Author Topic: Any Canarsie folks here?  (Read 6038 times)

Sam R

• Elite
Re: Any Canarsie folks here?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Mike Venezia was killed by a horse ridden by Robbie Davis. Not long after that Davis quit riding. Now his son Dylan and his 2 daughters Kate and I can't think of the other sister all ride in NY.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2023, 08:29:21 PM »
Just curious if any of you folks are from Canarsie, Brooklyn. I used to hang out at the OTB on Rockaway Parkway a mile or so from the Belt parkway. Great OTB! Used to jump on the "Belt" and be at the "Big A" in 15 minutes. The 70's and 80's had great crowds at Aqueduct. Even on weekdays during the winter meet, you'd see 8,000 to 10,000 people there. Jockey colony included Codero Jr., Maple, Venezia, Velazquez, and Vasquez. The "Big A" had a great clubhouse, nice and warm. Manhatten clam chowder was $2.95 and was a meal. LOL! Just great racing in those days.
I remember back in those days there was also an OTB on the corner of Woodhaven blvd and linden blvd, close to the belt and about a mile from the Big A.
I remember back in those days yelling at cordero in the post parade "MONKEY". Monkey was his nickname and he always smiled when we yelled it. The whole main grandstand had glass doors and it was heated.
Belmont was cold as heck in OCT, the cold wind blew right through the grandstand.
Modify message

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2023, 08:30:36 PM »
Mike Venezia was killed by a horse ridden by Robbie Davis. Not long after that Davis quit riding. Now his son Dylan and his 2 daughters Kate and I can't think of the other sister all ride in NY.
I remember that accident with Venezia on the backstretch during a race. A horse stepped on his head and his eye was even popped out of its socket. A friend of mine thought it was divine justice for Venezia ratting out Jose Amy and getting him banned from racing.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »
Do any of you folks remember a turf horse named SPRINK? He used to run in long turf races and open a 20 length lead early and be lucky if he won by less than a length at the finish. There was a horse named THUNDER PUDDLES that used to catch him most times. Sprink's trainer was Gil Puentes who claimed Sprink the dirt sprinter for 6500 bucks at some out of town track and put him in those marathon turf races on the Aqueduct inner turf track, he was pretty successful, Sprink seemed to like those sharp turns.

talkstohisself

• Top Claimer
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2023, 08:55:48 PM »
Jose Amy testified against Con Errico both banned for life . Errico got ten years.

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2023, 09:00:43 PM »
Jose Amy testified against Con Errico both banned for life . Errico got ten years.
Way way back in the 80's my friend Dominic said more than once that Venezia ratted out Amy, I guess it was just another rumor.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal