Author Topic: Big Ranger  (Read 3567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TimTimTimbo

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1350
Big Ranger
« on: August 05, 2026, 10:45:35 PM »
I love watching good horses and as discussed here when Gillespie lost the horse, I found this article and the owners cam out and took the horse without even a phone call

Fuck those assholes, I hope he gets beat

I'm rooting for Dex but I think Endurance is going to be really tough

https://pressprosmagazine.com/2026/08/05/mccoy-gillespies-dream-turns-nightmare-overnight-loses-ride-in-hambletonian/

Muggsy Mitty

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 103
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2026, 11:30:27 PM »
Good trainer, but he insisted on driving, Another Matt Bax, I never understood these Trainers who insist on driving while the real drivers watch.

TimTimTimbo

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1350
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2026, 11:49:19 PM »
Good trainer, but he insisted on driving, Another Matt Bax, I never understood these Trainers who insist on driving while the real drivers watch.

Well if that was the reason and they told him they wanted a good one to drive then I can understand.

Bernie Madoff

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4775
  • In the beginning, man created"god".
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2026, 06:57:12 AM »
Absolutely sadistic.
He who laughs last, laughs best.

greenshoe

  • NW-1
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2026, 07:29:39 AM »
I see Banana Beach has a new trainer and driver too, another Gillespie horse, correct?  Looked awful good at Lexington Tuesday.
I thought the article pulling out the race card was a bit much.

Harness racer

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4872
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2026, 08:53:52 AM »
I see Banana Beach has a new trainer and driver too, another Gillespie horse, correct?  Looked awful good at Lexington Tuesday.
I thought the article pulling out the race card was a bit much.

Seemed like the writer threw that in, as RG was never quoted as saying that.  I'm thinking the issue was the driving because that was mentioned more than once in the article.

Kenny

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1053
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2026, 08:56:21 AM »
I love watching good horses and as discussed here when Gillespie lost the horse, I found this article and the owners cam out and took the horse without even a phone call

Fuck those assholes, I hope he gets beat

I'm rooting for Dex but I think Endurance is going to be really tough

https://pressprosmagazine.com/2026/08/05/mccoy-gillespies-dream-turns-nightmare-overnight-loses-ride-in-hambletonian/

He should be the betting favorite but I would love it if he goes off-stride at the start and is no factor. They ruined what could have been a great story. Give me Endurance.

Kenny

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1053
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2026, 08:58:50 AM »
Seemed like the writer threw that in, as RG was never quoted as saying that.  I'm thinking the issue was the driving because that was mentioned more than once in the article.
.

Quote
Ronnie Gillespie is widely regarded as an elite, high-percentage driver, particularly within the regional circuits of the Midwest and South, such as Indiana and Mississippi, as well as the fair circuits.

While he may not hold the national media profile of drivers who race exclusively at major East Coast venues like the Meadowlands, his statistical record and reputation among trainers reflect top-tier driving talent.

Key Strengths & Career Profile
Exceptional Winning Percentage: One of Gillespie's defining traits is his UDRS (Universal Driver Rating System) score and win percentage. He routinely posts win rates well above average, frequently out-driving the odds on horses that aren't market favorites.

Master of the Fair and Regional Circuits: He has been a dominant force in state-bred stakes and county fair circuits—environments that require quick decision-making on shorter tracks (like half-mile tracks) where post position and early positioning are critical.

Aggressive, Front-Running Style: Gillespie is known for getting horses off the gate cleanly and placing them in commanding early positions. His ability to judge pace on the front end makes him exceptionally difficult to catch once he controls the tempo.

High Versatility: In addition to driving, Gillespie has a deep background as a trainer. Drivers who also train tend to have a better feel for a horse's physical limits, allowing them to manage a horse's energy efficiently throughout a mile.

While drivers who compete daily on the major Grand Circuit tracks accumulate higher overall purse earnings due to bigger race pots, Ronnie Gillespie is universally respected as a "horseman's driver"—a sharp, highly effective driver who maximizes the potential of almost every horse he sits behind.

Lance

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1123
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2026, 10:00:59 AM »
He should be the betting favorite but I would love it if he goes off-stride at the start and is no factor. They ruined what could have been a great story. Give me Endurance.

 I agree.  I can see if you have a horse like this and a once in a lifetime chance to win the Hambo you might want to go with a top driver, but at the very least you have the courtesy to call Gillespie and explain to him what is going on. To show up unannounced to take the horse is very classless. And throw the guy a few $$$, he made the horse what he is and deserves it.  What a terrible way to treat someone. 

MIKE CAMPBELL

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2798
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2026, 11:12:00 AM »
I agree.  I can see if you have a horse like this and a once in a lifetime chance to win the Hambo you might want to go with a top driver, but at the very least you have the courtesy to call Gillespie and explain to him what is going on. To show up unannounced to take the horse is very classless. And throw the guy a few $$$, he made the horse what he is and deserves it.  What a terrible way to treat someone.
If they can do it to Billy Haughton, they can do it to anyone.

Harness racer

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4872
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2026, 11:21:27 AM »
Would love to hear the owner's side of the story.  The truth will be somewhere in between that and RG's story.  I'm guessing they didn't like the mile he put on Big Ranger for no real reason and said that's enough before he burns him out.  Just a guess.

Hay 4 sail

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2026, 11:33:22 AM »
  I heard a different story. I heard RG suggested Ranger sent to Annette for several reasons. I also heard RG gets % of what the horse makes. So I dont believe the article  is accurate. How did i know Ranger was going with Annette the next morning before RG knew about it. The person that told me thought he was sold and that was the reason at first. RG story let him tell it like he wants it told. Bottom line RG deserves all credit for the horse.

Kenny

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1053
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2026, 12:00:24 PM »
I agree.  I can see if you have a horse like this and a once in a lifetime chance to win the Hambo you might want to go with a top driver, but at the very least you have the courtesy to call Gillespie and explain to him what is going on. To show up unannounced to take the horse is very classless. And throw the guy a few $$$, he made the horse what he is and deserves it.  What a terrible way to treat someone.

The industry lost a chance for a great story.

Checked Up

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 738
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2026, 12:03:21 PM »
Had the horse been in my barn in the way he did, he would have left minus 2 inches of toe on the left front! 73cv.2

bello

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5030
Re: Big Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2026, 12:10:38 PM »
The industry lost a chance for a great story.

 Agree, but what else is new.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: When Plop Admin kills a nigga he stays dead...in Tennessee, Krista Pike was give a lethal injection, then another, which didn't get here dead but snore loudly.  Talk about incompetant cunts...in other news there our beloved Dolly Parton remains deceased.  Guess if you wanna kill someone righy there ask an old woman  ngc3
    Today at 08:01:28 AM
  • wiggles44: Get some rest Mike.  Busy day doing nothing today.   :)
    Today at 07:42:38 AM
  • Trigger: You must receive a prize after saying "dick pic" in this forum 20 times today  ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 11:18:23 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: And put your pecker away you pervert
    September 30, 2026, 11:16:36 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 11:16:12 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Repeat 10 times and say 5 hail Mary's. Kirbys Ace, Kirbys Ace Kirbys Ace,Kirbys Ace and the last one Kirby's Ace!
    September 30, 2026, 11:15:36 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Sorry but I'm way in your head if that's what you're thinking of!  I guess that Dick Pic really messed you up!
    September 30, 2026, 11:13:03 PM
  • Trigger: Kirby simply say thank you, Kirby's Ace is not your screen name here it's Kirbys Ace with out the apostrophe " ' ", embarresing that you changed your screen name if I taught you how to spell it. Too bade your family has less than a man in you and a dummy to boot  ngc3
    September 30, 2026, 10:25:40 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal