HORSEPLOP.COM

General Category => Harness Racing => Topic started by: captaintreacherous on July 05, 2026, 01:31:40 PM

Title: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: captaintreacherous on July 05, 2026, 01:31:40 PM
now......I find it almost impossible to win..

The CAW wagering really has hurt the Tbreds and Harness
bettors alike.

Who can bet when the odds drop to 1/5 at the 1/2 Mile Pole.
With sports at least I can get Fixed odds.
I used to make a few good scores every so often...
but now ...no chance...
I guess I forgot how to handicap.
I am not sure what these tracks will do to stay in business..
Gural puts on a good show....he is the leader from what I see.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: pocketrocketwinner on July 05, 2026, 01:39:33 PM
Gural pioneered the inclusion of CAW

His broadcast proudly congratulated Elite Turf Club taking down pools.

You cant be anti CAW and want Gural as the "leader" are the same time
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Harness racer on July 05, 2026, 01:46:51 PM
Gural pioneered the inclusion of CAW

His broadcast proudly congratulated Elite Turf Club taking down pools.

You cant be anti CAW and want Gural as the "leader" are the same time

i completely agree people hate CAW but love Gural.  He has welcomed them with open arms.  One of the dumbest things Otten ever said (I think it was her), when she congratulated them for taking down a pool.  Clueless!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: captaintreacherous on July 05, 2026, 11:06:17 PM
I thought it was the Stronach Group that advanced the CAW?
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Checked Up on July 06, 2026, 07:55:11 PM
Now it's tough to find a track that races 5 days a week 😕
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: jupiter on July 06, 2026, 09:19:34 PM
I remember the days of 6 night a week racing. Doubleheaders 4th of July. Betting at Goshen. OTB Classic, Silk Stockings. It's never going to rescue it.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 06, 2026, 10:49:34 PM
I remember the days of 6 night a week racing. Doubleheaders 4th of July. Betting at Goshen. OTB Classic, Silk Stockings. It's never going to rescue it.
I was at the "Mighty M" when Silk Stockings went 157.3 in the first Monticello OTB Classic. Place was packed as the "Silkster" and Preston Burris Jr. won the big race. I'll never forget it. Great times!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: The Doctor on July 06, 2026, 10:55:56 PM
Now it's tough to find a track that races 5 days a week 😕

Southern Ohio
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: rainman2 on July 06, 2026, 10:57:44 PM
Southern Ohio

Yonkers and about 20 less races than Ohio too!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: captaintreacherous on July 07, 2026, 10:41:19 AM
No Roosevelt, Freehold, Liberty Bell, but

kentucky Racing????


Gimme a break....

Have u seen these drivers at these kentucky Tracks???

No wonder no one goes to the harness tracks anymore
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Pacer 2 on July 07, 2026, 11:38:02 AM
No Roosevelt, Freehold, Liberty Bell, but

 .

Have u seen these drivers at these kentucky Tracks???

 


        Maybe you could do better? 
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Lance on July 07, 2026, 11:39:53 AM
I remember the days of 6 night a week racing. Doubleheaders 4th of July. Betting at Goshen. OTB Classic, Silk Stockings. It's never going to rescue it.
I remember going to the track 4 nights a week, double headers most of those nights. Those were the days.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Kenny on July 07, 2026, 01:46:50 PM
now......I find it almost impossible to win..

The CAW wagering really has hurt the Tbreds and Harness
bettors alike.

Who can bet when the odds drop to 1/5 at the 1/2 Mile Pole.
With sports at least I can get Fixed odds.
I used to make a few good scores every so often...
but now ...no chance...
I guess I forgot how to handicap.
I am not sure what these tracks will do to stay in business..
Gural puts on a good show....he is the leader from what I see.

There is a simple solution to this that is EASY to implement.  Wagering ends at post time...period. The car does not move until wagering is closed. This patter also eliminates the need for post time drag. It will never happen because the tracks want the dollars represented by "late money".
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Lockedin with Pace on July 07, 2026, 02:07:08 PM
In the heyday at Meadowlands with 3 million dollar handles, 15,000 people in attendance the races always started on time. Settlemoir tried it for a short time earlier in the year and handle tanked so he weaseled out of it. He didn't give it enough time.
The bettors always adjust and if they know the races are starting on time, they'll adjust accordingly, and after a short time handle won't be affected much.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 07, 2026, 06:51:52 PM
No Roosevelt, Freehold, Liberty Bell, but

kentucky Racing????


Gimme a break....

Have u seen these drivers at these kentucky Tracks???

No wonder no one goes to the harness tracks anymore
In New England, we must have lost a dozen tracks, both throughbred and harness racing. I have been at all the tracks you mentioned. Gone the way of the dodo.....
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: rainman2 on July 07, 2026, 06:55:41 PM
No Roosevelt, Freehold, Liberty Bell, but

kentucky Racing????


Gimme a break....

Have u seen these drivers at these kentucky Tracks???

No wonder no one goes to the harness tracks anymore

If there are no stakes races, these drivers compare to quite a few drivers at the c/d racetracks in North America today!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: captaintreacherous on July 08, 2026, 05:42:35 PM
Michigan 1992.             12 Tracks


Michigan 2026                0 Tracks



Yikes
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 08, 2026, 06:54:57 PM
Michigan 1992.             12 Tracks


Michigan 2026                0 Tracks



Yikes
New England lost Rockihgham, Foxboro, Suffolk Downs, Green Mountain, Lewiston, Scarborough Downs, Hinsdale, and a few more i'm sure I left out.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Lockedin with Pace on July 08, 2026, 07:01:00 PM
Brandywine, Liberty Bell, and Garden State was my circuit, had very good racing at one time, all long gone.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: andrew on July 08, 2026, 07:10:08 PM
New England lost Rockihgham, Foxboro, Suffolk Downs, Green Mountain, Lewiston, Scarborough Downs, Hinsdale, and a few more i'm sure I left out.
i been to foxboro and green mountain. drove right by hinsdale but was in a hurry to get home
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: mtnskipper on July 08, 2026, 07:15:22 PM
  Hinsdale was fun until the brothers that owned it wouldn't or couldn't pay the simulcast settlement sheets.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: JL52 on July 08, 2026, 07:21:03 PM
New England lost Rockihgham, Foxboro, Suffolk Downs, Green Mountain, Lewiston, Scarborough Downs, Hinsdale, and a few more i'm sure I left out.
plus Lincoln Downs,primarily a tbred track, also it had a brief harness meet, and later the dogs. Plus Narragansett, strictly for the tbreds. A host of dog tracks, too, like Seabrook, Belmont ( a dog track in NH), Wonderland, Raynham, Plainfield. Been to all mentioned by Dougie and by me, except Wonderland and Belmont.. Total prob nearing 120 across US and Canada, probably half are long gone.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 08, 2026, 07:30:18 PM
plus Lincoln Downs,primarily a tbred track, also it had a brief harness meet, and later the dogs. Plus Narragansett, strictly for the tbreds. A host of dog tracks, too, like Seabrook, Belmont ( a dog track in NH), Wonderland, Raynham, Plainfield. Been to all mentioned by Dougie and by me, except Wonderland and Belmont.. Total prob nearing 120 across US and Canada, probably half are long gone.
Kind of sad isn't it. The only ones I was never at  Belmont and Lincoln Downs. Today, the old Seabrook dog track is now the "Brook Casino". One of the places I play poker at.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: GOAT on July 08, 2026, 09:31:32 PM
I'm not sure there were ever 12 pari mutual tracks in Michigan? Are you talking TBred and harness? By the way there are several fair harness tracks still going today.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: rainman2 on July 09, 2026, 09:33:06 AM
I'm not sure there were ever 12 pari mutual tracks in Michigan? Are you talking TBred and harness? By the way there are several fair harness tracks still going today.
Didn’t they race t-breads/quarterhorses at hazel park too??
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 09:36:20 AM
i been to foxboro and green mountain. drove right by hinsdale but was in a hurry to get home
I used to love going to Foxboro. John Hogan was "the man" there! LOL! My brother lives in Brockton, MA so it was a pretty quick ride there.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: rainman2 on July 09, 2026, 09:39:18 AM
Better drivers in Maine right now compared to Kentucky (non stakes race drivers).
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: andrew on July 09, 2026, 09:55:33 AM
I used to love going to Foxboro. John Hogan was "the man" there! LOL! My brother lives in Brockton, MA so it was a pretty quick ride there.
when i went to foxboro it was night,, dark driving back into boston. no gps back then. ended up in roxbury [the harlem of nyc]. was happy getting back on track [pun] into fenway square. heyy was young once. loved every minute of it !!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: JL52 on July 09, 2026, 10:26:13 AM
Didn’t they race t-breads/quarterhorses at hazel park too??
Def raced tbreds, unsure about the quarters
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: JL52 on July 09, 2026, 10:28:19 AM
I used to love going to Foxboro. John Hogan was "the man" there! LOL! My brother lives in Brockton, MA so it was a pretty quick ride there.
Never saw Foxboro as a hmt, only when made it a 5/8 but kept the tight hmt turns. Quite a long stretch. Shame how they let the grandstand run down in its final stages, much like Roosevelt Raceway.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: JL52 on July 09, 2026, 10:30:46 AM
Forgot to mention Taunton dog tracks.
Agree the Maine drivers are better than the non-stakes drivers in Kentucky. But, damn, a lot of the horses in Maine, when you pull them, they just don’t have the energy to go forward. Tough for an up and coming driver to look good when there is no horsepower pulling him.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: old guy on July 09, 2026, 10:34:02 AM
plus Lincoln Downs,primarily a tbred track, also it had a brief harness meet, and later the dogs. Plus Narragansett, strictly for the tbreds. A host of dog tracks, too, like Seabrook, Belmont ( a dog track in NH), Wonderland, Raynham, Plainfield. Been to all mentioned by Dougie and by me, except Wonderland and Belmont.. Total prob nearing 120 across US and Canada, probably half are long gone.

Lincoln Downs one and only harness meet was an experience.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 10:43:30 AM
Better drivers in Maine right now compared to Kentucky (non stakes race drivers).
I agree with that. I did watch a full card from there and didn't know many of the names there. I did notice some guy named Marvin Luna win with some big prices.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 10:44:39 AM
Brandywine, Liberty Bell, and Garden State was my circuit, had very good racing at one time, all long gone.
I loved Liberty Bell. Eddie Davis was the 'big gun" when we used to go there.
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 10:45:45 AM
Forgot to mention Taunton dog tracks.
Agree the Maine drivers are better than the non-stakes drivers in Kentucky. But, damn, a lot of the horses in Maine, when you pull them, they just don’t have the energy to go forward. Tough for an up and coming driver to look good when there is no horsepower pulling him.
Living in Maine gives me a unique prospective on racing here. It's bad! LOL!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 10:48:59 AM
when i went to foxboro it was night,, dark driving back into boston. no gps back then. ended up in roxbury [the harlem of nyc]. was happy getting back on track [pun] into fenway square. heyy was young once. loved every minute of it !!
Foxboro was old and dumpy but the racing was good. My brother lived directly across from Fenway Park in an area called Jamaica Plains. Was a rough area too! Now the areas over there are all "regentrified" with yuppies and dotcom millionaires living there. LOL!
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: Kole Hanover on July 09, 2026, 03:29:29 PM
New England lost Rockihgham, Foxboro, Suffolk Downs, Green Mountain, Lewiston, Scarborough Downs, Hinsdale, and a few more i'm sure I left out.

 Hated to see Rockingham Park, Foxboro, & Scarborough Downs go
Title: Re: I used to go to the harness tracks 5x a week and bet pretty good
Post by: dougie on July 09, 2026, 03:32:45 PM
Hated to see Rockingham Park, Foxboro, & Scarborough Downs go
Me too! I loved Rockingham. I used to chat with Peter Fuller in the clubhouse restaurant when his daughter Abigail used to ride there. Nice guy.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal