Author Topic: OLD DAYS ..when tellers gave out hot tips  (Read 3612 times)

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
Re: OLD DAYS ..when tellers gave out hot tips
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2023, 02:45:55 PM »
I remembered Jocelyn Tremblay..he had stable next to Jeffrey dauplaise.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »
Jocelyn was a nice man and decent trainer. He was in my barn at YR after they had to relocate. Denis Gingras was in that barn too. He was denintely a satelite barn of Rejean's. That's not to say he couldnt function on his own. turned out he lived in the same condo complex as i did. Miss those days

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »
Many years ago, I went to Freestate Raceway one night and went up to the teller and ask for a 10 dollar win ticket on number 2. After I walked away, I noticed he gave me 10 to win on number 7, I went back to him to tell him of the error, I got shut out before I could get back to his window. While the race was going off, I told him, and he said just watch the race and I'll be happy with the mistake he made. Long story short. The 7 won and paid 52 dollars to win!. I gave him 100 bucks and we were both happy and laugh about it often when i went back to his window.

100% true story!
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2023, 04:03:43 PM »
Have heard stuff like that   Great it worked out for u     

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2023, 04:43:17 PM »
Years ago in the 60s and 70s at YR/RR the top drivers were supposed to have betting runners. If a top driver wanted to lay down a bet the runner would head to the drivers car where they would remove their hubcaps to get the cash to bet. Now I have no idea if this was true but the stories floated there for years.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2023, 05:19:35 PM »
Years ago in the 60s and 70s at YR/RR the top drivers were supposed to have betting runners. If a top driver wanted to lay down a bet the runner would head to the drivers car where they would remove their hubcaps to get the cash to bet. Now I have no idea if this was true but the stories floated there for years.
They kept their cash under hubcaps?

Why not in their pocket?

Wouldn't that be easier?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2023, 05:46:27 PM »
I have never seen or heard anything about cash in the hubcaps other than two incidents of French Canadian gambling drivers Henri Filion and Mike Lachance each being stopped crossing into Canada with more than the allowable 10k in cash and both times the money was in truck/trailer hubcaps   I guess anything is possible

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 06:15:42 PM »
They kept their cash under hubcaps?

Why not in their pocket?

Wouldn't that be easier?

Come on Calhoun , the exaggerated stories are much more interesting than reality.. My gambling horseman buddies just kept their bankrolls in rubber bands stuffed in their pockets or socks.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 06:44:21 PM »
Come on Calhoun , the exaggerated stories are much more interesting than reality.. My gambling horseman buddies just kept their bankrolls in rubber bands stuffed in their pockets or socks.
Keeping cash in truck and trailer hubcaps is NOT uncommon  like i said they often tried moving cash cross the border that way

Foxy Jacob

• NW-1
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 06:54:31 PM »
awhile back there used to be a teller at hawthorne that was a really short guy with a glass eye. Always give me the wrong number on purpose and then when I would catch it he had something smart to say. One night I was buried and not in a good mood and I end up at his window and hes sitting on a wooden bar stool punching tickets. I give him my bet and he punshes the wrong number and I look at the ticket and throw it on on the counter and tell him you heard what the fuck I said now cancel it and give me my right number. He says fuck you so I took a swing and hit him right below his glass eye and knocked him off the wooden stool he was sitting on behind the counter. Security came and needless to say I got arrested. Lol the bastard never gave me a wrong number again. JF

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2023, 07:03:22 PM »
of course he never gave you a wrong ticket again. After your arrest you must have been barred for life. You certainly should have been

Foxy Jacob

• NW-1
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »
of course he never gave you a wrong ticket again. After your arrest you must have been barred for life. You certainly should have been
How do you figure I should of been barred for life when the jackoff was doing that shit to me on purpose? I did get a $500 fine and 40 hours of community service. When youre doing shit like that to someone on purpose and its not a mistake you deserve to get your ass beat. JF

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 04:04:05 PM »
I thought you were going to tell us the guy was hiding cash behind his glass eye! I will tell you that there is a teller in the Saratoga Raceway simulcast on the 2nd floor who regularly tried to short change me. I finally went to their management and told them. I don’t think they did much. The guy still works there as of a few years ago.

Meadow Ford

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2023, 05:06:57 PM »
The tellers and cashiers at Pompano in the 60's were always trying to short change.
Example,
Say you are cashing a ticket for $29.80
He would snap down a ten followed by three fives, and three ones.
Then slide over two quarters.
Look to the guy behind you and say next.

There use to be $6 dollar combine tickets.
Say you buy two $6 tickets with a twenty.
Teller lays down your two tickets. Snaps down a five and two singles and looks up for the next guy.

Watched a teller do that to the guy ahead of me.
I asked the teller "How much to you make doing that"?
He hesitated then mumbled
"MORE THEN YOU WOULD BELIEVE".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:10:33 PM by Meadow Ford »
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »
One final story on this topic from me…About 1992 I flew to Miami for a 3-day business meeting at the Doral Hotel. I got in early so I went over to Flagler Dogs. Around race #4 I boxed 3-4-6 exacta for $2.00, $12.00 total. After most of the field imploded around the first turn I was left with two of my dogs way ahead and finished 3-4. The payout appears and it was over $7,500!! I took the entire exacta pool with the only winning combination. Now I go to collect and the teller says if I gave him 10% he wouldn’t have to report the winnings to the IRS. I have no idea how that could happen but I declined. I was afraid he was undercover or something and just ask for the net amount, they took out 20% back then, and I got a check. When I got back north a few friends this was a common tactic in those days. Has any other Plopper heard of this from years ago?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal