race, I was “champing at the bit” (actually chomping on my chewing gum).  This gelding’s owner/trainer/driver, Mark Silva, was “sittin’ chilly” on the backstretch.  He was just a passenger.  This 5-year old looked so smooth; it’s seemed effortless.  If this guy comes anywhere close to running back to his previous two wins, he can easily find himself in the winner’s circle for the 3rd straight time.  Others: 1 Tropical Storm Bi; 4 Wild Smile; 5 Party On The River.

Race Four:

8 PERFETTO is my “gambler’s throw” in what I see is a wide-open race.  I’m taking a shot with this “outside” horse.  The hopples do come off.  What impact will that have?  Does he stay on gait?  That is the question.  I know my comments are not very reassuring.  In fact, I would consider: “Buying insurance”.  Yet, I’ve seen horses make serious improvements when going from their 2-year old campaigns to racing as 3-year olds.   Brett Miller is in the bike for trainer Nifty Norman.  Others: 1, 3, 5.

Race Five:

6 MAJESTIC TEMPO is going to need some help up front.  Yes, quite frankly, I don’t see any speed-burners that will readily allow her to close into this field.  However, I still feel that this 5-year old mare can – if all the pieces fall into place – be a “contendah”.   This gal will need “live cover” on the backstretch if she has any chance of winning.  If the fractions are slow, her chances are low.  On the other hand… Others: 8, 5, 7.

Race Six:

4 ANDY M made an uncharacteristic break (interference) in his last at Yonkers in open handicap company.  This Andover Hall-bred horse now crosses the Hudson and tries his trotting skills at the wide-turned “Big M”.  If all goes well, he should find himself in the winner’s circle.  “Buckeye,” Dave Miller, works the lines for trainer Scott DiDomenico.  Others: 5, 1/1A, 3.

Race Seven: The Shiaway St. Pat Final

7 SUTTON was able to work out the perfect trip last week to win one of the preliminary legs of the Shiaway St. Pat.  This 5-year old Donato Hanover-bred horse draws the same #7 post as he did last week for this evening’s final.  Will history repeat itself?  “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, must again hustle this guy away early so that he can be in an optimal position to launch his closing bid.  The other half of “Team Miller,” Julie, is this Muscles Yankee-bred horse’s conditioner.  Others: 8, 4, 1.

Race Eight:

1 PEMBROKE JOEY won his last on a sloppy surface at Plainridge.  That win seems to be pointing this Roll with Joe-bred bay gelding in the right direction.  This gelding has faced better in the past.  The guy picks up the services of “The Thunder From Down Under,” Andy McCarthy.  The rail gives McCarthy lots of options.  This gelding should be in a good stalking position that allows him to mount a late-closing charge.  Mark Ford trains.  Others: 7, 4, 5.

Race Nine:

6 FIREBBY A.  A personal preference: I love these Australian “shippers”.  This gal’s record “down under” was excellent.  The qualifier was decent.  I believe this mare is most capable of improving off of that effort.  The “Aussie Connection,” Andy McCarthy and trainer Tahnee Camilleri, are capable of surprising…at a price.  I’m going to look carefully at this mare both on the track and on the tote.  Others: 4, 1, 5.

Race Ten:

1 MR LOVER gets post-position relief and a driver switch to the “Sorel Speedster,” Yannick Gingras.  YG should be able to find a nice mid-pack tuck from which to launch his closing bid.  If all goes well, this Deweycheatumnhowe-bred gelding should be right there at the wire.  Jenny Melander trains this 7-year old.  Others: 4, 5, 8.

EPM

• Elite
Re: Meadowlands: Friday, April 20
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
Lost interest quick in looking at the 9th race..gonna step away and head into town for supplies and TRY and break it down when I get back..pick 4 gonna go 57 in 1st leg 58 2nd leg and 14910 on the end..enjoy the card all tmbz1

Rabbi Of Racing

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
Is this horse coming down in the second race?

canadian

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
Is this horse coming down in the second race?

That's a really tough call. Where does he go rough as oppose to making a break. He looks like he maybe started the break right at the wire, maybe a foot before, but was very rough 5 feet before, but not off stride.

I agree with the judges call.

Rabbi Of Racing

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
really a close call

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
made no difference either way because he was not lapped on at the wire.

CORRECT,,,XX BEFORE WIRE BUT NOT LAPPED ON,,,,GOOD CALL,,,IMO

5starharnessracingpicks

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
This is some really bad racing. Just sitting in line and racing the last quarter. That is what qualifiers are for.

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 09:24:36 PM »
andy m

nice price here at 7/2

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
lmc mass gem

bomb play

Powerful Patricks Ghost

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:57:33 PM »
Nice 1 in the 9th Maven

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Time to wake up Admin. Bring back XYZ, this place needs resuscitation.
    April 25, 2024, 01:57:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: This Site has gone completly down hill.  Iceland must be the next Israel.
    April 25, 2024, 01:56:39 PM
  • Unclejerry: Bitter Truth just shit his depends
    April 20, 2024, 09:46:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: Unc Jerry Kicks ass at Mohawk
    April 20, 2024, 09:15:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: HONK HONK I shut the sound off on Mohawk, Fuc those two mouths
    April 20, 2024, 08:10:27 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Cock a Doodle Do. Uncle Jerry's says, and cock'el do!
    April 20, 2024, 07:48:44 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about the middle east sand rats, why does he and Obunghole keep sending billions to Iran?
    April 20, 2024, 01:56:02 PM
  • Michael Petrelli: WNBA should just copy the Haness Racing business model. State welfare.
    April 19, 2024, 07:42:20 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal