Author Topic: And NOW??  (Read 4866 times)

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Re: And NOW??
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 04:34:35 PM »
The comparisons that span half a century are ridiculous. You just can't make those. I could say that Bret or Most Happy Fella or Niatross were no Dan Patch. But it would be ridiculous. You just can't make valid assesments across that span.

Sorry not every year can be a 1993 where there were 5 or 6 potential HOY talents racing every week.

Not sure if you were there live and in person. I sure was and some contact to his people. Who Did Niatross beat. Very week crew that year. It happens. Niatross was a legendary pacer, generational. Fact is he caught a weak crew and overcame his connections. But it doesn't matter.

SBSW - fast, ultra tough. Really raced nothing special over long sections of his campaign.

Bottom line - when Confederate is comfortable, in hand and wrapped up in last halfs in 53 and change and last quarters sub 26, he could pace with anything that ever wore a harness in the modern era.
I was just naming better 3 year olds than Confederate. Dan Patch didn't race until he was 4.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2023, 04:56:24 PM »
For anyone that wasn't alive or followed harness racing in 1980, Niatross time trialing in 1:49.1 was so unreal that it would be similar to a horse pacing in 1:42 today. Niatross was so far ahead of his time.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2023, 05:13:23 PM »
I missed the race. Did Pelling say they are skipping the Tattersalls?

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2023, 05:16:47 PM »
The comparisons that span half a century are ridiculous. You just can't make those. I could say that Bret or Most Happy Fella or Niatross were no Dan Patch. But it would be ridiculous. You just can't make valid assesments across that span.

Sorry not every year can be a 1993 where there were 5 or 6 potential HOY talents racing every week.

Not sure if you were there live and in person. I sure was and some contact to his people. Who Did Niatross beat. Very week crew that year. It happens. Niatross was a legendary pacer, generational. Fact is he caught a weak crew and overcame his connections. But it doesn't matter.

SBSW - fast, ultra tough. Really raced nothing special over long sections of his campaign.

Bottom line - when Confederate is comfortable, in hand and wrapped up in last halfs in 53 and change and last quarters sub 26, he could pace with anything that ever wore a harness in the modern era.

SBSW had 4 others in his crop that made over 1 million. I wouldn’t say he raced. Nobody

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2023, 05:38:39 PM »
SBSW had 4 others in his crop that made over 1 million. I wouldn’t say he raced. Nobody

There were several more than that who made $1 million from that crop.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2023, 05:43:00 PM »
There were several more than that who made $1 million from that crop.

I was only talking about 2-3yr old year and being conservative. In my opinion that was one of the best crops of 3yr olds I have seen

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2023, 07:17:02 PM »
If the 2 of them meet in the Breeder's Crown Confederate should beat him.  Confederate could win the TVG most likely in November if they want to extend his career 1 month.
You can get this tattoo on your ass , Confederate will not race against the older FFA in the TVG, he’s no Niatross and would get absolutely shredded by them.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2023, 07:27:10 PM »
I would say it's a pretty mediocre crop of 3 yr olds...Possibly makes him look better than he might be...But he 'IS' clearly the best 'THIS' year.

How is this a mediocre crop of 3 yr olds? Seven Colors WR on a half. IMS WR for a gelding on 5/8. IMS WR for a gelding mile track. Confederate WR mile track. Ken Hanover fastest Jug ever. But I do agree Confederate is clearly the best, which considering everything makes him one of the greatest 3 yr. old pacers ever.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2023, 07:31:39 PM »
interesting view points
but one thing is 100% confirmed
ims did beat confederate in the na cup
the trophy says so
the check says so
we can all make excuses for horses in races, boxed, slow half, poor cover etc
just go with who actually won , its much easier

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2023, 07:49:29 PM »
interesting view points
but one thing is 100% confirmed
ims did beat confederate in the na cup
the trophy says so
the check says so
we can all make excuses for horses in races, boxed, slow half, poor cover etc
just go with who actually won , its much easier
Yeah but none of that matters, Confederates the GOAT . Even if he should happen to get beat in the BC & if AB goes insane and puts him the TVG and he gets a Tattoo , like BTM did he’s still the greatest. Those million dollar wins don’t count!

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
Since when is every top 3 year old of the year considered one of the greatest? Confederate set a world record against nobody so does that make him one of the greatest? Nowadays everybody should know that time is not the biggest factor in making a horse great.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »
easy rabbit on the goat talk
he is the best 3 yr old in 2023 , agreed

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2023, 08:55:25 PM »
Since when is every top 3 year old of the year considered one of the greatest? Confederate set a world record against nobody so does that make him one of the greatest? Nowadays everybody should know that time is not the biggest factor in making a horse great.
Very true. Time only counts when you're under water.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2023, 09:15:10 PM »
Very true. Time only counts when you're under water.

He's been under wraps the last six starts.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2023, 09:20:23 PM »
He's been under wraps the last six starts.
I never said he wasn't a good horse but calling him one of the best ever is ridiculous.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like the cool soothing feel.
    May 13, 2024, 07:32:06 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Noxema gives me a soothing rush
    May 12, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Wouldn't know, never had a need for it
    May 12, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes it still offers that same cool sensation.
    May 12, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
  • SwankToliverA: Rooster- ppl still use Noxzema?
    May 11, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal