Author Topic: I Guess I Need To Educate Some People  (Read 3758 times)

The Exporter

• Elite
Re: I Guess I Need To Educate Some People
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2023, 06:07:27 AM »
In the '70-'80's, we would mix DMSO with other liniments and leg paints. It was always thought to be a catalyst. But also painted legs with DMSO straight, too. 

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 07:55:24 AM »
Same here. I am all for it topically. Seemed like a weird addiitive to a "milkshake". I was a big poultice guy myself, Front legs and feet after every race, except the night I claimed one. Whenever I claimed a horse, we left the horse open that night and he got no grain either after the race. Just cut loose in his stall with some hay. If anything was going to develop inside or out, I wanted to see it in the morning.

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 09:40:13 AM »
Hey mr fuggezi.. by any chance do we know your name?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »
Hey mr fuggezi.. by any chance do we know your name?
Quite possibly, but I would prefer not to put it out here, Ty for understanding. Naturally I am curious about some of the people I am talking to, but I would never ask.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2023, 07:08:58 PM »
LOL. If you think baking soda is masking fentanyl and oxycodone, I have some swampland to sell you. Masking agents are much more sophisticated than a orange box found in aisle 3 at Shop Rite. Please, don't embarrass yourself like that again.

GOOD STUFF CAMPBELL    tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1  If you raced the Roosevelt-Yonkers circuit in the 60's-70's, you definitely know me but don't know it. I was a board changer!

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 10:13:30 PM »
In the '70-'80's, we would mix DMSO with other liniments and leg paints. It was always thought to be a catalyst. But also painted legs with DMSO straight, too.

I believe during this period, the preferred mixture was DMSO and cortisone.  If DMSO got on bare hands, it could be tasted almost immediately.  In medical terms it was referred to as a "Driver" because whatever it was mixed with it got to the joints quite quickly. It was one of my favorites and quite legal, but also alone, it had no healing qualities. Actually, it could be bought legally at any pharmacy as a liquid but mostly in jell form. Vets got rich as most horsemen, with lower case H, thought it thought it could only be bought on the down low, so cudos to this author.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
I can still taste it. I'd bring a brown bottle of DMSO/cortisone in the paddock -- paint joints and coronet bands. Boy did they stomp after that.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »
I can still taste it. I'd bring a brown bottle of DMSO/cortisone in the paddock -- paint joints and coronet bands. Boy did they stomp after that.
Were you the trainer or the groom at the time?

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
Were you the trainer or the groom at the time?

Groom at Monti -- told to conceal the bottle -- why do you ask?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2023, 10:49:16 PM »
Groom at Monti -- told to conceal the bottle -- why do you ask?
Well having to "conceal the bottle" is part of the reason I asked. You and I get along well on here and seem to share similar philosophies and opinions, so I was asking respectfully if this was your idea as trainer or you were under orders. You already answered that tmbz1

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2023, 11:01:46 PM »
Well having to "conceal the bottle" is part of the reason I asked. You and I get along well on here and seem to share similar philosophies and opinions, so I was asking respectfully if this was your idea as trainer or you were under orders. You already answered that tmbz1

Got it.  Back when they had the outdoor paddock -- only one I know. Rubbed horses and 2nd. trained New York/Meadowlands for seven years -- trained when I got to the west coast/ Hollywood Park/Los Al/Sac in the 80s.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2023, 11:06:45 PM »
I always felt DMSO was rough on the coronary bands of the hoof/made them turn to tissue paper the way leaving them too wet would. I differed from some colleagues in that I liked DMSO more on soft tissue/tendons/ligaments than joints. Do you remember a very good trainer who vanished named Dennis Gingras. His barn reeked of it. wonder what became of him. Ran a good outfit. Was very tight with Luc.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2023, 11:15:55 PM »
Don't know him.  I mainly used it on joints especially knees. I remember getting it from Roy Sadovsky a vet at Monti/then N.Y. and N.J. He told me it works best on joints. His father trained -- George.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2023, 11:23:50 PM »
Don't know him.  I mainly used it on joints especially knees. I remember getting it from Roy Sadovsky a vet at Monti/then N.Y. and N.J. He told me it works best on joints. His father trained -- George.
yeah, Roy was the vet who fooled with radium pellets when he was operating at YR. I know he put them in Curragh, Gerry Hade's SS champ and eventual Open Pacer. Right knee. Would use a Geiger counter to check them to see when they were dead. Roy smokes. The combination killed him young.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2023, 11:30:43 PM »
One thing I always did that I'll share is - I always jugged a horse the day after every race -- and occasionally before a race.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Where in the world did this rash come from?
    Today at 03:02:53 PM
  • Calhoun: Bos-Tor .. G7 .. O6 .. IYKYK
    May 04, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ XYZ, puttin Palestinians in their place.
    April 30, 2024, 09:25:33 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: The Original WIZ was the best.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:44 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Jerry is the new WIZ at the Ohio tracks.
    April 30, 2024, 05:18:23 PM
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal