Author Topic: Roosevelt Raceway Stats  (Read 2692 times)

takethereigns

• NW-1
Re: Roosevelt Raceway Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2023, 12:52:48 PM »
leading driver in 86, would have said lachance , but how about Sonny Patterson, Jr?

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2023, 12:57:03 PM »
Ok fellow RR fans..according to this book and another Internet site Leo Bauer was the RR leading driver in 1986. Hard to believe but it looks to be true.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2023, 01:10:41 PM »
Leo Bauer - that's impossible. I raced there every night in those days - no way he was leading driver at either meet at RR  something wrong with that info. Top 3 dashes won in 86 had to be Lachance, carmine, herve  in some order

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »
I find that also hard to believe.  My memory is shaky at times but I attended at least 75 percent of the races at Roosevelt whether in person or at Teletrack that year and I can barely even remember that name as a driver at all much less a leading one.  What was the internet source you saw that on?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2023, 01:20:15 PM »
Leo raced in maybe half the races per night. Main claim to fame wasw winning the race that created the scandal that got l;achance thrown out, but that was at YR anyway. i knew Leo in New England  decent driver. shifty character

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »
Gary Mosher

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2023, 02:00:40 PM »
Gary Mosher won  back to back races for me with two different horses upon arriving from monticello literally within his first 2 weeks at YR in 85  anyway as we are going up the ramp with one of them shooting for 3 straight and I have the rail, Gary turns to me as if he some kind of "kingpin" and says, "Don't expect much tonight, our win percentage is getting too high" Glued to the rail, finished 4th. Put the lines on the hook and walked away. I never put him down again.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2023, 02:07:36 PM »
Ok. The book ranked the drivers by their UDRS so I should have rephrased the trivia question. However in 1986 Bauer had 415 drives. Wins 77, Place 88, Show 104. UDRS .387. Not too shabby against that driving colony. Sorry for getting fellow Ploppers so excited  11.wp

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »
lolol  great numbers  yes he did make a brief splash  he was good against the great New England colonies of the 70s/early 80s  Foxboro  Rokinhgham

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2023, 02:39:17 PM »
That is some set of balls Gary Mosher had to tell Fug that he was basically going to stiff his horse. Especially having the rail at YR a huge advantage. As an ex-owner I too would hear crazy stuff in the dungeon they call a paddock at YR. We owned a decent horse named Elected, a steady B-1 B-2 sort. He was coming back from a minor throat issue but had the rail. Our trainer for Elected was the once excellent Vinny Aurigemma. I liked Vinny and never knew of all his issues until much later. Anyway Mike LaChance was Vinny’s go to driver. In the dungeon I asked Vinny what Mike was going to do and Vinny told me Mike would take it easy and wait for a healthier day so to speak. My horse goes from 6-1 down to 6/5 in the last 2 clicks. The gate opens and the horse is shot out of a canon, parking any horse that came near him in Westchester County. At the top of the stretch my horse goes to sleep and finishes 6th. I was so po’d I sent the horse to a NJ for a rest and a new trainer Anahid Avakian. She treated Elected like her baby, entered him at Freehold where with Harold Kelly won 3 races in a row in their highest conditions. Harold told me driving Elected was like driving a Cadillac. He was a very nice man. One of many stories we all experienced as owners and trainers.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »
That is some set of balls Gary Mosher had to tell Fug that he was basically going to stiff his horse. Especially having the rail at YR a huge advantage. As an ex-owner I too would hear crazy stuff in the dungeon they call a paddock at YR. We owned a decent horse named Elected, a steady B-1 B-2 sort. He was coming back from a minor throat issue but had the rail. Our trainer for Elected was the once excellent Vinny Aurigemma. I liked Vinny and never knew of all his issues until much later. Anyway Mike LaChance was Vinny’s go to driver. In the dungeon I asked Vinny what Mike was going to do and Vinny told me Mike would take it easy and wait for a healthier day so to speak. My horse goes from 6-1 down to 6/5 in the last 2 clicks. The gate opens and the horse is shot out of a canon, parking any horse that came near him in Westchester County. At the top of the stretch my horse goes to sleep and finishes 6th. I was so po’d I sent the horse to a NJ for a rest and a new trainer Anahid Avakian. She treated Elected like her baby, entered him at Freehold where with Harold Kelly won 3 races in a row in their highest conditions. Harold told me driving Elected was like driving a Cadillac. He was a very nice man. One of many stories we all experienced as owners and trainers.
I remember elected - very nice horse. i also remember Anahid, her Dad was a doctor, she was a former flight attendant.She had a small ranch in North Salem Ny  She was involved in a relationship with Dr. Brian McNamara- the vet

Have you noticed all you have ro do is mention a name and Fuguzzi has a true anecdote

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2023, 05:25:39 PM »
So u have Anahid Avakian confused with someone else. First her dad was George Avakian. He was a NYC record producer for talented people like Johnny Mathis. Her mother was an internationally known cellist who played in all the big concert halls. Anahid had a triple major at the University of Michigan and none of these degrees had anything to do with harness racing. She met a Michigan trainer, well known, whose name escapes me right now. She fell in love with horses and training. She had some nice raceway stock from a great group of owners that included her dad. She trained I Marilyn,with absolutely no breeding, won a lot of money. In her retirement her second foal was Presidential Ball. Go figure? So between I Marilyn, Elected and another mare, Rat-A-Tat-Tat, she did very well. Then she had a bad training accident and that ended her training career. A great lady and family.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2023, 05:41:59 PM »
LOLOL  Was driving home and realized I was thinking of Hendrika Visser. I apologize to all  Hendrika had the farm in N. Salem and was involved with Dr. McNamara and was a flight attendant. I do remember Anahid and yes her dad was George. IMarylin was a nice mare.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2023, 12:58:57 PM »
Rejean liked to party after the races at a bar/club called Riddles. Paul Lukin from Sports Eye used to hang out with that crew.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2023, 01:36:53 PM »
I remember Paul Lukin and the club. I didn;t dare go in there..  LOL

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal