Author Topic: Opinions regarding announcers?  (Read 7617 times)

Easy Irv

• Top Claimer
Opinions regarding announcers?
« on: July 25, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
Should an announcer call that a horse is breaking behind the starting gate before the race starts or should they only call a breaking horse after the race has started? I say only after the race starts. I ask this because as an online better I keep a close watch on my horses before the race starts and am ready to cancel a bet if I see mine breaking. However, if someone betting is lazy and not prepared to cancel their bet if their animal is breaking I say they do not deserve any help from the announcer! What are your thoughts?

MR.DALRAE

• Living Legend
Re: Opinions regarding announcers?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
Cancelling should be illegal

Easy Irv

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
Cancelling should be illegal
It is.... for people that are lazy!

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »
If you are betting horses that don’t come to the gate you have problems. 

Easy Irv

• Top Claimer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:45:43 PM »
I feel the opposite of you Irv. This is actually a pet peeve of mine and I've mentioned it before.. The announcer is there to help the public and describe the situation. Not announcing if a horse is breaking before the start is not fulfilling this obligation. Other things can be going on at home, or you could be handicapping another race, or multitasking on your computer and not paying full attention. Jimmy B. at Pocono is notorious for not calling a breaking horse before the start. He also sometimes won't mention a horse going off stride during the race. It's almost like he doesn't want to or can't interrupt the flow of his constant babbling to try to inform the public. He has time to make his sly little quips during the race, he should also be able to inform the public about breakers. It is often hard to see which horse broke during a race for the public. At least he gives you a little warning when the race is going to start so you can check for yourself. The new guy at The Meadows hardly gives you any notice before they start. The best I've seen at announcing breakers on time before and during a race was Joe Alto when he was announcing in California. He could do it during a race right away and intertwine it seamlessly with the calling of the race .

I respectfully disagree. I do not feel the announcer has any obligation or even should announce a break before the race starts. Remember, if he announces a breaker and somebody cancels because of this....It hurts the people that didn't bet this horse odds wise when money is taken off the board! Soooo, I feel the announcer should not announce any breakers till the race starts. If you are distracted...to bad. It's your job to know what's going on!

firhill

• Top Claimer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:09:27 PM »
On a good night, Gary Guy might mention it before the field hits the quarter pole.

bestbetter

• Open / FFA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:25:32 PM »
Should an announcer call that a horse is breaking behind the starting gate before the race starts or should they only call a breaking horse after the race has started? I say only after the race starts. I ask this because as an online better I keep a close watch on my horses before the race starts and am ready to cancel a bet if I see mine breaking. However, if someone betting is lazy and not prepared to cancel their bet if their animal is breaking I say they do not deserve any help from the announcer! What are your thoughts?
To lazy or dumb. I never thought to do this tyvm... tmbz1

Easy Irv

• Top Claimer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 11:49:02 PM »
Sure. If it's your job to know what's going on why announce it at all. Why even have an announcer. :)

Well you have a point. Announcers are not necessary but they make the race more interesting. My favorite was John Bothe. Loved the guy! Again though, if you have to rely on an announcer to tell you there is trouble before the race starts and you are not on top of it yourself...you are doomed anyway!

oreogator2

• NW-1
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 12:49:34 AM »
My responsibility, as an announcer, first and foremost, is to that fan who puts his money down, and gets every break that I can find to make that race productive, for him.
And that means calling breaking horses before the start, horses not getting up to the gate, horses getting boxed, getting interfered with, even inside pylons.
I want you to win, and come back.
I once got in trouble for calling a 3-5 shot as sulking, and not wanting to go. The trainer called just as the race ended, chewing me out because his owners, who had travelled a long way to see their horse, didn’t want to hear that he sulked.
The fans needed that reason.
I asked the trainer if I should have said the driver gave him a bad steer? Or the  trainer didn’t get him ready? I gave them both an out. Both driver and trainer were #1 in stats.
The point being, the fan needs to know.
And, if I can give an edge, like calling breakers before the start, I am going to do it.
I do hope that makes sense to you.
Marty Adler
Former track announcer,
Windsor Raceway
Hazel Park Raceway

bestbetter

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:27:22 AM »
My responsibility, as an announcer, first and foremost, is to that fan who puts his money down, and gets every break that I can find to make that race productive, for him.
And that means calling breaking horses before the start, horses not getting up to the gate, horses getting boxed, getting interfered with, even inside pylons.
I once got in trouble for calling a 3-5 shot as sulking, and not wanting to go. The trainer called just as the race ended, chewing me out because his owners, who had travelled a long way to see their horse, didn’t want to hear that he sulked.
I asked the trainer if I should have said the driver gave him a bad steer? Or the  trainer didn’t get him ready? I gave them both an out. Both driver and trainer were #1 in stats.
And, if I can give an edge, like calling breakers before the start, I am going to do it.
Marty Adler
Former track announcer,
Windsor Raceway
Hazel Park Raceway
Nice, Hazel Park Homeboy... tmbz1

Rabbi Of Racing

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:26 AM »
Marty Adler
Former track announcer,
Windsor Raceway
Hazel Park Raceway
God Bless you Marty,around these parts you truly are a living legend!  tmbz1 Stay well,"It's that man again! Richard Caroll  ;D tmbz1

Jctoronto

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »
Marty has been a difference-maker for a long time
Thank you

Gym Jeffersun

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »
Mumbles aka "The Mouth" had an opinion also............. ....DON'T QUESTION MINE............. ..what Ringo knew about the program.......... ...any 5 year old knew more............. ..."The Mouth" was all about "ME"..............how someone could be around the track for 50+ years and not be able to learn anything......... .........and relate that to racing fans is beyond me.............BE there............ ...wager now............th ank you Mark and OHIO............. ........
Just love doing the broadcast. Shuley, Chumlee, Paddock have gotten used to the holier than thou attitude. We only work on the show, because we get paid. Dealing with Ringo is a different story.

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 09:43:52 AM »
God Bless you Marty,around these parts you truly are a living legend!  tmbz1 Stay well,"It's that man again! Richard Caroll  ;D tmbz1
Agree.  So lucky to grow up hearing the dulcet tones of Marty and Ernie H.

Best wishes to Marty.

tmbz1

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 10:02:46 AM »
You're either a small straight pool bettor or likely full of shit.

Tell me how you cancel a string of p-4 or p-5 wagers when your horse jumps an 1/8 or 3/16 before the start.

Tell me how much lag time there is in the video feed you get vs the true live running.  ((If you don't know this, you Mos Def full of shit))

Get back to me, ok breh?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Kirby's Ace: Why? Your already here!
    Today at 12:20:48 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Admin Bring back XYZ.
    March 28, 2024, 10:02:39 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes XYZ you are missed
    March 28, 2024, 09:56:46 PM
  • Mazola: Hey XYZ, miss you buddy!
    March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 PM
  • FirstUpFrom8Hole: Do Piff Daddy know Antiqua has an extradition treaty wif the US of A?
    March 28, 2024, 06:39:42 PM
  • Calhoun: Some White Boy Diddy gave a ride to got popped for Coke and Edibles.
    March 28, 2024, 03:24:42 PM
  • Papillon: TMZ tracked Puff Daddy in Antigua, the West Indies. I don't think he is coming back.
    March 28, 2024, 12:49:49 PM
  • The Thorn: Alligning oneself with the Puff Diddler is probably not a politically correct move at this point
    March 28, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal