Author Topic: Top 5 3 yr. old pacers in history revisited  (Read 5491 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Top 5 3 yr. old pacers in history revisited
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2023, 05:59:31 PM »
I am going to submit another perspective that isnt very popular.

SBSW--lightly raced, most of his races were against Ontario Gold Series horses

He made a meaningless speed mark at Lexington(46.4 i believe), the same day Art Official raced in 46.4, (Lexington "seeded" them in separate divisions preventing the rematch),other than that, he was protected and rested between races, skipped many of the big 3yo races in the US, and unlike Niatross, who only two losses(37 wins out of 39 races)had legit excuses(fever at Saratoga and then broke stride in the M Pace elim), SBSW came to the Big M Pace completely rested and healthy, brought his "A " game--and was defeated. I think he only raced 19 times in his entire career. His best race was his final race--at Yonkers in the rain where he defeated Shadow Play by a nose in a memorable stretch battle. He showed some real guts in that race even though he raced on the better part of the track with all the rain. MacGrath then scratched him out of Dover, rumor has it because he didnt want another loss pinned on his record. He was extremely lightly raced to have an undefeated career, that failed and it wasnt MacDonnell's fault, or YGs drive on Bullville Powerful that beat him. He just wasnt an all time great. I am sorry that this will upset many people here.

These are facts.
In many ways I agree with all that you said, In fact the only reason I put him in my top 5 and not Cam's Card Shark or Jenna's Beach Boy was Because I knew I would hear a lot of shit if i didn't and because he overcame his driver and because of his memorable Meadowlands Pace albeit in dereat. he was so naturally talented. that you cant take away...

Personalli i wasnt the greatest SBSW fan but felt he had to be recognized as an immortal horse.

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2023, 10:48:28 AM »
I am going to submit another perspective that isnt very popular.

SBSW--lightly raced, most of his races were against Ontario Gold Series horses

He made a meaningless speed mark at Lexington(46.4 i believe), the same day Art Official raced in 46.4, (Lexington "seeded" them in separate divisions preventing the rematch),other than that, he was protected and rested between races, skipped many of the big 3yo races in the US, and unlike Niatross, who only two losses(37 wins out of 39 races)had legit excuses(fever at Saratoga and then broke stride in the M Pace elim), SBSW came to the Big M Pace completely rested and healthy, brought his "A " game--and was defeated. I think he only raced 19 times in his entire career. His best race was his final race--at Yonkers in the rain where he defeated Shadow Play by a nose in a memorable stretch battle. He showed some real guts in that race even though he raced on the better part of the track with all the rain. MacGrath then scratched him out of Dover, rumor has it because he didnt want another loss pinned on his record. He was extremely lightly raced to have an undefeated career, that failed and it wasnt MacDonnell's fault, or YGs drive on Bullville Powerful that beat him. He just wasnt an all time great. I am sorry that this will upset many people here.

These are facts.
Well.....those are not really the facts.  He did race 21 times, missed a few due to sickness. Sadly, this is very common. To look at some other horses and starts... Tall Dark Stranger 22 starts, Muscle Hill 21, Greenshoe 17, Bulldog Hanover had 21 start between 2 and 3 year old....Confederat e only has 15 starts to date, what will he end his career with??? 20 or so.   The top three yr old over the last 10 to 15 years retire around 25 starts.  It sucks....but it's the way our breed has gone.
    He only raced in 3 OSS races, 2 elims and a final at 3. In the final there were 3 other millionaires.  He did race in the Battle of Waterloo in his first two lifetime starts which is an Ontario stake.  The same day SBSW won in 46.4  Art Official won in 48.3.    SBSW raced against an extremely good crop....I forget exactly but I believe there were 17 or 18 that made over a $1 million lifetime.  An amazing career and an even better breeding career. Easily one of the best of all time.

Jackie Mo

• Top Claimer
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2023, 12:03:44 PM »
OK Lance--thanks for the corrections

comparing him to all the other lightly raced horses since then means little

he didnt dance many dances--didnt face adversity, skipped almost all of the big 3 yo races

my point is when you dont dance all the dances and are rested heavily between races, you avoid many issues like wear and tear that racing regularly provides, you avoid outside draws, getting parked, getting used, facing your peers on a normal schedule

Shadow Play was the only other decent 3yo he faced--Art Official was a joke and then you go down to Badlands Nitro

pointing at earnings means little- slot welfare enhancing purses doesnt impress me-hardly a  top crop of 3yos

of course he was a good sire--no arguing that-but i was referring to his racing career not his stud career

one of the most over rated popular horses of all time

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2023, 12:28:33 PM »

he didnt dance many dances--didnt face adversity, skipped almost all of the big 3 yo races

my point is when you dont dance all the dances and are rested heavily between races, you avoid many issues like wear and tear that racing regularly provides, you avoid outside draws, getting parked, getting used, facing your peers on a normal schedule

Shadow Play was the only other decent 3yo he faced--Art Official was a joke and then you go down to Badlands Nitro

pointing at earnings means little- slot welfare enhancing purses doesnt impress me-hardly a  top crop of 3yos

of course he was a good sire--no arguing that-but i was referring to his racing career not his stud career

I stand firmly with Jackie Mo here. Lotta Canadian hype too

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2023, 03:29:32 PM »

Other than the Jug, SBSW raced in all the big ones. Burlington, NA Cup, Meadowlands Pace, Simcoe, Bluegrass, Confederation Cup,  Tatterstalls, Messenger,  Breeders Crown. 
  You can compare him to the lightly raced horses because every horse that is a top horse, trotter or pacer retires with 20-25 starts. This is normal and has been for a while. I don't like it but its reality. You can talk about every crop in history as being weak, etc. This was a very above average crop and you had a horse retiring as the richest and fastest 3 yr old of all time.  Not sure what else you would have to do.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2023, 03:39:02 PM »
you can only beast who lines up on the gate with you
and he did that all but once

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Never tried it for that purpose. Will give it a try!
    May 15, 2024, 05:00:44 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: Vicks Vapor Rub is a great slipping cream
    May 14, 2024, 05:43:11 PM
  • The Thorn: Damn, You'all sound like a bunch of pussies.  Go smell some flowers and report back
    May 14, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal