Author Topic: breaking yearlings  (Read 4723 times)

brownmoose13

• Top Claimer
breaking yearlings
« on: October 09, 2023, 11:21:44 PM »
How is it possible for a trainer to purchase yearlings on one day and then have them hooked to a jog cart, the next day calmly walking  them to the track and then jog like its old hat?

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
Re: breaking yearlings
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:20:28 AM »
Anything is possible, but definitely not probable, unless of course the yearling was already broke when purchased. Are you referring to a specific yearling or trainer?

Swandre

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 12:26:55 AM »
1 - breeding has improved
2 - they’re handled much more around the breeding farms now before they sell

PineHurstPacer

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 01:13:44 AM »
Brownmoose and Swandre are 100% spot on

I was surprised to see them hooked and jogging the first day too

but if you watch any of AM videos from theStable's yearlings, they are hooked the first day

1 extra man on the jog cart with lead rope

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
And it its a yearling you send to Greg Peck, He's training them down in a week, so they barely make to the track as a 2yr.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 07:55:07 AM »
Brownmoose and Swandre are 100% spot on

I was surprised to see them hooked and jogging the first day too

but if you watch any of AM videos from theStable's yearlings, they are hooked the first day

1 extra man on the jog cart with lead rope
They just don’t post videos of the ones that are upside down in the ditches

brownmoose13

• Top Claimer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 08:10:10 AM »
My understanding is that the only way to purchase a yearling at a sale and do what I mentioned is to tranquilize the horse so videos can be made. If this is true aren't we talking about needles and syringes and then where are the judges. When we buy yearlings it takes us 3-4 weeks to break them properly but then again we are not trying to impress anyone

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 08:31:27 AM »
My understanding is that the only way to purchase a yearling at a sale and do what I mentioned is to tranquilize the horse so videos can be made. If this is true aren't we talking about needles and syringes and then where are the judges. When we buy yearlings it takes us 3-4 weeks to break them properly but then again we are not trying to impress anyone

No in many cases, guys get them home and throw a harness on them for a day or two, and by second or third day they hook them. This is not an unusual practice.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 09:01:13 AM »
No in many cases, guys get them home and throw a harness on them for a day or two, and by second or third day they hook them. This is not an unusual practice.

I believe you, but what's the rush? At least line drive them for a week or so before you hook them up. Just to eliminate the risk of injury to the horse and yourself.

dinkadoo

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 09:05:58 AM »
I believe you, but what's the rush? At least line drive them for a week or so before you hook them up. Just to eliminate the risk of injury to the horse and yourself.
Yearling sales for thoroughbreds, there are certain farms/consignors are already breaking them to bridle/saddle and being led with and without rider. Been awhile since I broke a standardbred, not sure if farms are breaking standardbreds to harness and bridle ? Nice little selling point taking that step out of the equation.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 09:11:54 AM »
makes a lot of sense to me.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
The way alot of guys do this nowadays is a continuous progression of the "push button "society we live in today! You have to hurry up and see if they are keepers before it's too late for a replacement!

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »

Anywhere except Jersey you can have needles and medicines in your barn if not stabled at the track. In Jersey you can easily get the vet to tranquilize

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 10:11:05 AM »
Turn them out till after Harrisburg, does anybody believe that a month earlier start makes a difference. If you have to break them go for a couple weeks and kick them out. We never broke any yearlings till middle of November when we got to Fla. Never had a problem, we were ahead of the people in the north anyway. Never TQ, some time you have to take it away and ya never know how they'll be.

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »
When I work for Jerry Silverman, they would come from Harrisburg straight to Florida. As soon as they got off the truck or that morning we would put all their equipment on including hobbles. Take them out on a third line and start jogging. By day 3 there on there own

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Nothing a cold hand an Noxema can't cure.
    May 09, 2024, 09:11:36 PM
  • Indian24: Damn those sound just like sun blisters my bad good thing
    May 07, 2024, 03:59:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: They keep popping and my backs getting wet.
    May 07, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Oh the agony of these little pustules
    May 07, 2024, 09:09:09 AM
  • Indian24: Herpes can be treated but will always be with you  ngc3
    May 06, 2024, 10:11:57 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    May 06, 2024, 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal