Author Topic: Bute Positives  (Read 3253 times)

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
Bute Positives
« on: December 11, 2023, 04:37:27 PM »
https://harnesslink.com/usa/leading-trainers-railroaded-by-judy-nason-njrc-with-bute-positives/

Harnesslink has learned that in the coming days, a group comprising Marcus Melander, Nifty Norman, Brett Pelling, Kelvin Harrison, Kevin McDermott and Jeff Cullipher will be charged with administering phenylbutazone within the pre-race withholding period as per the rules of the New Jersey Racing Commission (NJRC).

The charges date back to the 2020 racing season when, at the onset of the calendar year, the New Jersey Administrative Code read that a phenylbutazone was “not to be administered within the 24 hours before post time for the race in which the horse is entered.”

At the appeal hearing before the judge, there was no evidence available from the NJRC to prove it had taken any formal steps to communicate with industry stakeholders about the change. The judge therefore ruled in favor of the group, which was represented by the SBOANJ, granting the appeal. The ruling was then sent back to the NJRC, which has the power to overrule the decision.

Harnesslink understands that the commissioner, Judy Nason, decided to uphold the charges as originally delivered with members of the group being sentenced to both a monetary fine and disqualification pertaining to each of the overages.

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
Re: Bute Positives
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 04:39:23 PM »
Apparently New jersey changed the rules and didn't let anyone know

Expat New Zealander and New Jersey horseman Kelvin Harrison was one of the first to learn of the rules breach after being notified by his veterinarian.

“The Bute application rule in the state of New Jersey has been a withholding period of 24 hours for as long as I can remember, and I have been here involved in North American harness racing since 1978,” he said.

“We came back racing after the pandemic and I won a couple of races right off the hop and before long I was informed that a couple of my horses had thrown positives for Bute.

The rule had been changed from 24 hours to 48 hours, however, nobody I could find including my veterinarian was aware of the rules having changed. Each individual racing commission has its own rules and we have raced in New York under the 48-hour withholding period for many years and never had a problem. Everyone is aware of the rule and adheres to it without a hitch.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 04:50:24 PM »
Here we go again.    Innocence of the law is no excuse….    And.. I can’t believe this handful of trainers were the only ones giving their horses bute. 

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »
New Jersey, trying to clean up a mess by making it bigger, Bute for Christ's sake. I guess they're starting at the bottom, gonna crack down.

Stan durbread

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 05:07:47 PM »
Here we go again.    Innocence of the law is no excuse….    And.. I can’t believe this handful of trainers were the only ones giving their horses bute.
So you think a trainer should know they changed the cutoff time on a medication without any notice?  BTW the NJRC website still had bute listed as 24 hours last week. 3 years later and they haven’t even bothered to change the website

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »
Correct. Also, what I think most here are ignoring is the fact that last time I checked, bute was still a presciption drug. Now yes, many are going to say everyone gives their horse bute but the letter of the law reads that giving a horse even 2 bute tablets is illegal without a prescription for that specific horse. If an actual licensed veterinarian gave one of those horses bute that came up positive, then that trainer should be found not guilty of that positive and the vet should take the fall. If the trainer administered the bute on their own, then they should face the music regardless of whether or not the withdrawal time was changed without their knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:11:29 PM by MIKE CAMPBELL »

bond

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 06:24:20 PM »
Correct. Also, what I think most here are ignoring is the fact that last time I checked, bute was still a presciption drug. Now yes, many are going to say everyone gives their horse bute but the letter of the law reads that giving a horse even 2 bute tablets is illegal without a prescription for that specific horse. If an actual licensed veterinarian gave one of those horses bute that came up positive, then that trainer should be found not guilty of that positive and the vet should take the fall. If the trainer administered the bute on their own, then they should face the music regardless of whether or not the withdrawal time was changed without their knowledge.
Mike-you are 100% correct--HOWEVER-the NJRC is not one to overturn  ANY of their rulings---the vets DID administer the BUTE--nothing happened to the Vets and the same incident has happened in the past with other Prescription Meds.
One trainer was told "You could have a video of your Vet administering the meds-you are still responsible" IMHO-that is BS.. I could see their point a little bit--because I know of a few scumbag trainers-who would just ask a Vet to give the horse some bute/banamine whatever-not advising the vet the horse was in to go--then if he came up positive--just blame the Vet let him take the hit.
I liked Pellings response--said hes raced about 7000 races and the Vets give all the shots--he doesnt inject anything
Who believes that??? ngc3

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
Mike-you are 100% correct--HOWEVER-the NJRC is not one to overturn  ANY of their rulings---the vets DID administer the BUTE--nothing happened to the Vets and the same incident has happened in the past with other Prescription Meds.
One trainer was told "You could have a video of your Vet administering the meds-you are still responsible" IMHO-that is BS.. I could see their point a little bit--because I know of a few scumbag trainers-who would just ask a Vet to give the horse some bute/banamine whatever-not advising the vet the horse was in to go--then if he came up positive--just blame the Vet let him take the hit.
I liked Pellings response--said hes raced about 7000 races and the Vets give all the shots--he doesnt inject anything
State commissions are full of idiots. I ended up leaving NY because I couldn't deal with the incompetence of the NY Gaming Commission. At least in PA, they will listen to your appeal. i haven't dealt with NJ for a very long time. 

Ramone

• Top Claimer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 06:43:23 PM »

I do.

Kirby's Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 06:50:39 PM »
State commissions are full of idiots. I ended up leaving NY because I couldn't deal with the incompetence of the NY Gaming Commission. At least in PA, they will listen to your appeal. i haven't dealt with NJ for a very long time.

Need the new horseman's representative! SCM!
In the words of SCM,,I GOTTA EAT!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 09:54:05 PM »
Need the new horseman's representative! SCM!
LOL

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 10:31:51 PM »
this whole thing is a joke
waste of time and money

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 10:35:10 PM »
I remember a time when you could race on bute. You had to get on a list, just like lasix.

jupiter

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 12:20:31 PM »
Used to be able to use Amacar too.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 12:35:40 PM »
this whole thing is a joke
waste of time and money
Not to those who raced their horses without bute and got beat

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
  • In It Deep: Hi Liberals
    June 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
    May 24, 2024, 08:05:54 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal