Author Topic: Aurora Downs/ Washington Park  (Read 772 times)

GOAT

• NW-1
Aurora Downs/ Washington Park
« on: March 19, 2024, 06:23:38 PM »
Does anyone remember going to Aurora Downs/Washington Park in the Chicagoland  area?

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
Re: Aurora Downs/ Washington Park
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 08:09:54 PM »
That was a great era of IL. racing.
Aurora Downs an old run down half mile track. Raced in the dead of winter. Race on ice Saturday night and then mud Sunday afternoon.
I had a real nice horse that is going to make his first PM start. I had won some county fair races with him.
He is in where I think he can win. I wait till the blacksmith is just about done putting new shoes on him.
I tell the blacksmith
"I think I can win with this horse. Instead of paying you now lets split the purse check 50/50". He drops the leg and is mad as hell. Proceeds to tell me "NO WAY BUDDY"
"If you can't pay get the hell out of here". Now I had to pay him before he would finish.
The horse won easy. So now I go back in and tell him how much money he could have made.
He says " You weren't really going to make that deal were you"? 
I say "Hell no I was just putting you on".
We became good friends for a lot of years.
Good Days at Aurora.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:37:14 PM by Meadow Ford »
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:35:48 PM »
Washington Park
A big mile tbred track with thirty or so big barns.
A big track kitchen that was always busy.
Afternoon card games and pool games. Always something going on. I use to love to watch Connel (Snake) Willis shoot pool.
I went to Washington Park with a one horse stable.
After a couple starts he was claimed by Jesse Willis. Nelson and Connel Willis's brother.
When I took the papers in Bob Larry asked what I was going to do now.
I said " I am going to go home, watch the corn grow, race some fairs, and come back next year with a bigger trailer"!
I am just an old horse trainer still going around in circles. Sometimes Fast. Sometimes Half-Fast.

GOAT

• NW-1
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:31:33 AM »
My father use to bribe me into getting a haircut then take me to Washington Park. I had a distant relative that owned a harness turf supply business on the backstretch.

Meadow Ford

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 09:28:51 AM »
AH The Harness Shop.
Back in the day the harness shop had that great smell of new leather. A great smell!
Also a good source of right on inside betting info and gossip.
Today it has the no smell of plastic.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Superpuncher110099: Let’s go!!!
    Today at 01:02:56 PM
  • Superpuncher110099: Sweet
    Today at 01:02:48 PM
  • Superpuncher110099: Their off and racing
    Today at 01:02:43 PM
  • Superpuncher110099: John Wayne
    Today at 12:36:58 PM
  • Superpuncher110099: Clyde oglesby
    Today at 12:35:45 PM
  • JOHN FRANK: JOHN FRANK ARMY gonna say one more thin. I would guess the RELIGION is EVANGELICA. Not sure about the morals of that. But HENRY the 8th set the STANDARD.
    Today at 09:36:29 AM
  • JOHN FRANK: I think,JOHN WAYNE{ The most important thin about ADMIN: Be his NATIONALITY as a ICELANDER. Quite a national diversity as ORIGIN.
    Today at 08:43:27 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Time to wake up Admin. Bring back XYZ, this place needs resuscitation.
    April 25, 2024, 01:57:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal