Author Topic: No handle at YR/POC  (Read 7698 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

racing123

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: No handle at YR/POC
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2025, 04:35:42 PM »
I eyeballed Pocono's handle for that very nice Saturday card...Somewhere between $1,000,000 and $1,050,000 adding and rounding in my head.
Personally, I didn't play because of Pennsylvania's takeout rates. They're absolutely ridiculous.

Calhoun

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 16490
Re: No handle at YR/POC
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2025, 04:40:37 PM »
After Hernan left Yonkers the merry-go-round of announcers is ridiculous. I feel like my anxiety spikes not knowing what voice I'm going to hear on a given night. Some are good and some are BAD. Personally I like when Rich Mattei announces...they should just make him the regular guy.

On another note, the first race there Saturday night had $2,100 in the win pool. Easily the saddest (and most alarming) thing i have seen there in my 33 years following the place.

Their handle has to be down 40% over the last few years. It's like $25K -$30K is the new normal. I can't envision a scenario where continuing to feed the purses with the welfare money can continue. Hundreds of millions a year divided up for a tiny percentage of the population to prop up an activity that literally nobody cares about anymore. The VLT money was supposed to grow the industry and the breeding in the state and it's just gotten worse.

How can that continue to be justified?

It can't and it won't.

I don't follow the horsemen/track contracts closely but I'd wager that as soon as that deal reaches its end-date, they will wind racing down.

These casino companies are huge and have long-term horizons. They're in no hurry.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • wiggles44: Hi again Mike :)
    Today at 02:30:15 PM
  • Trigger: Taint tapped out  ;D
    Today at 02:04:07 PM
  • Trigger: If I was to go under as a Misfit how retarded and boring do you have to get, pretty muh a lot  ngc3 almost impossible to pull that off and repeat the same shit for months  ngc3
    Today at 01:52:27 PM
  • JT: Looks that way  :P
    Today at 01:31:05 PM
  • wiggles44: Too many :)
    Today at 01:28:19 PM
  • JT: Looks like a long day for ya here wiggles..going on 6 hours now..lots of screenshots to check I suppose  :P
    Today at 01:22:31 PM
  • wiggles44: Are you allowed near women Mike?   :)
    Today at 01:16:36 PM
  • dougie: Andrew? LOL!
    Today at 01:05:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal