Author Topic: "The Big M": Friday, April 13  (Read 5853 times)

harnessmaven

• NW-1
"The Big M": Friday, April 13
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:33:36 AM »
Race One:

6 SECRET UNIVERSE has been razor-sharp.  He’s’ won three-straight up at “The Spa”.  In his last two, this Donerail-bred has powered his way to the front.  His sub-:28 secs. first-quarter miles are nothing to sneeze at, especially coming at Saratoga’s ½ mile oval.  I can easily see this gelding making the top in this amateur-drivers GSY “Spring Fling” Series.  My only concern: Will he have company?  A speed duel?  I hope not.  This guy’s driver-trainer is the former corrections officer, Tony Cuiffetelli.  If this gelding clears without too much trouble, he could, as the late Howard Cosell would oft say, “…go all the way!”  Much, as to the outcome of this race, will be determined in that first panel.  Others: 8 Gold Medal Swan; 4 Party On The River; 10 Hot Summer Knight; 2 Danish Durango.

Race Two:

7 PAINTED LADY, in my opinion, sticks out like the proverbial “sore thumb”.  Frankly, I’ve looked at this race several times.  Try as I might, I can’t come up with anybody else.  If all goes as it should, this Art Major-bred lass should prevail, easily.  This filly’s races down at PPK have been excellent.  She should have little trouble putting herself into position to mount a winning charge.  Yet, as I often do, I’ll toss out a few caveats: (1) The filly has just shipped up north over one-thousand miles.  (2) This filly is coming from warm, summery temps in South Florida to a cooler climate (although temps at The Meadowlands should be relatively balmy); (3) As for your investment, don’t expect much in return.  Unless you’re “a high roller,” or as they say in Vegas, “a whale,” a flat win-bet will not bring you much.  Personally, I’d think about using her as a “singleton” in back-wheeled doubles and in your exotic plays.  It all boils down to: Risk/Reward.  Also, “What’s in Your Bankroll?”  It’s the “Aussie Connection”: “The Thunder from Down Under,” Andy McCarthy, is in the bike for “The Crocodile Man,” trainer Ross Croghan.  Others: 4 Escape Again; 2 Parkavenuejuliann; 6 Dark Force.

Race Three:

8 SEVEN ROSES gets my nod in this trot.  Yes, despite her outside starting post (always a concern) this Chapter Seven-bred bay mare is capable of working out a trip that could lead to a picture-taking session in the Meadowlands winner’s circle. This 4-year old – if all goes well off the gate - may be sitting “sitting chilly” in the “garden spot”.  That first panel will tell us a lot.  Jim Pantaleano is in the sulky for this Carl Gillespie-trained Saratoga “shipper”.  Others: 7 Calladay Road; 4 Activist; 5 Dejarover.

Race Four:

5 PIRAEUS dropped to this level in her last; she responded with a game effort that saw this Comer Blitz-bred 4-year old bay mare coming on in the stretch only to run out of real estate; she finished only one and a-half lengths off the winner.  I’m looking for improvement here off her last.  If all goes well, she could find herself in the winner’s circle.  “Buckeye,” Dave Miller, handles the reins for trainer Eddie Sager.  Others: 7 Blush Hanover; 2 Fina Patina; 1 Tiger Boudoir;

Race Five:

6 TOBER is a longshot try. If he “pops,” he would add serious value to an exotic ticket.   Yes, I know…this 10-year has “danced” in her last two (that fact lurks over my head like “The Sword of Damocles”). Yet his lifetime earnings and back-class impress.  He may need one, but then again…  I just hate to leave this guy out.  “Eric the Red,” Eric Abbatiello, is in the bike for trainer Ed Hart.   Others: 1 Sweet Justice; 7 Possessed Fashion; 3 Global Revolution.

Race Six:

11 DOUBLE L LINDY starts from the second tier right behind the rail horse.  That fact alone could give this Ake Svanstedt-trained and driven gelding a most comfortable start (assuming the #1 does not break).  That bodes well for the remainder of this 5-year old Muscles Yankee-bred’s trip around “The Big M” oval.  I believe this trotter will be sitting in an excellent position to mount a late-closing charge.  Others: 4 Perseverance; 5 Opulent Yankee; 3 Filled Donut.

Race Seven:

7 FREAKONOMICS is shipping up from Florida (always an unsettling “snowbird” wrinkle of weather adaptation) where she spent “spring training” at Pompano Park.  In her only pari-mutuel start she finished 2nd in a swift 1:53.  She has the class. She has the speed.  However, the burning question remains:  Is She Ready?  If she is, she can tower over this field.  It’s “The Aussies,” again: driver Andy McCarthy and trainer Ross Croghan.  Others: 2 Beyonces Connection; 1 Maching Me Zilly; 6 Bullvillestephani e.

Race Eight:

2 ANDERSON SEELSTER is my longshot try.  I’m throwing caution to the wind in search of potential value.  I believe this Camluck-bred bay mare is coming up to a big race.  Yes, she was “shuffled off to Buffalo,” or was it “the weeds” (Joe Pesci, “Goodfellas”) in Secaucus, in her last.  Yet, make no mistake, there is front-speed to rally into here.  She draws the rail.  That provides positioning options for her pilot, Jim Pantaleono.  Doug Dilloian, Jr. trains.  With the right trip… Others: 1/1A Rockin Praline/Jag Out; 5 Brunhilda; 6 Ideal In Cash. 

Race Nine:

5 HICKORY TERRIFIC made a “sightseeing” trip around the Freehold oval in his last from the disadvantageous #7 hole.  That freshening off a week’s layoff might just put this guy into the game in this lower-level pace.  This Western Terror-bred looks to run “evenly”.  That means he’s most capable of mounting a late-closing charge, especially if the early speed ties up.  I believe, if ready, that this gelding has the potential to get his picture taken.  Jim Pantaleono is in the bike for trainer Allie Reynolds.  Others: 8 JDs Brent N Sheree; 2 Billy Button; 7 May I Cruise West.

Race Ten:

8 MAJESTIC SUNSET gets my tepid nod in the finale, a lower-level trot.  If you think a closer is the horse who will win, this guy may well be your choice.  This gelding has been dropping since earlier in the year.  I believe he has found his level.  The “Mainer,” Steve Smith, is in the sulky for trainer and part-owner, Bob Horowitz.  This guy should be coming off the tailgate.  If he gets the right trip, he can be “towed” into position for his late-closing charge. Others: 1 Painite; 5 Commentary; 9 Mr Lover.

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
Re: "The Big M": Friday, April 13
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »
NOT VERY TRUE THESE DAYS,,,,,,TRUE FOR YESTERYEAR

EPM

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »
R8 P3 18/17/139

Rabbi Of Racing

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
Tom Merton almost killed people in the 4th

5starharnessracingpicks

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »
Tom Merton almost killed people in the 4th

Yep, that was bad

5starharnessracingpicks

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
5th. #9 Upfront Billy to win

seriously

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
Perseverance Race 6.  Not as experienced or as "classy" (yet) as these, but he will be I'm guessing.

5starharnessracingpicks

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »
Wow was that race a shit show. Did I see that right when A. Miller pulled and then basically pulled up to let Marohn out of the pocket? Sure looked like that, totally jammed everyone up

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
Horses from Ppk are autotosses unless they've had 3-4 wks to acclimate in my book! Then you have to tack on 1 second to boot.

both winners  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:17 PM »
DEERFIELD BEACH JOGGGGAAATHOONNNN N

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
just curious, how long are they going to keep calling it the new meadowlands??

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
DEERFIELD BEACH JOGGGGAAATHOONNNN N

very smart move ,,,back to nifty

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »
very smart move ,,,back to nifty

mccarhy shoulda just went by and bottomed out

not sure why he looked for whole after the half

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
ANDREW IS ALOT BETTER THAN MOST THINK,,,IMO

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Diddy say All's Good.  I'm happy this brother set free
    March 27, 2024, 11:57:59 AM
  • Unclejerry: Dr, Poopenstein was really P.Diddy
    March 27, 2024, 10:08:00 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: P. Diddle aint coming back here EVER!
    March 27, 2024, 07:54:44 AM
  • Calhoun: Damn.. P Diddy on the run .. That young puzzy be costing him.
    March 26, 2024, 08:08:38 AM
  • Calhoun: Closing Day .. Red Mile Quarter Horse
    March 26, 2024, 08:07:25 AM
  • Mazola: ngc3
    March 25, 2024, 10:00:52 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: thet're sisters
    March 25, 2024, 09:04:44 PM
  • Mazola: I heard that he is somehow related to Blutarsky but I can't believe that.
    March 25, 2024, 07:31:04 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal