Author Topic: Am I a schmuck or what?  (Read 5580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Am I a schmuck or what?
« on: June 24, 2024, 12:57:28 PM »
Yesterday, I decided to try a couple of  "Place" wagers on two horses I really liked. The first was at Aqueduct's (Belmont) 6th race. I am a big fan of trainer Horacio De Paz. So I always watch where/when he enters his horses. Yesterday, I bet $60 to place on the #10 (Can't Fool Me) who won and payed $5.30 to place (profit $99.00). Then I bet $60 again on the 2nd race at Pocono Downs on #7 Onlythetuffsurviv e driven by Georgie Nap. He won and paid $4.20 to place. (Profit $66.00) Both horses won and paid sweet win prices. Again, I ask you, AM I A SCHMUCK OR WHAT?????

PIGLAND

  • Living Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 165255
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2024, 01:28:31 PM »
maybe just a coward?

pocketrocketwinner

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1431
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 01:32:26 PM »
By betting place, you are saying your strong De Paz opinion has no value. You are saying that you have no idea who could win or come 2nd. Home this helps. Betting place is crazy bad

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 01:35:15 PM »
I think you are right Pocket! I made a few bucks, but felt bad I missed out on two nice prices.

LUCPARK

  • Living Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 57880
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 01:43:04 PM »
NO GUTS NO GLORY
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

MOHAWK FREAK

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 432
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 02:04:19 PM »
Bet to win and take the money you were going to bet to place and get a few exactas.  Much much much better return than your place price.  ( if you hit it that is ) but the difference between winning and just surviving. 

Hambletonian46

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 362
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2024, 04:12:31 PM »
I have never bet a horse just to place...that being said, I will generally go across the board if the odds are high enough (2-1 or more) and the field a good size (6 or more). Have to say this is generally for the runners since there are far fewer odds on runners who could kill the place and show prices.

davenchop

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 317
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 04:47:14 PM »
does it matter .. 90% of bettors lose no matter how they bet.. it was much easier back in
the day with bmp 5/8th ... now just a crapshoot
you cant lose if you dont bet

Brooklyn Brawler

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2024, 07:53:18 PM »
Yesterday, I decided to try a couple of  "Place" wagers on two horses I really liked. The first was at Aqueduct's (Belmont) 6th race. I am a big fan of trainer Horacio De Paz. So I always watch where/when he enters his horses. Yesterday, I bet $60 to place on the #10 (Can't Fool Me) who won and payed $5.30 to place (profit $99.00). Then I bet $60 again on the 2nd race at Pocono Downs on #7 Onlythetuffsurviv e driven by Georgie Nap. He won and paid $4.20 to place. (Profit $66.00) Both horses won and paid sweet win prices. Again, I ask you, AM I A SCHMUCK OR WHAT?????

So you won both bets and are complaining? That's the decision that you made.

Next time split the bet if you want to break even (or close to it) if your pick runs second.

FYI - the DePaz barn has been underachieving this year. I suggest betting his first few at Saratoga where he has had some incredible runs.


Brooklyn Brawler

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2024, 07:57:15 PM »
I have never bet a horse just to place...that being said, I will generally go across the board if the odds are high enough (2-1 or more) and the field a good size (6 or more). Ha

Never bet to show unless there is a bridge jumper situation. If you're a good handicapper, bet 80% to win and 20% to place. It's worked for me for 40 years.

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2619
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 09:28:23 PM »
Thanks Newt! I appreciate the advice!

Wild bull

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 438
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2024, 09:36:39 PM »
Id say if your looking to make $$$$$ why not do WP if your doing just for action bet show you can kill some time doing show bets specially on T-breds

Harness racer

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 4878
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 06:20:54 AM »
Maybe go $30/$30 next time and you have the place as a safety net.  Just a thought.

harnessplop

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1431
Re: Am I a schmuck or what?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 07:00:17 AM »
Nick zito

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • JT: You da man bello ;D
    October 04, 2026, 09:47:47 PM
  • dougie: Nice job BELLO!!!!!
    October 04, 2026, 09:31:49 PM
  • Trigger: You and genius are now a page 3 story, Bello SWEPT THE FIRST 8 Races at Northfield  62za.clp 62za.clp 86z.st 62za.clp 62za.clp
    October 04, 2026, 09:29:39 PM
  • andrew: and here it comes  ngc3
    October 04, 2026, 09:24:41 PM
  • Trigger: I'll take either stance, pro-Trump, anti-Trump, no matter  ;D
    October 04, 2026, 09:16:39 PM
  • Trigger: If you wanna manager Andrew, not sure if Rainman2 will let me manage him, seems unmanageable  ngc3 a little political rivalry, show you Trumpees a hair loss and aging trick  ngc3
    October 04, 2026, 09:12:59 PM
  • JT: Then yeah that WILL happen ngc3
    October 04, 2026, 09:11:57 PM
  • JT: First he will respond to all of Andrew'
    October 04, 2026, 09:11:22 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal