Author Topic: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??  (Read 88049 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Blue Marlin

  • NW-1
  • *
  • Posts: 21
One of my favorite trivia questions among my harness racing friends is.
       Who was the first horse to break the 1:50 record for a mile in a race.
        Who was the trainer ? The driver ? The race ? 
         In the many years at cookouts or gatherings only two people came up with the correct answer off the top of there head. 

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1063
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2025, 09:15:09 PM »
Well I tried.
All my answers came up with a
 "ya, but I don't think so."
So I had to look it up.
My guesses were all wrong.
I was not even in the right decade.
Hint
The right decade is the 80's
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Blue Marlin

  • NW-1
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2025, 09:45:59 PM »
Yes Meadow Ford. It was in the 80’s. It’s one of my favorite trivia questions at horseman gatherings. I get all kind of different answers. There is the most frequent answer that most horseman go to.

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2025, 09:56:36 PM »
One of my favorite trivia questions among my harness racing friends is.
       Who was the first horse to break the 1:50 record for a mile in a race.
        Who was the trainer ? The driver ? The race ? 
         In the many years at cookouts or gatherings only two people came up with the correct answer off the top of there head.


i was there that day

...... Nihilator 149.3 on Hambletonian Day, trainer Bill Haughton, driver The Magic Man,  US Pacing Championships, Meadowlands--only won by 2 lengths over Falcon Seelster....I my memory is correct Stonebridge Skipper was a distant 3rd

here is another trivia question....

name the first horse to pace a sub 150 at night time?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2025, 10:01:05 PM by Papillon »

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2025, 10:14:28 PM »

i was there that day

...... Nihilator 149.3 on Hambletonian Day, trainer Bill Haughton, driver The Magic Man,  US Pacing Championships, Meadowlands--only won by 2 lengths over Falcon Seelster....I my memory is correct Stonebridge Skipper was a distant 3rd

here is another trivia question....

name the first horse to pace a sub 150 at night time?
I knew it was Nihalator Pap you beat me to it.. tough question on your part..let me think... it's gotta be after 1985.. so I will guess Artsplace.. my second guess would be Beach Towel.

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2025, 10:17:22 PM »
I knew it was Nihalator Pap you beat me to it.. tough question on your part..let me think... it's gotta be after 1985.. so I will guess Artsplace.. my second guess would be Beach Towel.

Artsplace is a good guess but incorrect

Beach Towel was another good guess

it was after 1985
« Last Edit: August 17, 2025, 10:19:03 PM by Papillon »

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2025, 10:45:46 PM »
Artsplace is a good guess but incorrect

Beach Towel was another good guess

it was after 1985
I'll try Precious Bunny.. if it's later then that.. maybe Riyadh

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2025, 10:58:18 PM »
I'll try Precious Bunny.. if it's later then that.. maybe Riyadh

winner

I was also there that night--made a nice score with a win bet on PB and a cold exacta using Artsplace for 2nd (who was 2/5)in the 1991 Big M Pace

PB was 3/1 and the exacta paid $18.20 for $2

I needed to win a 5 minute photo to collect the exacta--a crazy Cat Manzi put 90/1 Stormin Jesse first over and he never stopped pacing-almost getting Artsplace for 2nd after being brutally parked for a long time

I was there with my future ex wife ngc3
« Last Edit: August 17, 2025, 10:59:50 PM by Papillon »

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2025, 11:05:42 PM »
winner

I was also there that night--made a nice score with a win bet on PB and a cold exacta using Artsplace for 2nd (who was 2/5)in the 1991 Big M Pace

PB was 3/1 and the exacta paid $18.20 for $2

I needed to win a 5 minute photo to collect the exacta--a crazy Cat Manzi put 90/1 Stormin Jesse first over and he never stopped pacing-almost getting Artsplace for 2nd after being brutally parked for a long time

I was there with my future ex wife ngc3
Nice I got it !!awesome you were there.. great story on the winning tickets! Im only 50 but I know my history. I'll never forget seeing Artsplace at Scioto. Man that massive grandstand was packed and everyone stood during the whole race

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2025, 11:13:09 PM »
Nice I got it !!awesome you were there.. great story on the winning tickets! Im only 50 but I know my history. I'll never forget seeing Artsplace at Scioto. Man that massive grandstand was packed and everyone stood during the whole race

you must certainly do tmbz1--we have had long discussions about Falcon Seelster-one of my faves

I am 60....looks like we started young

explains a lot
« Last Edit: August 17, 2025, 11:14:59 PM by Papillon »

JT

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3551
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2025, 11:24:50 PM »
you must certainly do tmbz1--we have had long discussions about Falcon Seelster-one of my faves

I am 60....looks like we started young

explains a lot
I know I did.. my parents would call me in sick to school from Kindergarten through high school everyday during LBJ week so I could sit and be with my Grandparents in our families box all week and bet my $2 show tickets. Now they are all gone and our families box is in my name. It sucks getting old, but many great memories.

Checked Up

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 731
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2026, 03:15:56 PM »
Wait until you get so old that you can't remember the memories! It's definitely starting to be the problem I am having!

Meadow Ford

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1063
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2026, 06:39:12 PM »
Wait until you get so old that you can't remember the memories! It's definitely starting to be the problem I am having!
Let's  see.
Do I post "Join The Crowd",
or
"Don't feel like The Lone Ranger"?
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Mrpick5

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
Re: QUESTION. The first horse to break the 1:50 time in a race ??
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2026, 04:40:12 AM »

i was there that day

...... Nihilator 149.3 on Hambletonian Day, trainer Bill Haughton, driver The Magic Man,  US Pacing Championships, Meadowlands--only won by 2 lengths over Falcon Seelster....I my memory is correct Stonebridge Skipper was a distant 3rd

here is another trivia question....

name the first horse to pace a sub 150 at night time?
I was also there that day. I remembered Billy O almost dropping his whip when he put the lines in one hand to urge on Nihilator in the stretch run to the finish line.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • darnoldrocks: Fuck you Rainman.  It's partly because of your bullshit with Andrew that I feel the need to do this.  Dumb ass.
    Today at 02:15:40 PM
  • rainman2: The cut N paste responses by darnoldrocks proves 'he learned from the best' Andrew!  SAD VERY SAD!
    Today at 01:57:13 PM
  • darnoldrocks: ADMIN needs to take some responsibility for the good of the site.  No one should wish death or sexual assault on anyone's family.    No need for that. Two guys shouldn't go back and forth, saying nothing new, ruining topics. No one should have more than one ID and account.  That shouldn't be too much to expect or administer. Pretty bare basics.
    Today at 01:20:57 PM
  • wiggles44: Where’d you go Mike?
    Today at 12:56:08 PM
  • Ignorance Is Bliss: Come, come my little turds....I'll be back again next week to review your progress.  ngc3
    Today at 12:46:59 PM
  • darnoldrocks: ADMIN needs to take some responsibility for the good of the site.  No one should wish death or sexual assault on anyone's family.    No need for that. Two guys shouldn't go back and forth, saying nothing new, ruining topics. No one should have more than one ID and account.  That shouldn't be too much to expect or administer. Pretty bare basics.
    Today at 11:58:39 AM
  • Lockedin with Pace: He might be suffering from R2Drew syndrome
    Today at 10:57:54 AM
  • Sweet: Say calm Chihuahua Cock we're trying to figure out what disorder you have that has you stuck on repeat  ngc3
    Today at 10:47:24 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal