Author Topic: 2019 Ontario Welfare  (Read 22240 times)

slimshady

Re: 2019 Ontario Welfare
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
Belmont  ....   The idea isn't to tell someone they are wrong.   The idea is to disprove something they have said with facts or data.

Let's start slow   .....     "There is zero net positive economic revenue that would be lost beyond the amount of subsidies given to the horsemen."   That was posted as part of this debate.

I believe there is benefit to a community over and above the subsidies.  As an example, on my way to the track I stop and buy a coffee at Tims and gas at the local esso. After the races, my wife and I stopped in for dinner at a local restaurant.   That is economic revenue put into the community, over and above the subsidy going to the horsemen.   
Does your college graduated brain tell you there is zero benefit or some benefit, and use that same college brain to come up with a comment to support your answer??

slimshady

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:56 PM »
"just taken your dollars from one town to another."
Not dollar for dollar.
If I'm not going to the track, but staying home :
- I don't have to buy gas
- I don't buy timmies
- I spend $6 on a home cooked meal vs $20 at the restaurant
And for the record, this was never a debate about the province.  This was a conversation about the damage shutting down a track would have on the "local" community.
I asked the question ... "How much money Clinton racing adds to the local economy, over and above handle, is certainly worth a conversation."
And if it's not worth a conversation, then don't respond. 

Powerful Patricks Ghost

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
Belmont  ....   The idea isn't to tell someone they are wrong.   The idea is to disprove something they have said with facts or data.

Let's start slow   .....     "There is zero net positive economic revenue that would be lost beyond the amount of subsidies given to the horsemen."   That was posted as part of this debate.

I believe there is benefit to a community over and above the subsidies.  As an example, on my way to the track I stop and buy a coffee at Tims and gas at the local esso. After the races, my wife and I stopped in for dinner at a local restaurant.   That is economic revenue put into the community, over and above the subsidy going to the horsemen.   
Does your college graduated brain tell you there is zero benefit or some benefit, and use that same college brain to come up with a comment to support your answer??

Okay so look at it like this. In scientific experiments, you always have a hypothesis and a null hypothesis.

Let say I believe this is true:

There is not a significant economic benefit to provide purse subsidies to local economics.

The null hypothesis would be: There is a significant economic benefit to provide purse subsidies to local economics.

So, if the null hypothesis is true, that means money put in would be generating a significant economic benefit.

If this is true, why not increase the purse subsidies? Suppose $1000 added to purses results in $1500 in net economic stimulation? It would be stupid to not put as much money into the subsidized purses as possible.

Why isn't it done? Because there isn't much NET economic stimulus. No one is suggesting there is zero economic stimulus. It's just that it's not beyond the amount being subsidized--thus making it a losing proposition for taxpayers.

Look at any publicly funded (subsidized) stadium project. A majority, if not all, of the data shows the local economies will never generate the amount that was given to the stadium projects. Same goes for the Olympics. 

To keep it simple, a famous apocryphal economics lesson goes something like this: A man is at a dinner speaking about a great new jobs program where men will dig out a canal with shovels. The canal will create many jobs to employ many people so it has to be good. An economist at the dinner replies,
"If you want [to create] jobs, then give these workers spoons instead of shovels. 

This quote illustrates that you can argue job creation for a lot of meaningless acts.

Hope this helps!

slimshady

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
"Look at any publicly funded (subsidized) stadium project. A majority, if not all, of the data shows the local economies will never generate the amount that was given to the stadium projects."

Here is a comment about the recent deal to build a new arena in Calgary .....
There has been extensive debate about the return on investment for the city, and council heard on Tuesday that over the course of the 35-years of the deal, the city would net -0.6 per cent with direct returns, and 1.4 per cent when indirect benefits are considered.

And none of the construction workers will be using spoons.

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
No offense slim shady but give it up. NOBODY cares about 75 percent of US and Candian tracks. Why do you think WHORESMEN deserve free money?

He’s one with a good grasp on the tit

slimshady

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »
Belmont  ...   Another punk behind a keyboard.   Love to see you show your face at a racetrack near you and call someone a Whoresman!!
However, I agree  there isn't enough interest to keep the industry alive long term.   

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »
Belmont  ...   Another punk behind a keyboard.   Love to see you show your face at a racetrack near you and call someone a Whoresman!!
However, I agree  there isn't enough interest to keep the industry alive long term.   
Sit down and be quiet.

slimshady

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2019, 05:50:02 PM »
Wiggles   .....    I've had a job non stop for over 40 years.    I've never been on welfare or drawn unemployment insurance.    I've owned 6 horses and at the very best have broken even.
I think you're accusing the wrong guy of having a grasp on the tit. 

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
Saturday August 31

Hanover Raceway
Total Purse:  $39,300
Total Handle: $25,061

Hiawatha Horse Park
Total Purse:  $49,000
Total Handle: $24,725

Kawartha Downs
Total Purse:  $40,200
Total Handle: $32,132

Families had fun
Someone bought a bag of feed

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
Sunday September 1

Clinton Raceway
Total Purse:  $134,200
Total Handle: $67,417

Leamington Raceway
Total Purse:  $44,600
Total Handle: $40,167

62za.clp

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
Saturday September 7

Flamboro Downs
Total Purse:  $62,700
Total Handle: $100,594

holding their own, chained up doors and no fucking kids allowed

Hanover Raceway
Total Purse:  $40,300
Total Handle: $24,801

Hiawatha Horse Park
Total Purse:  $51,900
Total Handle: $29,594

Kawartha Downs
Total Purse:  $39,100
Total Handle: $28,401

when do they board these shitholes up for the winter?

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »
Sunday September 8

Flamboro Downs
Total Purse:  $70,700
Total Handle: $159,764

Leamington Raceway
Total Purse:  $45,300
Total Handle: $38,480

:1

slimshady

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
Think of the smaller tracks the same way you do minor league teams in hockey and baseball.
None of them make money, so they are all financially supported by the major leagues, who need a steady flow of players that are ready for the bigs.

If you let Hanover and Hiawatha and Kawartha and Flamboro all go under, where are the horses coming from to fill cards at Mohawk??

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
Think of the smaller tracks the same way you do minor league teams in hockey and baseball.
None of them make money, so they are all financially supported by the major leagues, who need a steady flow of players that are ready for the bigs.

If you let Hanover and Hiawatha and Kawartha and Flamboro all go under, where are the horses coming from to fill cards at Mohawk??

ngc3

helpplease

• Open / FFA
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
How much longer can this go on for these whoresmen. NO other business operates this way.

Of course we know you are just kidding right. The tax breaks & bailouts & subsidies to large companies on a yearly basis far exceed anything that horse racing receives.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Time to wake up Admin. Bring back XYZ, this place needs resuscitation.
    Today at 01:57:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: This Site has gone completly down hill.  Iceland must be the next Israel.
    Today at 01:56:39 PM
  • Unclejerry: Bitter Truth just shit his depends
    April 20, 2024, 09:46:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: Unc Jerry Kicks ass at Mohawk
    April 20, 2024, 09:15:06 PM
  • Unclejerry: HONK HONK I shut the sound off on Mohawk, Fuc those two mouths
    April 20, 2024, 08:10:27 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Cock a Doodle Do. Uncle Jerry's says, and cock'el do!
    April 20, 2024, 07:48:44 PM
  • Unclejerry: If Joe is so concerned about the middle east sand rats, why does he and Obunghole keep sending billions to Iran?
    April 20, 2024, 01:56:02 PM
  • Michael Petrelli: WNBA should just copy the Haness Racing business model. State welfare.
    April 19, 2024, 07:42:20 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal