Author Topic: SHOULD ALL RACING ON HALF MILE AND 5/8 BE HANDICAPPED??  (Read 1687 times)

bond

• Elite
SHOULD ALL RACING ON HALF MILE AND 5/8 BE HANDICAPPED??
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »
Over the last decade handle at these tracks have plummeted--due of course to many factors--however I believe a lot of it has to do with races being over before they start.
Drivers are allowed to pick-and that leaves the best drivers on the best horses in the best spots. Nice for them--but it decimates the handle because the rest of the field isnt bet much at all=unattractive betting options.
At least if races were handicapped--then betting is more even-making it more attractive to bet .
They handicap T/Brds-they handicap Open paces in harness-sometimes--but other races are crying out to be handicapped with way too many races being unbettable.
JMO.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
Re: SHOULD ALL RACING ON HALF MILE AND 5/8 BE HANDICAPPED??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »
Over the last decade handle at these tracks have plummeted--due of course to many factors--however I believe a lot of it has to do with races being over before they start.
Drivers are allowed to pick-and that leaves the best drivers on the best horses in the best spots. Nice for them--but it decimates the handle because the rest of the field isnt bet much at all=unattractive betting options.
At least if races were handicapped--then betting is more even-making it more attractive to bet .
They handicap T/Brds-they handicap Open paces in harness-sometimes--but other races are crying out to be handicapped with way too many races being unbettable.
JMO.

Interesting observation.

DICK FURLONG

• 4 claimer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
 ALL HALF MILE TRACKS SHOULD BE THE INNNERMOST OVAL AT A REAL RACETRACK  FROM THE GRANDSTAND OUT, TURF COURSE, DIRT OVAL, INNER TURF, BUGGIES. 

IF YOU SAY, THAT LEAVES THE HARNESS PEOPLE WITH A TERRIBLE VIEW, I WOULD SAY.. YEAH, SO WHAT?

HHTremor

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
I think harness racing needs uniformity. I think all 1/2 mile and 5/8th's mile tracks should have a passing lane to give the horses and the gamblers a fair chance at winning. I think all harness race tracks should use a staggered starting gate. 

bond

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »
I think harness racing needs uniformity. I think all 1/2 mile and 5/8th's mile tracks should have a passing lane to give the horses and the gamblers a fair chance at winning. I think all harness race tracks should use a staggered starting gate. 
Disagree my friend.  The passing lane didn’t increase handle.It also is not going to change the Indian file pet walks. The staggered gate doesn’t really work because just think about it. If all horses leave the same then the outside horses gain momentum running down the banked turn actually gain momentum.Thats why if you look at stats-the rail is actually a disadvantage with the 345 being the better posts where staggered gates used.I agree races need uniformity—the way to do that is to handicap the field or/or stop leading drivers picking out the best horses with the best posts. Once that happens the other drivers wont try-just maybe look for a check.

Dingus

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »
Disagree my friend.  The passing lane didn’t increase handle.It also is not going to change the Indian file pet walks. The staggered gate doesn’t really work because just think about it. If all horses leave the same then the outside horses gain momentum running down the banked turn actually gain momentum.Thats why if you look at stats-the rail is actually a disadvantage with the 345 being the better posts where staggered gates used.I agree races need uniformity—the way to do that is to handicap the field or/or stop leading drivers picking out the best horses with the best posts. Once that happens the other drivers wont try-just maybe look for a check.

Draw post positions after drivers have made their choice

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Kirby's Ace the most trusted individual in harness racing... at least in his mind. ngc3
    Today at 09:32:43 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only loose ends are the entrails of Delaware residents.
    Today at 09:27:22 AM
  • Kirby's Ace: Hopefully Admon is cleaning up loose ands and you know what that means!
    April 17, 2024, 11:26:37 PM
  • Unclejerry: COCK-A-DODDLE-DO is the rooster in a pile of PLOP
    April 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Was that a trick question?
    April 16, 2024, 08:37:43 PM
  • ROOSTER COGBURN: Only other Sand Rats I suppose?
    April 16, 2024, 08:37:30 PM
  • Unclejerry: Who care's about a bunch of sand rats, Im more concerned about Joe turning this country into a 3rd world shithole.
    April 16, 2024, 04:41:48 PM
  • dougie: Why can't people just talk harness racing instead of politics?
    April 16, 2024, 12:11:21 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal