Author Topic: Dusting off old track fave...fave on track promotion of all time  (Read 853 times)

Jctoronto

• Stakes Horse
Dusting off old track fave...fave on track promotion of all time
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:15:02 AM »
Before there was a 'Hippodrome de Montreal' there was a true promotional tale from the same Decarie Blvd. address..the one that was next to the Orange Julius, Blue Bonnets Montreal '76 or '77.

Breezy Sunday afternoon..betwee n races, maybe 6 and 7. Giving away a mobile home!!..big crowd, thousands of numbered paper ballot stubs in hand and a big glass drum to draw winning number from trackside.
Friend and me railside...number drawn, a couple minutes goes by, and winner has come forward.
SO, theres about 6000 losing ballots blowing on the ground afterwards. AND YOU GUESSED IT, mini-wind funnel pops up complete with hundreds of discarded home ballots during stretch drive of next race and it spooks Yves Fillion's COUNT CLAY who breaks 100 ft from home and goes down interfering with a couple others. If I recall, race refunded.
And yes, that track NEVER had another trackside draw. (though it did have a riot or two later years with benches lit up and tvs broken. Frenchmen hated to be cheated!!)

Any other intriguing promotions or maybe another fave..an in-person handcapping contest????
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 12:21:32 AM by Jctoronto »

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
Re: Dusting off old track fave...fave on track promotion of all time
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:24:31 AM »
Before there was a 'Hippodrome de Montreal' there was a true promotional tale from the same Decarie Blvd. address..the one that was next to the Orange Julius, Blue Bonnets Montreal '76 or '77.

Breezy Sunday afternoon..betwee n races, maybe 6 and 7. Giving away a mobile home!!..big crowd, thousands of numbered paper ballot stubs in hand and a big glass drum to draw winning number from trackside.
Friend and me railside...number drawn, a couple minutes goes by, and winner has come forward.
SO, theres about 6000 losing ballots blowing on the ground afterwards. AND YOU GUESSED IT, mini-wind funnel pops up complete with hundreds of discarded home ballots during stretch drive of next race and it spooks Yves Fillion's COUNT CLAY who breaks 100 ft from home and goes down interfering with a couple others. If I recall, race refunded.
And yes, that track NEVER had another trackside draw. (though it did have a riot or two later years with benches lit up and tvs broken. Frenchmen hated to be cheated!!)

Any other intriguing promotions or maybe another fave..an in-person handcapping contest????
Hilarious

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 03:47:10 PM »
Saratoga Whack and Track years ago...play golf with the drivers during the day, and dinner at the races after.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 04:08:47 PM »
Saratoga Whack and Track years ago...play golf with the drivers during the day, and dinner at the races after.
I would choose Percy Davis if given the choice. Not Bert Belanger tmbz1

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 04:49:54 PM »
I would choose Percy Davis if given the choice. Not Bert Belanger tmbz1

I caddied for Dan Cappello and was impressed by his skill. He can play.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 04:51:57 PM »
I caddied for Dan Cappello and was impressed by his skill. He can play.
I never played golf in my life and don't know if Percy Davis could. but the conversation would be great! He was a wild man.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 04:59:07 PM »
I never played golf in my life and don't know if Percy Davis could. but the conversation would be great! He was a wild man.

Percy is a lot like Ray S, does things his own way, very successful, and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 05:07:13 PM »
Percy is a lot like Ray S, does things his own way, very successful, and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks.
Overland Hanover

The Doctor

• NW-1
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 05:21:04 PM »
Back in mid to late 80's Maywood had Friday night pre-race parties. There was a raffle and one received 15 tickets, free admin, program, all you can drink beer for about two hours before first race. Also hot appetizers. We were young so we stocked up on the beer and drank free all night. Eleanor Flavin hosted and had a few give aways also. A ride in the pace car was one of the prizes.

Someone in the group, usually a few people, would win tickets every week. So free drinking every Friday night. Get a great buzz going and then hit the bars. 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal