Author Topic: GREATEST RACING MARE OF ALL TIME  (Read 3024 times)

PIGLAND

• Living Legend
Re: GREATEST RACING MARE OF ALL TIME
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2023, 10:07:58 PM »
She sold for $260, then $500, then $650, then $20,000.
Didn't race till she was seven.
Won over 350 heats.
Who was she?
proximity

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2023, 12:41:23 AM »
Belle Acton

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2023, 12:47:37 AM »
The original queen was Lady Suffolk .. she was replaced by Flora Temple. 

freshlasix

• Top Claimer
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2023, 01:35:09 AM »

Silk Stockings w/ Preston Burris. Maybe not of all time, but a Hella year. 1975

One of my favorite horses in the beginning of my association with harness racing was Silk Stockings who was trained and driven by Preston Burris Jr.  One of the things I  remember is the owners of Silk Stockings were operators of a school for Autistic children in Delaware and every victory brought excitement to the students at the Delaware school.

ut Silk Stockings was more than a mascot to the children at Au Clair, she was part of a magical 1975 season, a season which found her to the be the fastest 3 yo of both sexes and gaits and at the time was the richest seasonal winner of all gaits with winnings in excess of $336,999.

During that magical season, Silk Stockings won 15 of 24 starts including a 12 race winning streak, winning up and down the Northeast corridor being based out of Brandywine Raceway.  The daughter of Most Happy Fella raced successfully both on the NYSS circuit and against open company but her most important wins of the season may have been the NYC OTB Classic where the filly took on and beat the boys at Monticello Raceway where she beat the ill-fated Tarport Hap and was the winner of the Jugette in straight heats.  Another big win was in the Betsy Ross at Brandywine.

Lifetime, the champion mare was a winner of 30 out of 57 starts with lifetime winnings of $694,894 and a lifetime mark of 1:55.2 at the Meadowlands at the age of 3.  Watching her race was a treat.

By the time Silk Stockings died at the age of 31, she had given birth to ten horses, her best one likely being the first foal, the very good horse Temujin (1:54.3;$633,824).

Bernie Madoff

• Elite
  • In the beginning, man created"god".
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2023, 04:33:02 AM »
 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1
He who laughs last, laughs best.

Horsepower

• 4 claimer
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2023, 06:10:11 AM »
Peace Corps

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2023, 07:20:35 AM »

One of my favorite horses in the beginning of my association with harness racing was Silk Stockings who was trained and driven by Preston Burris Jr.  One of the things I  remember is the owners of Silk Stockings were operators of a school for Autistic children in Delaware and every victory brought excitement to the students at the Delaware school.

ut Silk Stockings was more than a mascot to the children at Au Clair, she was part of a magical 1975 season, a season which found her to the be the fastest 3 yo of both sexes and gaits and at the time was the richest seasonal winner of all gaits with winnings in excess of $336,999.

During that magical season, Silk Stockings won 15 of 24 starts including a 12 race winning streak, winning up and down the Northeast corridor being based out of Brandywine Raceway.  The daughter of Most Happy Fella raced successfully both on the NYSS circuit and against open company but her most important wins of the season may have been the NYC OTB Classic where the filly took on and beat the boys at Monticello Raceway where she beat the ill-fated Tarport Hap and was the winner of the Jugette in straight heats.  Another big win was in the Betsy Ross at Brandywine.

Lifetime, the champion mare was a winner of 30 out of 57 starts with lifetime winnings of $694,894 and a lifetime mark of 1:55.2 at the Meadowlands at the age of 3.  Watching her race was a treat.

By the time Silk Stockings died at the age of 31, she had given birth to ten horses, her best one likely being the first foal, the very good horse Temujin (1:54.3;$633,824).

Temujin by Gengis Khan - great FFA horse for the talented Eddie Cobb, was bred by John and Paula Campbell

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2023, 07:22:41 AM »
I ve seen a few thoroughbred mares tossed in, so....Zenyatta and Havre de Grace

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2023, 02:23:41 PM »

Who owned her? Wasnt it Ohio Connections?
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

JL52

• Open / FFA
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2023, 02:28:09 PM »
Claire and Kenneth(?) Mazik, who I believe ran the school referred to above

seen2much

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2023, 03:45:53 PM »
Peace Corps
One of my favorites too.

Bernie Madoff

• Elite
  • In the beginning, man created"god".
He who laughs last, laughs best.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal