Author Topic: The good old days when the Westchester county fair came to YR  (Read 737 times)

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
The good old days when the Westchester county fair came to YR
« on: September 27, 2023, 08:09:58 PM »
When that county fair was running in the early 90's it took them a while to figure out some of the carnival games spooked the horses and made them break. They had that water pistol balloon game mid stretch. When someone won the game crazy loud bells would ring and if it happened during a race when the field was in the stretch about 1/2 the horses broke. The same thing with that guy they shot out of a canon in the infield, the BOOM had the same effect.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: The good old days when the Westchester county fair came to YR
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 08:18:34 PM »
When that county fair was running in the early 90's it took them a while to figure out some of the carnival games spooked the horses and made them break. They had that water pistol balloon game mid stretch. When someone won the game crazy loud bells would ring and if it happened during a race when the field was in the stretch about 1/2 the horses broke. The same thing with that guy they shot out of a canon in the infield, the BOOM had the same effect.
It goes back a tad further. I remember I actually won with a horse called Country Fair at the County fair at YR. Purse was 1k plus a gold plated dish that a niece of Tim Rooney's presented. Richard Wojcio drove. Goofy shit

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:55:16 PM »
Presiding judge Frank and brother Joe Pellegrino’s mom had the best sausage stand at the fair! The sausage sandwich with peppers and onions was out of this world!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 09:35:45 PM »
Presiding judge Frank and brother Joe Pellegrino’s mom had the best sausage stand at the fair! The sausage sandwich with peppers and onions was out of this world!
I remember that. If i am not mistaken I think it was on the apron in front of the clubhouse area/first turn

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
They moved that sausage stand in different years. the last time I saw it it was near the first turn. I always loved the zeppole's.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 10:00:34 AM »
Did the same people have that BBQ tent on the apron around the time when Laughs ran 4th with 100k to show on him? non fair time. My late father collected 66 bucks to show on a different horse in that race.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 11:52:34 AM »
I remember that. If i am not mistaken I think it was on the apron in front of the clubhouse area/first turn
Yes!!

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 11:53:48 AM »
Did the same people have that BBQ tent on the apron around the time when Laughs ran 4th with 100k to show on him? non fair time. My late father collected 66 bucks to show on a different horse in that race.
I’m not sure about that, but you had to mention the Zeppoli’s!! Now I’m craving them!!

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 11:59:36 AM »
I wonder if Mary in the race office is still around? Damn, she was hot.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Thats self centered to the max Madoff.
    May 19, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
  • Laag: ruthless
    May 19, 2024, 05:57:58 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: I come in my hand.
    May 19, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: it comes in handy
    May 16, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: No do explain...
    May 16, 2024, 11:48:54 AM
  • Frank the Zipper: Have you tried Whackenal in the handy 16 ozcan?
    May 16, 2024, 08:36:36 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Still say Noxema is the best for tug time.
    May 15, 2024, 07:13:14 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: I like how it feels between my toes and ass cheeks. way better than desenex, or prep H
    May 15, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal