Author Topic: Name top 5 drivers all time  (Read 3603 times)

mgriffin

• Open / FFA
Re: Name top 5 drivers all time
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2024, 08:10:24 AM »
Maybe everyone here should pick 2 from each decade
1950’s through the 2020’s
Tough to compare the past to the present on this

Agree, especially if you never saw guys from the 50's, 60's and so forth race consistently.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2024, 09:08:26 AM »
I think it would be fun to rate the regular drivers by track in various decades. Monticello would be interesting because it was such a great proving ground when drivers like Carmine, Loosh, Cat and others started their climbs there. Then you had next tier drivers like Marvin Maker, Levi and Eldon Harner, the Popfingers, the Pattersons, Zeke Parker, the Gilmores, Jim Grundy and for a short time Benny Webster tore the place up while not being allowed downstate during a long suspension. Then honorable mention to John Manzi who was one of the greatest track promoters ever after ending his short driving career. In my opinion MR overall was the greatest harness track. Miss and Mrs Monticello beauty contests, Ostrich, Elephant and Pet Dog exhibition races, Rock n Racing doubleheaders with big time singers all for free!! Brothers where has all of this gone?

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2024, 09:20:47 AM »
Great place back in the day. Fun place to race, lot of great horses to watch.

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2024, 09:35:23 AM »
On my list would be the drivers from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's.
They had to be good to win with the knee knocking, cross firering, bad gaited, and lame run aways of that era.
Today's drivers get to throw the lines at more natural gaited stronger horses that have the benefit for up to date vet work.
On my list would be national dash winning champs Don Busse and Bob Farrington.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

PucksnHorses

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2024, 10:36:42 AM »
None of the current drivers can or should be considered. They are too friendly with each other especially the grand circuit drivers. They know they are all making a ton of money, and they all will get their turn, so there is not much hardball played these days. Best driver I ever seen in person was Walter Case, he really could get one to go. Because of his problems he can't be considered the best ever, but if you lineup every driver in their prime, and you needed one win, he is at the top of that list.

Ramone

• Top Claimer
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2024, 10:46:21 AM »
On my list would be the drivers from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's.

I go back to like forever and you might expect me to admire the headliners of yesteryear. I wish I could but the drivers (including me) were horrible and to a man they were brutal to the horses. We all looked up to the greats of the day but now when I watch the grainy videos I want to cover my eyes.

IL guy is retired

• Stakes Horse
  • horses make the humans not the other way around
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2024, 11:21:31 AM »
An interesting thought process. Top 5 all time but other than one's own opinion of...skill? Wins? talent?

I mean for example, I doubt anyone was better than JC in money events. I doubt ANY driver ever had as much literal talent as Walter Case Jr. I also doubt as it goes for driving the day in and outs of Tony Morgan.
 Then it goes to the greats of the now distant past. Say Herve, who has to be on that list.
Dave Magee was as good with every type of horse and dominated a really solid driving colony for 20 years.

I think you can only be X amount of good and you're splitting hairs as to personal preferences. Success isn't the end all be all when it comes to this kind of topic. Makes for a great discussion for those who love the game.

My five would be, John Campbell, Dave Magee, Tony Morgan, Herve Fillion, and on simply pure talent Walter Case.
Horses make the humans, not the other way around.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2024, 12:43:30 PM »
Luc

Campbell

Lachance

O’Donnell

Tony Morgan
(Tie)
Tim tetrick
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

LimeTime

• Top Claimer
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2024, 12:50:56 PM »
John Campbell,Palone, Bill Gale, jeff James, Mario Ballargion

JENNY FROM THE BLOCK

• Top Claimer
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 01:00:20 PM »
WOW I WENT BACK AND SKIMMED ALL 3 PAGES. NOT ONE PERSON MENTIONED DAVE PALONE. INTERESTING.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 01:06:21 PM »
Campbell, Case, Pierce, LaChance, Purple Jesus

MOHAWK FREAK

• 4 claimer
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2024, 01:50:31 PM »
1)  Tetrick
2)  Case
3)  Dave Miller
4)  Brennen
5)  Louis P. Roy

Superfecta

• Elite
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2024, 03:54:46 PM »
Mike LaChance
Ron Pierce
Carmine Abbatiello
John Campbell
William O'Donnell

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2024, 04:39:39 PM »
An interesting thought process. Top 5 all time but other than one's own opinion of...skill? Wins? talent?

I mean for example, I doubt anyone was better than JC in money events. I doubt ANY driver ever had as much literal talent as Walter Case Jr. I also doubt as it goes for driving the day in and outs of Tony Morgan.
 Then it goes to the greats of the now distant past. Say Herve, who has to be on that list.
Dave Magee was as good with every type of horse and dominated a really solid driving colony for 20 years.

I think you can only be X amount of good and you're splitting hairs as to personal preferences. Success isn't the end all be all when it comes to this kind of topic. Makes for a great discussion for those who love the game.

My five would be, John Campbell, Dave Magee, Tony Morgan, Herve Fillion, and on simply pure talent Walter Case.

Campbell could still drive with the best at the meadowlands if he had to at the present time. Campbell had a knack of being in the right place at the right time than most other drivers. It didn’t hurt any that he might have had better horses to drive also.

getreal

• Open / FFA
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2024, 06:51:46 PM »
1.David Miller
2. John Campbell
3. Wally Hennessey
4. Ron Pierce
5. Walter Case Jr

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: See you live opening night at Scioto Downs May 8, Live Bets and real gambling
    April 27, 2024, 10:03:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: Egg on my face $22.20
    April 27, 2024, 09:35:17 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's your boob in race 6 waiting on price
    April 27, 2024, 09:32:14 PM
  • Unclejerry: Race 5 bet has been posted
    April 27, 2024, 08:58:28 PM
  • Unclejerry: There's going to be a price in Jerry's Thread Tonight !!!
    April 27, 2024, 08:49:13 PM
  • Unclejerry: In race 4
    April 27, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
  • Unclejerry: Super/Tri/Eacta just given out in Jerrys thread !
    April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
  • Unclejerry: Check Jerry's thread often bets are being made and posted
    April 27, 2024, 07:15:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal