HORSEPLOP.COM

General Category => Harness Racing => Topic started by: arniesarmy on August 01, 2026, 11:07:13 PM

Title: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: arniesarmy on August 01, 2026, 11:07:13 PM
Race 11 has been delayed for 10 minutes now because the backstretch has to be cleared of confetti from fireworks at the stadium. I would think maybe the fireworks would have delayed races, but confetti? Horse race in snowstorms and rainstorms. Confetti is going to trip them up? Never would have thought it.
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: Kirby's Ace on August 01, 2026, 11:12:41 PM
I can tell you never sat behind one and that's why I'll excuse this one.

However, stop by my farm one day and I'll let you jog one and then throw shredded paper in front of you and we'll see what you think! But your responsible for the horse!
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: arniesarmy on August 02, 2026, 12:40:39 AM
I can tell you never sat behind one and that's why I'll excuse this one.

However, stop by my farm one day and I'll let you jog one and then throw shredded paper in front of you and we'll see what you think! But your responsible for the horse!

I did jog a cheap horse I was part of 30 years ago on Del Insko's farm in northern Illinois. Would not think small shredded paper would spook them, but obviously you know. Thanks for the response.
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: MIKE CAMPBELL on August 02, 2026, 06:02:06 AM
I've had horses spook from a piece of paper 20 feet away
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: Harness racer on August 02, 2026, 06:04:45 AM
It’s crazy what spooks a horse.   They are definitely creatures of habit and anything out of the norm throws them off.
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: Jctoronto on August 02, 2026, 06:32:42 AM
Mid 70s Montreal's Blue Bonnets, Sunday afternoon mid card big crowd. They had just had raffle for new mobile home. The draw happened after race 6 or 7. 
Hundreds of losing ticket stubs from hundreds on the apron at rail began to swirl in strong wind in the stretch as horses in next race were coming for home. Yves Filion and Count Clay involved in big accident as he was spooked. Refund No Contest if I remember the call right.  And I believe they had to bring out the horse ambulance right in front of all of us to either remove CC or another from the proceedings.

That promotion needless to say was not repeated again at BBR.

Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: Meadow Ford on August 04, 2026, 02:10:04 PM
A windblown hot dog wrapper maybe the worst.
Average horse will think it is a jet plane coming full speed at them.
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: Meadow Ford on August 04, 2026, 02:22:44 PM
I did jog a cheap horse I was part of 30 years ago on Del Insko's farm in northern Illinois. Would not think small shredded paper would spook them, but obviously you know. Thanks for the response.
You would not recognize Del Insko's farm today.
Main horse pasture is now a sub division with a dozen or more half a million dollar homes.
100 or so empty stalls.
Barn offices full of trophies, memories, and pictures.
Title: Re: Confetti halts the Meadowlands
Post by: arniesarmy on August 06, 2026, 12:37:55 AM
You would not recognize Del Insko's farm today.
Main horse pasture is now a sub division with a dozen or more half a million dollar homes.
100 or so empty stalls.
Barn offices full of trophies, memories, and pictures.
I'm sure. Del was a nice guy. Saw him plenty of times at the OTB in Rockford. Always had a toothpick in his mouth.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal