Author Topic: Age is just a number after all  (Read 3451 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Age is just a number after all
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 12:06:12 AM »
interesting take on Hogan's personality - I found him rather stiff and aloof - kinda like Ron Pierce

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 12:24:57 AM »
Here's one more   excellent horseman and driver from a bygone era who mentored many of those guys - Marcel Robillard
I didn’t know Marcel.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 12:28:11 AM »
interesting take on Hogan's personality - I found him rather stiff and aloof - kinda like Ron Pierce
He was more like an arrogant prick. Just my opinion.

Ron what is a nice guy but he wasn’t dealing with a full deck.  Hell of a talent though.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 12:30:50 AM »

Ron what is a nice guy but he wasn’t dealing with a full deck.  Hell of a talent though.
Pierce one of the great $$$ drivers ever. Do you know what he is doing now? It's weird

SeattleSlew

• Open / FFA
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2023, 03:38:26 AM »
i miss those days 79 to 81   Foxboro and Rockingham    The driver colony was sooo deep it was insane  Billy Parker,  Bruce Ranger  Leigh Fitch, Ken Heeney, John Marshall, Rheo Filion, Bobby Tisbert  Bert Beckwith  Jim and John Winters  Walter Case  John Hogan Steve Otoole  Bobby Cross, Jimmy Doherty, Mark Lancaster Richard Kent  WEndell Donaway Ernie Houle Garry Kamal Donald Guidette  Leo Bauer  John Becwith, William Silk, Billy Faucher  Billy O'donnell, Ted Wing   Can you beleive  I still say the greatest  driving colony ever pound for pound  The guys I listed and some I have forgotten have well over 100,000 combined wins

Saw amazing stretch duels at Foxboro   Bruce Ranger just 4 years older than me, but he was my idol

When my horses were either starting out, coming back from an injury or not good enough to race at the NY area tracks (RR, YR, ML) they would usually wind up either with Fay Webster (Ben's father, who had a farm and great training setup in Hilton, NY), Anthony Abbatiello's farm (loved to see him both at his farm and at the American Hotel in Freehold which had the best Mac & Cheese I have ever eaten) OR with Billy Silk.  Bill was a really good "horse whisperer" and stepped up a few of my "lost causes".. and then asked me to bring one of his horses down to race at RR and YR on a lease arrangement.  The horse he had me take down for him was "Silky Sullivan" reincarnate.  Herve would drive him for us and the horse might be 15-20 lengths out of it at the 3/4, but somehow, on occasion, found the finish line in front.  Unfortunately he ultimately broke down, but then Lou Miller (and JoAnn) helped him recover and become one of the "teaching" horses at RR for them.  I was an owner, but Lou and Joann worked with me (starting out mucking stalls) till I was capable of grooming my horses and jogging them.  I have a ton of respect for drivers, as I know I was scared shixless holding on to the reins behind a 1,000 pound animal and watching the ground pass under my body in the sulky!!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2023, 07:56:18 AM »
Awesome story. love these kinds of tales and you are a great poster. Wonder how many times you and I have been within ten feet of each other in real life. I'll bet many. Growing up around Foxboro, Rockingham and Hinsdale for that brief Summer meet, I used to hang a bit with Billy Silk's son, Dave. He used to wear this satin blue nylon jacket that said "smooth as Silk" on the back. Kid thought he was hot shit! Great memories!

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2023, 09:47:31 AM »
Pierce one of the great $$$ drivers ever. Do you know what he is doing now? It's weird
The last I heard he was out west panning for gold not kidding.

I remember him telling me after the Medowlands closed one year he went out to Montana on a horse and got lost in the woods for a month didn’t wanna see anybody did some camping.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2023, 09:50:33 AM »
The last I heard he was out west panning for gold not kidding.

I remember him telling me after the Medowlands closed one year he went out to Montana on a horse and got lost in the woods for a month didn’t wanna see anybody did some camping.
You got. Actually saw video of him and his dog. Nice camper. Not married anymore. Went out West to be with his Mom. Then she passed and he became a prospector. Seems happy and healthy after he had all those back surgeries. Weird guy, but awesome driver and hey, whatever makes you happy RIGHT??

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
You got. Actually saw video of him and his dog. Nice camper. Not married anymore. Went out West to be with his Mom. Then she passed and he became a prospector. Seems happy and healthy after he had all those back surgeries. Weird guy, but awesome driver and hey, whatever makes you happy RIGHT??
Exactly whatever makes you happy.

He owned a few horses with Walter Gower RIP.

Ron was a character I remember talking to him, and every time a good looking woman walked by he would totally ignore you and stare at the woman lol.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 10:20:27 AM »
lolol

I remember Walter Gower.  I had a groom that used to work for him and when they'd meet up in the paddock he'd ask Walter how he was and Walter would say, "Tired and sour, Walter Gower"

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2023, 10:59:28 AM »
lolol

I remember Walter Gower.  I had a groom that used to work for him and when they'd meet up in the paddock he'd ask Walter how he was and Walter would say, "Tired and sour, Walter Gower"
HA! That was him!!

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »
Faye Webster would send them to Kenny Ball to qualify and get a couple of starts, then get sent to Benny. Kenny was Edon Harner's 2nd trainer before going on his own, stayed in WNY. Years ago Faye had a huge horse trailer he hauled with an El Camino, it sagged a bit. Mary Shallenberg started in the business rubbin for Faye.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »
Faye Webster would send them to Kenny Ball to qualify and get a couple of starts, then get sent to Benny. Kenny was Edon Harner's 2nd trainer before going on his own, stayed in WNY. Years ago Faye had a huge horse trailer he hauled with an El Camino, it sagged a bit. Mary Shallenberg started in the business rubbin for Faye.
Awseome stuff  Love hearing personal human interest stories and trivia. Marb Shallenberg. Hmm rings a bell  Cant quite place her. ty for the anecdotes

Charamar Mellow

• NW-1
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 11:46:38 AM »

Pierce is the stupidest fucking guy in the history of racing.  I felt like I needed to tell him how many times to go around the track. 
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2023, 12:15:56 PM »
Pierce is the stupidest fucking guy in the history of racing.  I felt like I needed to tell him how many times to go around the track.
Post again when YOU earn $200 million driving horses and win dozens of the top races in the sport. Or when you earn $200 million doing anything.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal