Author Topic: Tropical Park Harness Meet  (Read 2453 times)

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
Tropical Park Harness Meet
« on: August 31, 2023, 12:15:10 PM »
I say Harness Meet because I think they only raced one short meet.
1968 maybe 69
Miami, FL.
We raced on a synthetic Tartan track like the one first installed at The Meadows. The track was build on the inside of the dirt mile track.
We shared the barn area with the tbreds. They had use of the track till 10:00AM, and we had it from 10:15 to 1:00.
It was not a happy marriage!
The manure pits were right next to the race track. If you were carrying your manure basket out to empty, a exercise rider might call out some obscenities toward you. All you had to do was make a fast movement with the manure basket, the tbred would sudden stop, and the exercise rider would go flying over the horses head. Fun Fun Fun at the old racetrack.
The tartan track was something like 9/10 of a mile.
No electronic timer.
Anyone care to guess what the signal was to start the hand held stop watches?
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
Re: Tropical Park Harness Meet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 05:21:08 PM »
The track was short so the start of a mile race was a few hundred feet up the stretch. Hard to judge were to start the watches from the judges stand. They had a man with a flag at the starting pole.
When the first horse would past the start pole he would drop the flag, and the judges in the booth would start their stop watches.
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
That sounds like a Boujie ass place! I wish I could have gone there!

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 08:25:55 AM »
That sounds like a Boujie ass place! I wish I could have gone there!
Now I got to go to google to look up Boujie.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 11:41:10 PM »

My parents were in the breeding end as I was strictly a Claiming guy.  My parents were quite friendly with Doctor Gault from Ohio who was very active in Harness Racing. To that end, amongst others, he owned the fastest trotting bred pacer at TropicaL Park. The horse was retired to stud at my parents Horse Farm as a favor.  His name was Duke's Son (1:58.2) by Duke of Lullwater. No big deal since Tropical Park, owned by the Van Lenneps, owners of Pompano Park closed after a very short period, closed due to lack of interest. No big deal, I just found nothing better to do late in the evening.

Bon Soire

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 08:08:28 AM »

My parents were in the breeding end as I was strictly a Claiming guy.  My parents were quite friendly with Doctor Gault from Ohio who was very active in Harness Racing. To that end, amongst others, he owned the fastest trotting bred pacer at TropicaL Park. The horse was retired to stud at my parents Horse Farm as a favor.  His name was Duke's Son (1:58.2) by Duke of Lullwater. No big deal since Tropical Park, owned by the Van Lenneps, owners of Pompano Park closed after a very short period, closed due to lack of interest. No big deal, I just found nothing better to do late in the evening.

Bon Soire
Duke's Son
As I recall he had the biggest feet I had ever seen on a race horse.
The other horse I remember was Fairmead Chief with his white legs painted with Ball Solution.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 04:45:56 PM »
Duke's Son
The other horse I remember was Fairmead Chief with his white legs painted with Ball Solution.

Ball's solution and DMSO.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »
Now I got to go to google to look up Boujie.
Ghetto Fabulous! ngc3(sez the 60yr old white guy) ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 ngc3 tmbz1

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 08:53:25 PM »
Duke's Son

You know, sometimes you can tell someone is truthful when their posts reflect minor things that are on the money and not on Google, etc.
Duke's Son did have the biggest hooves I have ever seen on a race horse also. He stood at my parents "Newmarket Farm" in Reddick, Florida. The fact that you know that is incredibly impressive.     tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Kirby's Ace: Why? Your already here!
    Today at 12:20:48 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Admin Bring back XYZ.
    March 28, 2024, 10:02:39 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes XYZ you are missed
    March 28, 2024, 09:56:46 PM
  • Mazola: Hey XYZ, miss you buddy!
    March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 PM
  • FirstUpFrom8Hole: Do Piff Daddy know Antiqua has an extradition treaty wif the US of A?
    March 28, 2024, 06:39:42 PM
  • Calhoun: Some White Boy Diddy gave a ride to got popped for Coke and Edibles.
    March 28, 2024, 03:24:42 PM
  • Papillon: TMZ tracked Puff Daddy in Antigua, the West Indies. I don't think he is coming back.
    March 28, 2024, 12:49:49 PM
  • The Thorn: Alligning oneself with the Puff Diddler is probably not a politically correct move at this point
    March 28, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal