Author Topic: The Silvermans  (Read 5762 times)

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
The Silvermans
« on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:04 AM »
I was looking at a few old Meadowlands programs from the early 2000s when I can across the driver Richard Silverman. I believe he is the son of HOF trainer Jerry Silverman. Then I recalled that Richard gave up driving and was a trainer at Pompano Park.I know Richard was never a great driver at the Meadowlands but occasionally he brought in a few bombs. In the final 3-5 years of Pompano I do not recall Richard listed on any horses as a trainer so I have no idea what became of him. Hopefully his father is still with us and doing ok. Does anyone have any history with the Silvermans or know what became of them?

The Exporter

• Elite
Re: The Silvermans
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 08:39:29 AM »
He had a bad race accident and I don't think he ever regained full confidence. Last I heard he was selling cars.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 08:43:46 AM »
I worked for Jerry Silverman as a groom when I arrived at the Big M after time at a farm in Illinois. That was my first time at amajor stable and I was very nervous day 1. Jerry was great to work for and Richie was a cool kid. He was flashy, like to try and leave hard in those days and did "the best he could". If alive he would have to be approaching 90. Deserved HOF, though like Lucien, it took Goshen forever to finally elect him.

No idea what Richie is doing now. 

Pretty sure his daughter, Melissa is Mark Beckwith's wife.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 08:45:13 AM »
My post was a bit confusing. Obviously, I meant Jerry's daughter.....

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 09:42:12 AM »
im impressed  ..there is not anyone who you have not worked for or know about and know how to train a horse  and shoe a horse and drive a standard bred. VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE

Bernie Madoff

• Elite
  • In the beginning, man created"god".
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 09:49:57 AM »
im impressed  ..there is not anyone who you have not worked for or know about and know how to train a horse  and shoe a horse and drive a standard bred. VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE

ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
He who laughs last, laughs best.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »
Ok lets be clear. Started at 19 in Chi. with Willis and Graham after growing up in NE. then went on to the Meadowlands and worked for Jerry Silverman and Lew Williams and then slowly and with much struggle early, went on my own. I know nothing about breeding and enough about shoeing to get by. Anything I learned came mostly from listening to and watching John Santoro as he shod horses. I have clearly stated that I NEVER DROVE A RACE IN MY LIFE, but consider myself a pretty good judge of driving  ability. Breeding is way above my pay grade. Something else I know little about. I was a claimer/overnight racehorse guy. I had a reputation on the backstretch for being very serious and passionate about the business. I loved the action of the paddock and if I wasn;t racing one, I did tons of catch paddocks just to be in the "action" and it allowed me to rub elbows and talk with lots of great people from all over and learn a great deal. The only thing i know for sure, is that I don't know that much. There is so much to learn and still be learned.

German proverb - We are too soon old and too late smart.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 09:54:07 AM »
Die ngc3

Newt Lobell

• 4 claimer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »
Richie drove my very last winner at the Meadowlands. Good guy.

Newt Lobell

• 4 claimer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
I worked for Jerry Silverman as a groom when I arrived at the Big M after time at a farm in Illinois. That was my first time at amajor stable and I was very nervous day 1. Jerry was great to work for and Richie was a cool kid. He was flashy, like to try and leave hard in those days and did "the best he could". If alive he would have to be approaching 90. Deserved HOF, though like Lucien, it took Goshen forever to finally elect him.

No idea what Richie is doing now. 

Pretty sure his daughter, Melissa is Mark Beckwith's wife.

Do you remember Peter Krasner who was Jerry’s assistant trainer in the 80’s? Very astute young horseman. I recall this down under mare that the owners has purchased, Peter shared the horse was a beast and jogged from an eight hole in debut.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »
LOL

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 01:35:01 PM »
Wow. Peter Krassner. There's a name i had not thought about in years. Certainly remember him. Jerry had a lot of high powered stock. He had a mare that earned 2 million-can't remember her name but I recall that he was the first trainer to do so. Do you keep in touch with Richie, know how he is doing?

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 01:36:08 PM »
Richie drove my very last winner at the Meadowlands. Good guy.
Extremely hot wife

onabrake

• Open / FFA
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 01:37:15 PM »

This sarcasm coming from the bustout of the Meadowlands for many years. No advancement, no forward path, just the type that Gural loves to "employ". How's that retirement plan coming along? NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
Wow. Peter Krassner. There's a name i had not thought about in years. Certainly remember him. Jerry had a lot of high powered stock. He had a mare that earned 2 million-can't remember her name but I recall that he was the first trainer to do so. Do you keep in touch with Richie, know how he is doing?
The mare was Glowing Report

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal