Author Topic: Springfield and DuQuoin cards  (Read 2538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sledge hammer

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1712
Springfield and DuQuoin cards
« on: June 19, 2024, 12:08:30 PM »
Why are these cards non-betting?
Doesn't this basically eliminate whatever minuscule interest there was from the general public? If there's betting, they show up on some ADW's and in some OTB's. I'm sure more people would attend/pay attention, definitely some more eyes on the racing. How does that hurt?
I don't get it.

Papillon

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2609
Re: Springfield and DuQuoin cards
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 12:36:39 PM »
Why are these cards non-betting?
Doesn't this basically eliminate whatever minuscule interest there was from the general public? If there's betting, they show up on some ADW's and in some OTB's. I'm sure more people would attend/pay attention, definitely some more eyes on the racing. How does that hurt?
I don't get it.

i agree with all of this--but it probably cost them too much to put out their signal and financially not worth it.

old guy

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1217
Re: Springfield and DuQuoin cards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 12:43:21 PM »
It’s Illinois.

Bitter Truth

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2644
Re: Springfield and DuQuoin cards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 12:43:58 PM »
Plus the on-site pari mutual costs. I know a number of Ohio fairs have dropped betting because
of the cost and really that's all Springfield + DuQuoin are, glorified county fairs.

seriously

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Springfield and DuQuoin cards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 12:49:02 PM »
Why are these cards non-betting?
Doesn't this basically eliminate whatever minuscule interest there was from the general public? If there's betting, they show up on some ADW's and in some OTB's. I'm sure more people would attend/pay attention, definitely some more eyes on the racing. How does that hurt?
I don't get it.

100%!   

Man, and for a guy that grew up in Illinios and loved Illinois harness racing, this sucks.  But, I can tell you that last year when they went to this non-betting, non-televised meeting at the fairs, I all but lost total interest.  It is sad, and my memories are strong, but the reality is, Burger Chef and Jeff doesn't exist anymore, and I'm fine. 

Cultivate and coddle your customer base.  Or else something else will. 

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: Door yes, your mousehole, no.
    October 03, 2026, 11:50:19 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Can you fit thru the front door?
    October 03, 2026, 11:41:41 PM
  • Ignorance Is Bliss: "gonna"  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    October 03, 2026, 11:28:17 PM
  • Trigger: Kirby you know how to tie a noose knot   ngc3
    October 03, 2026, 11:03:15 PM
  • Trigger: Kirby which Flanagan's do you eat out of their dumpster?  ngc3
    October 03, 2026, 10:59:39 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Of
    October 03, 2026, 10:57:07 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Lot of that in you're area. But eh. Whatevers your cup if tea!
    October 03, 2026, 10:56:46 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: You have moved on  :1
    October 03, 2026, 10:55:45 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal