Author Topic: What the difference between a top notch trainer and an average one besides cost?  (Read 3701 times)

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
From my experience a top notch trainer can spot minor problems before they turn into major ones that can either sideline or ruin a horse. Average trainers become aware of major problems when it's too late. You get what you pay for.

hoosierboy

• Elite

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Daily Rate!
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Miguel_Sanchez

• Open / FFA
Top trainers don't have problems because they know how to hang a horse and train one before they become lame.  All in all though almost anyone can train a great horse.  Case in point - Muscle Hill Greg Peck couldn't train Lassie to piss on paper and Muscle Hill was one of the greatest of all time.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
Agree, Good horses make good trainers. It's not exactly rocket science training a standardbred.

It's Just rocket science when it comes to pre-racing!
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
Agree, Good horses make good trainers. It's not exactly rocket science training a standardbred.

It's Just rocket science when it comes to pre-racing!
I'm sure most trainers can hang a horse correctly and trained them down. But to me what sets them apart are the good trainers that can spot minor lameness issues, EPM, etc. before they turned into something chronic or career threatening.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 11:23:05 PM by Open bridle »

mwins

• Stakes Horse
Top trainers usually don't cut corners, or condone lazy staff.

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
All a,sham

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
There are good trainers at every level of the game, just as equally there are bad trainers at every level.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
IMHO
The best asset a trainer can have is People Skills!
Dealing with the horses is the easy fun part!
Dealing with the people is the hard part!
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Parked

• Elite
Pretty much it is the quality of stock they get to train.  There are some trainers that do exceptionally well with the stock they get. 

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
All of these answers have merit by in my experience it really did come down to the vet. A good one can make an average horse a star without the juice we know today.

Open bridle

• Open / FFA
All of these answers have merit by in my experience it really did come down to the vet. A good one can make an average horse a star without the juice we know today.
I'm curious, what can a vet give a horse that's not illegal the can improve their performance to make them a star ? I know they can take away the aches and pains, but to make them faster than their born to be ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 06:22:09 PM by Open bridle »

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
Name a owner or stable that has many horses and doesn't use a juice top trainer?

I'm sure there's a few, but not many that I know of on the East Coast circuit.
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
I'm curious, what can a vet give a horse that's not illegal the can improve their performance to make them a star ? I know they can take away the aches and pains, but to make them faster than their born to be ?
In the 80s there were "treatments"  frowned upon but not "illegal" given once or twice. 
We had a horse who had them and everything turned around.  He was an average well bred horse taken from a once great trainer who used old methods.  For us with an average trainer but great vet he improved enough to race in stakes and never had any chemical treatments.  If it wasn't for injury who knows how good he might have been.  We were going to supplement him  to the last Messenger at RR. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 06:47:50 PM by The Thorn »

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal