Author Topic: Excessive Whipping  (Read 7555 times)

mgriffin

• Open / FFA
Re: Excessive Whipping
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 09:27:49 AM »
How about a link to that race? Would love to see the stretch run.

Harness Stats

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
Here's a link to that day's card.  It was the 6th race.  There is a play button on the top right of the results of that race

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=GP041220#GPM04122003

the master

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
As long as drivers carry a whip, there will always be controversy.  I have been driving horses for 50 years and can tell you that some horses surely need a wake up call but how the pilot can deliver it is the question.  The great ones,  always knew how to do it without much fanfare.  I remember Herve would come back with a horse and you would never even see him whipping however inside the right stifle, you would find 3 surgical like lacerations.  Other drivers would be sure to get a horses respect or attention before the start so that just the threat of the whip will make a horse go on.  I have told clients to put on another driver because I felt the horse was cheating on me and they needed someone to wake them up!  Some drivers are definitely better on rats that don't try.  I've gotten a few whip infractions over the years and yes they were well deserved as they were often administered out of frustration because I was displeased with a horses effort.  Todays drivers have developed a technique where they can lay into one while keeping both hands in the handholds!  I guess there will always be controversy and rules which,  by the way,  vary from track to track and it is wise to bone up on them before the race as it can get very expensive.  The one thing that I can say for certain is that carrying a whip is mandatory as any driver that lost his early in the race can attest.  Slapping one with the lines will only get you so far!

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
As long as drivers carry a whip, there will always be controversy.  I have been driving horses for 50 years and can tell you that some horses surely need a wake up call but how the pilot can deliver it is the question.  The great ones,  always knew how to do it without much fanfare.  I remember Herve would come back with a horse and you would never even see him whipping however inside the right stifle, you would find 3 surgical like lacerations.  Other drivers would be sure to get a horses respect or attention before the start so that just the threat of the whip will make a horse go on.  I have told clients to put on another driver because I felt the horse was cheating on me and they needed someone to wake them up!  Some drivers are definitely better on rats that don't try.  I've gotten a few whip infractions over the years and yes they were well deserved as they were often administered out of frustration because I was displeased with a horses effort.  Todays drivers have developed a technique where they can lay into one while keeping both hands in the handholds!  I guess there will always be controversy and rules which,  by the way,  vary from track to track and it is wise to bone up on them before the race as it can get very expensive.  The one thing that I can say for certain is that carrying a whip is mandatory as any driver that lost his early in the race can attest.  Slapping one with the lines will only get you so far!

tmbz1

Harnessfan902

• Open / FFA
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
The meadowlands has a brutal policy and tough fines.   Wonder if they will follow through with it

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
The meadowlands has a brutal policy and tough fines.   Wonder if they will follow through with it

They only let certain cheats drop in the box, so who knows?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Kirby's Ace: Why? Your already here!
    Today at 12:20:48 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Admin Bring back XYZ.
    March 28, 2024, 10:02:39 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Yes XYZ you are missed
    March 28, 2024, 09:56:46 PM
  • Mazola: Hey XYZ, miss you buddy!
    March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 PM
  • FirstUpFrom8Hole: Do Piff Daddy know Antiqua has an extradition treaty wif the US of A?
    March 28, 2024, 06:39:42 PM
  • Calhoun: Some White Boy Diddy gave a ride to got popped for Coke and Edibles.
    March 28, 2024, 03:24:42 PM
  • Papillon: TMZ tracked Puff Daddy in Antigua, the West Indies. I don't think he is coming back.
    March 28, 2024, 12:49:49 PM
  • The Thorn: Alligning oneself with the Puff Diddler is probably not a politically correct move at this point
    March 28, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal